• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010
    Want. Although to be fair, there's no way I was paying £45 for it the other day at the RAH.
  1. I received a shipping notice for this yesterday. Hopefully it will arrive today - but more than likely it will be Monday/Tuesday.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Rarities Archive - Howard Shore

There's some amazing material on here - Sammath Naur is spectacular and makes much more musical sense than the final film version of the Ring's destruction.

What's it like as a full listening experience? Is it all bits and pieces with changing sound quality, or do the tracks all add up to a well-flowing new Lord of the Rings CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Jim Ware wrote

What on middle earth is this? I thought we had everything in the complete versions?

Peter confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    plindboe wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

What on middle earth is this? I thought we had everything in the complete versions?

It's packaged with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I received a shipping notice for this yesterday. Hopefully it will arrive today - but more than likely it will be Monday/Tuesday.

I knew that Royal Mail would come through when it mattered!

The book arrived this morning...

I wasn't sure if anyone had posted elsewhere what was actually on the "Rarities Archive" CD:

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

01 Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All (Alternate)
    02 The Shire / The Hobbits (Mock-up)
    03 Out From Bree (Theatrical Version & Alternate)
    04 Flight to the Ford (Alternate)
    05 Moria (Mock-up)
    06 The Fighting Uruk-hai (Alternate)
    07 The Argonath (Alternate)

THE TWO TOWERS

08 Gwenwin in în (“Arwen’s Song” Alternate/Mock-up)
    09 Arwen’s Song (Complete)
    10 Emyn Muil (Alternate)
    11 The Rohan Fanfare (Mock-up)
    12 The Eaves of Fangorn (Alternate)
    13 The Ent Theme (Mock-up)

THE RETURN OF THE KING

14 The Return of the King Trailer
    15 The Gondor Theme (Mock-up)
    16 The Muster of Rohan (Alternate)
    17 The Siege of Gondor (Alternate)
    18 Shieldmaiden of Rohan (Theatrical Version)
    19 Sammath Naur (Alternate)
    20 Frodo’s Song (“Into the West” Alternate/Mock-up)
    21 Elanor (Alternate)

HOWARD SHORE & DOUG ADAMS

22 In Conversation (Part 1)
    23 In Conversation (Part 2)

Source: http://www.musicoflotr.com/p/music-of-l … s-faq.html
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, but what are the track times? What's the sound quality like? How does it flow? Is it a perfect "summary" disc of all three scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Track times inserted.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I wasn't sure if anyone had posted elsewhere what was actually on the "Rarities Archive" CD:

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

01 Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All (Alternate) 5:53
    02 The Shire / The Hobbits (Mock-up) 2:00
    03 Out From Bree (Theatrical Version & Alternate) 4:04
    04 Flight to the Ford (Alternate) 4:04
    05 Moria (Mock-up) 1:45
    06 The Fighting Uruk-hai (Alternate) 1:47
    07 The Argonath (Alternate) 2:18

THE TWO TOWERS

08 Gwenwin in în (“Arwen’s Song” Alternate/Mock-up) 2:02
    09 Arwen’s Song (Complete) 2:11
    10 Emyn Muil (Alternate) 3:24
    11 The Rohan Fanfare (Mock-up) 3:09
    12 The Eaves of Fangorn (Alternate) 5:29
    13 The Ent Theme (Mock-up) 2:01

THE RETURN OF THE KING

14 The Return of the King Trailer 2:35
    15 The Gondor Theme (Mock-up) 2:19
    16 The Muster of Rohan (Alternate) 6:44
    17 The Siege of Gondor (Alternate) 3:13
    18 Shieldmaiden of Rohan (Theatrical Version) 2:01
    19 Sammath Naur (Alternate) 8:53
    20 Frodo’s Song (“Into the West” Alternate/Mock-up) 2:23
    21 Elanor (Alternate) 1:30

HOWARD SHORE & DOUG ADAMS

22 In Conversation (Part 1) 5:06
    23 In Conversation (Part 2) 4:28

Source: http://www.musicoflotr.com/p/music-of-l … s-faq.html

Sound quality for the orchestral tracks is the same as the OST releases. The demos and mock-ups are synthesized.

It's not a 'summary' disc - these are mock-ups, alternates and unused pieces that do not (for the most part) appear in the films - but it does work well as a standalone listening experience.
  2. Thanks for the extra information, Jim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010 edited
    Eric wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, how is it?

Not really my cup of tea . There's a few decent tracks on it but it gets kinda boring after a while .
    Something I don't have with Giacchino's MoH work , that simply rocks !

MEDAL OF HONOR - Ramin Djawadi

Apart the usual guitar / drums driven pieces a la RC (Which are better this time 'cause they're Bear McCreary influenced), there's some strong thematic dramatic material, like "heroes abroad" "falling away" (a very nice elegiac song btw), "high ground" and "the summit" for instance; it's not completely passable, it'd make some good 4-5 entries in a compilation album. The obviously the thin red line influenced pieces like "last extraction" and "heroes abroad" for instance, are surprisingly organic (lots of acoustic instruments in nice motifs) and at parts beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. It may just be the best of all RC BHD rip-offs, right? Heard clips only.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, it's organic and surprisingly good at places; completely unoriginal but it's a cross between ttrl and blackhawk down and it works. For a Djawadi score especially, it's good that it's not the usual crap.
  4. BobdH wrote
    Yeah, but what are the track times? What's the sound quality like? How does it flow? Is it a perfect "summary" disc of all three scores?

Sound quality is excellent, though some of the mock-ups do sound more synthy that others: the Shire/Hobbit mock-up starts off "badly" for me in the sense that it's very synthy sounding. But with a lot of the later mock-ups the synth strings are quite listenable!

Some of the alternates are very good indeed.
  5. Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor

This score is *actually* pretty good, at least if you expected total crap (not that Djawadi ever delivered anything else). As Demetris said, it's pretty organic. Of all the Black Hawk Down rip-offs in the Remote Control department (so it rules out, say, similar elements of Passion of the Christ), this one seems to be the best of the lot.

Of course, quality-wise it's not as good as what Giacchino delivered (still have to listen to Lennertz's work), but also keep in mind that the score AND game is a different beast. It's a modern reboot of the series, featuring special ops MODERN warfare teams. I don't blame picking this particular sound. All that happened with the style later makes us forget that the coolest stuff was written for a specific genre. The Rock, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow - all seminal scores of the genre (Bad Boys is a different beast, but it's one of the defining works of this particular musical style, when I talk about different beast, I mean the movie being an action comedy about two cops) featured special operations/modern tactics in some way (Crimson Tide of course was on a submarine, but also the use of internal forces on it is what I am talking about). By writing scores like this one or the rather bad Modern Warfare 2, Remote Control *does* return to its Media Ventures sound roots. I am *not* blaming not getting a more orchestral score here and it's actually quite organic for the standards.

Also a thing that actually quite differs Djawadi's work from other works in the genre. It's by no means over the top. Actually, and this is an interesting aspect of it, Medal of Honor is an excercise in emotional restraint. Djawadi didn't go for a fully blown anthem in a track called Heroes Aboard (the title may suggest that), but rather wrote a string elegy. I like that.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    , it's good that it's not the usual crap.

So, different crap?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    BobdH wrote

Sound quality is excellent, though some of the mock-ups do sound more synthy that others: the Shire/Hobbit mock-up starts off "badly" for me in the sense that it's very synthy sounding. But with a lot of the later mock-ups the synth strings are quite listenable!

Some of the alternates are very good indeed.

From the looks of things, the alternate 'Breaking of the Fellowship' isn't on there. A shame if so?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED - John Barry

Lovely, short and bittersweet score, I've no idea if there's a lot of score in the film, it's been decades since I saw it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    From the looks of things, the alternate 'Breaking of the Fellowship' isn't on there. A shame if so?

Maybe that's for a "Complete Rarities Archive" further on down the line? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Maybe that's for a "Complete Rarities Archive" further on down the line? wink

It's already out there on the FOTR EE DVD (as is the alternate appearance of Gandalf the White from TTT) - there was a conscious effort to avoid duplication, except to add some context to a few of the alternate cues.
  9. I've not had a chance to really sit down and really digest the CD yet but I am already hearing that there has been a great effort to avoid too much duplication.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED - John Barry

Lovely, short and bittersweet score, I've no idea if there's a lot of score in the film, it's been decades since I saw it.

I saw it a couple of years ago. Not that much score in the film, but a bit more which would be nice to have on CD - the (very lovely) score needs a decent remastering job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Frank and Jesse - Mark McKenzie

Wonderful western score with a fantastic main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So, different crap?

biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So, different crap?

biggrin No, it's quite good actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor

This score is *actually* pretty good, at least if you expected total crap (not that Djawadi ever delivered anything else). As Demetris said, it's pretty organic. Of all the Black Hawk Down rip-offs in the Remote Control department (so it rules out, say, similar elements of Passion of the Christ), this one seems to be the best of the lot.

Of course, quality-wise it's not as good as what Giacchino delivered (still have to listen to Lennertz's work), but also keep in mind that the score AND game is a different beast. It's a modern reboot of the series, featuring special ops MODERN warfare teams. I don't blame picking this particular sound. All that happened with the style later makes us forget that the coolest stuff was written for a specific genre. The Rock, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow - all seminal scores of the genre (Bad Boys is a different beast, but it's one of the defining works of this particular musical style, when I talk about different beast, I mean the movie being an action comedy about two cops) featured special operations/modern tactics in some way (Crimson Tide of course was on a submarine, but also the use of internal forces on it is what I am talking about). By writing scores like this one or the rather bad Modern Warfare 2, Remote Control *does* return to its Media Ventures sound roots. I am *not* blaming not getting a more orchestral score here and it's actually quite organic for the standards.

Also a thing that actually quite differs Djawadi's work from other works in the genre. It's by no means over the top. Actually, and this is an interesting aspect of it, Medal of Honor is an excercise in emotional restraint. Djawadi didn't go for a fully blown anthem in a track called Heroes Aboard (the title may suggest that), but rather wrote a string elegy. I like that.

Glad you liked it. It's so much better than Zimmer's noisy fest for Modern Warfare 2 and it's god a lot of melody in it.
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So, different crap?

biggrin No, it's quite good actually.

In a Two Girls One Cup sort of way?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor

Glad you liked it. It's so much better than Zimmer's noisy fest for Modern Warfare 2 and it's god a lot of melody in it.

Modern Warfare had a lot of wrong going on in the process, as Zimmer himself once admitted to a fan - he was far from happy with the score, because he didn't give it enough attention (due to Sherlock being written at the time).

The only track that I don't like is the rather awful song Enemy Down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So, it's not terrible? shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, not at all.

Pawel i am sorry but Modern Warfare 2 is compeltely unlistenably, messy noisy and well, draft. And he didn't pay much attention to sherlock holmes either truth to be told wink Very rushed works. In Modern Warfare 2 he did what Djawadi is usually doing.
  12. I am not saying that Modern Warfare 2 is any good, just quoting the composer's opinion on it.

Hans worked 7 months on Sherlock, sorry wink. I actually like Sherlock. Not perfect, some cues do have awkward moments, but I do like Sherlock.