• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
  1. Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I wasted a lot of my spare time once while listening to that 3 CD score... I was completely bored by it, not to mention all of the tracks were synthesized droning that gave me a headache. I much prefer the orchestral renditions, of which I made a 7-8 minute suite.

confused Bored ?!
    Ok , 86 tracks is a lot to digest but there are some excellent tracks in there !
    I'm gonna make my own compilation of my fav's from it .
    The last Medal of Honor game score , that was boring in my book but each to his own .
    Luckily we all don't have the same tastes or it would be a boring world indeed my friend ... wink

You sure we're talking about the same album? This one. I thought it was insanely repetitive and monothematic, to the point of headache-inducing. But you're entitled to like it, if that's your thing. beer

And Djawadi's MOH score was indeed crap and the less said about it the better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

Really? I thought you - of all else, would like it! I did for once, and i am playing ti very often. I'd love to know why you thought it was crap wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011 edited

Thanks Tom.

I'm not sure you needed to start on about the sound quality and how best to listen to it in the body of the review though. I found myself skimming this to find more on the music.

Maybe you should consider a separate piece on your site for this?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Really? I thought you - of all else, would like it! I did for once, and i am playing ti very often. I'd love to know why you thought it was crap wink

The lack of a theme, for starters.

The lack of an orchestral sound, secondly.

The lack of anything memorable, lastly.

If you know why I love Giacchino's work for the series, I shouldn't have to explain why I think Djawadi's take on it is loathsome. It speaks for itself really.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. There is a theme and it's quite memorable. Listen to Heroes Aboard. And yes, the strings are live.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a theme and it's quite memorable. Listen to Heroes Aboard. And yes, the strings are live.

True.

I thought it had very sentimental writing and a couple of beautiful themes.

Why do you mention Giacchino, i am not comparing the work of the two.

I thought you were a fan of Djawadi?
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    uhm

Double uhm

-Agora (Dario Marianelli) <-- This is superb!
    -Dreamer (John Debney) <-- Ordinary Debney melodrama.
    -Children of Men (John Tavener) <-- All classical music. It might not be your cup of tea and I respect that.
    -Cherry 2000 (Basil Poledouris) <-- Dynamite!
    -Airport (Alfred Newman) <-- goodness gracious... this is a wicked score. Killer title music!
    -An Unfinished Life (Christopher Young) <-- Calm, soothing... what exactly were you expecting?
    -The Man Who Knew Too Little (Christopher Young) <-- Delightful jazz score.
    -Tangled (Alan Menken) <-- One of the best scores of 2010
    -The Ninth Gate (Wojciech Kilar) <-- Incredibly dark and very well written.
    -The Count of Monte Cristo (Edward Shearmur) <-- One of Shearmur's finest efforts and one of the best scores written in 2002! Great end title cue!
    -The Boy Who Could Fly (Bruce Broughton) <-- You are off your rocker, my friend! Bloody brilliant score with an ifectious and highly memorable main theme!
    -Notes on a Scandal (Philip Glass) <-- Not a huge fan of Glass.
    -I Want to be a Shellfish (Joe Hisaishi) <-- Hisaishi rarely writes anything bad and this isn't one of them.
    -The Ghost and the Darkness (Jerry Goldsmith) <-- Great score that transports you to Africa and has a definite emotional backbone!

-Erik-

Triple uhm!

Nice descriptions although i'd add that

NOTES ON A SCANDAL and
    CHILDREN OF MEN

Also work wonders in their respective films.

Quadruple uhm

I Want to Be a Shellfish is great orchestral melodrama and Airport boasts one of the best opening title pieces ever written.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a theme and it's quite memorable. Listen to Heroes Aboard. And yes, the strings are live.

True.

I thought it had very sentimental writing and a couple of beautiful themes.

Why do you mention Giacchino, i am not comparing the work of the two.

I thought you were a fan of Djawadi?

What? Pawel didn't mention Giacchino, I did. And where in the hell did I state I was a fan of Djawadi? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i was talking to you, nobody compared MOH with Giacchino's work. It's a wholly different thing but it's ok if you don't like it! smile Sorry i thought you were a fan of Djawadi; didn't you like iron man and clash of the titans and all?
  5. Scribe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Scribe wrote
    You don't even like The King's Speech, you're the wrong person to ask about scores like these wink

but I've heard 2000 scores in my life, then I know exactly what's interesting and what's not tongue

Well, I've only heard about 800, but I was just starting out when your review site already had hundreds of reviews... tongue wink

800 is not bad either, hope you had less stinkers than I did
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, i was talking to you, nobody compared MOH with Giacchino's work. It's a wholly different thing but it's ok if you don't like it! smile Sorry i thought you were a fan of Djawadi; didn't you like iron man and clash of the titans and all?

bro brought up Giacchino because let's face it, for most of us he's still not the LOST guy but the MOH guy, and so I can see why my brother brings that up
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Isn't he? I think GIacchino is way more LOST during the last years than MOH wink
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Isn't he? I think GIacchino is way more LOST during the last years than MOH wink

yeah, that's true, but for us who discovered him during the MOH period, it's still the man of MOH and not perse of LOST

either way, I wish he would go back to the sound of MOH and abandon the LOST sound a bit
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    either way, I wish he would go back to the sound of MOH and abandon the LOST sound a bit

While I would love that too the LOST sound, according to Giacchino is his "sound."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

While I would love that too the LOST sound, according to Giacchino is his "sound."

-Erik-

I did discover him during MOH too, don't compare the 2 though; it's very unfair to him. What could moh and lost and their respective musical needs possibly have in common?!
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

he has matured, and it's now his sound, but I liked his older sound more smile

then again, I could say the same of early Horner and Williams and late Horner and Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    What could moh and lost and their respective musical needs possibly have in common?!

Giacchino.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

I did discover him during MOH too, don't compare the 2 though; it's very unfair to him. What could moh and lost and their respective musical needs possibly have in common?!

again nothing, but I just still think he's that MOH composer, while the latter generation thinks of him now as the LOST composer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    What could moh and lost and their respective musical needs possibly have in common?!

Giacchino.

-Erik-

wink Smart indeed.

Different shows, different mediums, totally different musical needs. For what LOST is, he wrote some brilliant music too; no need to compare them.

Regardless our fan needs and wishes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Magnificent!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Different shows, different mediums, totally different musical needs. For what LOST is, he wrote some brilliant music too; no need to compare them.

I don't think anyone is comparing them... it's just a want for Giacchino to go back to the style that we MOH fans fell in love with in the first place.

-Erik-
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't think anyone is comparing them... it's just a want for Giacchino to go back to the style that we MOH fans fell in love with in the first place.

-Erik-

what this man says punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Slowly, very s--l--o--w--l--y-- getting through CD's I was bought for Christmas...

NP : NOTES ON A SCANDAL - Philip Glass

First listen though I have heard clips before, enjoying it very much.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    You sure we're talking about the same album? This one

Yep , that's the one Gilles ... wink
    Not everything is good on this release but more then enough to make my own favourite compilation ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Well, as long as such projects and directors who want this music come along? I don't think the presence of the MOH Scores diminishes LOST in any way, a brilliant body of work in its own term but very different than MOH anyway smile
  11. KevinSmith wrote
    I've run into a streak of mediocre lately with these disappointing scores:
    -Agora (Dario Marianelli)
    -Children of Men (John Tavener)
    -Cherry 2000 (Basil Poledouris)
    -Airport (Alfred Newman)
    -The Ninth Gate (Wojciech Kilar)
    -The Boy Who Could Fly (Bruce Broughton)
    -Notes on a Scandal (Philip Glass)
    -I Want to be a Shellfish (Joe Hisaishi)
    -The Ghost and the Darkness (Jerry Goldsmith)

There's absolutely no need to use offensive language. Forum members who do will be banned.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  12. I don't think the presence of the MOH Scores diminishes LOST in any way, a brilliant body of work

Absolutely! beer
  13. Tron: Legacy

This is turning into an addiction!
  14. franz_conrad wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I've run into a streak of mediocre lately with these disappointing scores:
    -Agora (Dario Marianelli)
    -Children of Men (John Tavener)
    -Cherry 2000 (Basil Poledouris)
    -Airport (Alfred Newman)
    -The Ninth Gate (Wojciech Kilar)
    -The Boy Who Could Fly (Bruce Broughton)
    -Notes on a Scandal (Philip Glass)
    -I Want to be a Shellfish (Joe Hisaishi)
    -The Ghost and the Darkness (Jerry Goldsmith)

There's absolutely no need to use offensive language. Forum members who do will be banned.

If we followed that logic in the past, this board should be pretty empty by now. cheesy