• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Cutthroat island gives me a headache too. Mighty fine score though; I just can't listen to more than 2 tracks in a row.

Peter smile

beer beer beer beer

Now talking seriously, It is an amazing score. In scope ,orchestrations, themes....bla bla bla. But It's too much action, too big all the time.

I think Lair is a faaaaaaaar better listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I LUV Cutthroat Island ! A brilliant score !

NP : Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

Isham's best in my book , but hey that's just my opinion ! wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Now talking seriously, It is an amazing score. In scope ,orchestrations, themes....bla bla bla. But It's too much action, too big all the time.

As score that has far more action than CutThroat... dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

As score that has far more action than CutThroat... dizzy

-Erik-

That's not true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes it is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    You know... those that say that CutThroat is all bombast really hasn't pay attention to the score especially the 2CD release which really opens up the score, allows it to breathe and provides some quieter more reflective cues not available of the first release. The original release, while excellent, was indeed action heavy and I can see how some might have difficulty getting through it all especially if they don't want to hear one superb action cue after another. So, I highly recommend checking out the Promethus 2CD set which, IMHO, plays significantly better than the single disc version. From start to finish Cutthroat is a well constructed score and is one of the all time best!

-Erik-

Ah, interesting. I might look into that.

I'm not sure why it has such an effect on me. There are plenty of other action scores I can listen through without problems. "Pirates of the Caribbean"? No problem. "The mummy returns"? Sure thing. "Cutthroat island". Hand me the aspirins.

I'm sure the 2CD release with more quiet stuff could help me digest it.

Peter smile
  1. Angels In America - Thomas Newman

His magnum opus. Where is Mr. Newman nowadays?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Where is Mr. Newman nowadays?

Los Angeles, California.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Cutthroat island gives me a headache too. Mighty fine score though; I just can't listen to more than 2 tracks in a row.

Peter smile

beer beer beer beer

Yet Lair is even noisier!
  2. I meant what films is he working on? I only know of The Debt later this year and The Adjustment Bureau next year.
  3. On that note, I'm onto WALL-E now, the score that should have won him the Academy Award... >_>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ZACARIAS M.DE LA RIVE - Hierro

Saw the movie last night. Score is purely orchestral and complex, but also emotional and sentimental at places and so is the movie. Choir work is thrilling but limited in amount, main theme is minimalistic echoing Philip Glass; melodic and elevates the scenes were it appears. Impressive work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Saw the movie last night. Score is purely orchestral and complex, but also emotional and sentimental at places and so is the movie. Choir work is thrilling but limited in amount, main theme is minimalistic echoing Philip Glass; melodic and elevates the scenes were it appears. Impressive work.

I agree. I bought it blindly at the last Úbeda festival and loved it. The movie...well, it's ok.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited
    NP: Ivanhoe - Miklos Rozsa

Thrilling! Intrada's re-recording featuring Bruce Broughton and the London Sinfonia is one of the all time best! More of my thoughts HERE!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree. I bought it blindly at the last Úbeda festival and loved it. The movie...well, it's ok.

Did you spot the Mozart's Requiem rip too? It was fun smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You know... those that say that CutThroat is all bombast really hasn't pay attention to the score especially the 2CD release which really opens up the score, allows it to breathe and provides some quieter more reflective cues not available of the first release. The original release, while excellent, was indeed action heavy and I can see how some might have difficulty getting through it all especially if they don't want to hear one superb action cue after another. So, I highly recommend checking out the Promethus 2CD set which, IMHO, plays significantly better than the single disc version. From start to finish Cutthroat is a well constructed score and is one of the all time best!

-Erik-

Ah, interesting. I might look into that.

I'm not sure why it has such an effect on me. There are plenty of other action scores I can listen through without problems. "Pirates of the Caribbean"? No problem. "The mummy returns"? Sure thing. "Cutthroat island". Hand me the aspirins.

I'm sure the 2CD release with more quiet stuff could help me digest it.

Peter smile

I have a similar problem actually. Silvestri's VAN HELSING has similar problems for me. I think if there was a single disc album that had a few more quiet passages, I'd probably enjoy it a great deal.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    Fair Game - John Powell

Pretty boring, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Avatar The Last Airbender (Game Score) - Mick Gordon

The strings are a bit too synthy for this day and age, but the music itself is rather awesome.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've got four scores lined up this morning thanks to album shuffle in iTunes.

I'm currently playing Jerry Goldsmith's excellent The Ghost and the Darkness I'm a big fan of the film as well. I will then move onto one of Goldsmith's many masterpieces; The Final Conflict I'll then spin William Ross' exciting score from the IMAX film T-Rex: Back To The Cretaceuos Lastly, I'll tone things down with one of Mark McKenzie's finest scores The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited
    I just want to cry when I hear such jaw-dropping cues like "The Second Coming" from Goldsmith's THE FINAL CONFLICT. This kind of beautiful, epic, emotionally perfect music is so rare if film these days... but when you look back just 30 short years ago it was the norm. So sad. And then of course there is "The Hunt." Oh so good!

-Erik-
  5. Still in the Jones box. On the score "Brothers".

Finally, after alost twenty years of first hearing it, I was able to listen to that cue from "Who Watches the Watchers" where riker saves Palmer. TNG fans know what I am talking about.
    On my sheet marking down the best cues from each episode, I have seven of the thirteen tracks from that episode, marked down.

Like "Q Who?", "The High Ground" was another score I had noted being good, but both turned out to be disappointments as a whole, but "The High Ground" had a beautiful ending cue!

So far only one episode has had ZERO cues marked down: "The Royal"

Meanwhile, back in the film scoring arena... (duh duhduh, Duh Duh DAH DAAAHHH)
    Went threw the complete score to "The Saint" (Grame Revell) for the best parts, then I edited out those parts, and eventually might make some suites.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Fair Game - John Powell

Pretty boring, really.

Clemmensen has MegaMind, Southall FAir Game....What is happening???!!! I don't have any of them!

About Fair Game being boring...it was predictable. a lot of electronic loops, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I have them both as well... and they aren't very good.

-Erik-

PS - Jordi - what we have are advance digital promos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Digital Promos? then more chances to be leaked! :P

Clemmensen rates Megamind with 4 stars....But I think it has to be the typcal uninspired "Zimmer" score with an small essamble and "european" sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Digital Promos? then more chances to be leaked! :P

Only a fucktard would leak a digital promo. Seriously! Jack offs like that should be hanged, drawn and quartered. That's what happened with Iron Man 2 and that selfish douche-bag who leaked the digital promo almost ruined it for the rest of us. And it looks like some prick leaked the 2CD Human Target album as well.

Sorry for the tone but I don't even like it when people kid about leaking digital promos.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    that selfish douche-bag who leaked the digital promo
    -Erik-

Of course such sharing is ill-advised, but please explain to me how the act of sharing makes one a "selfish douche-bag"?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Whether or not it's selfish, it is certainly seriously bad behaviour.
  6. NP: The Special Relationship (Desplat)

The more typical Desplatian stuff is a little familiar (ie. the track that opens the album, and 'Hilary C'), but there are a couple of new touches. The almost sentimental Americana for the friendship of Clinton and Blair is some of his nicest stuff, and the Morricone-like ostinato for bass and strings (for 'Northern Island') is pretty unusual writing for a film like this too. The two final tracks probably standout for me if you just want to buy a couple of tracks on iTunes.

Next up: Lost: The Final Episodes
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Next up: Lost: The Final Episodes

I received it on monday but there was nobody home. I won't be able to go to the post office to get it until saturday morning! crazy crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    NP:Megamind (Zimmer-Balfe)

If Zimmer is where he is it's because he knows how to compose a catchy tune. Even in Madagascar has it.
    Sadly I can't say the same about Megamind.

Zimmer and Balfe are so worried to make a lighty orchestral score (wich is out of his zone) that they forget the themes and his coherency.

the sound it's fresh, it reminds me The Holliday but it lacks of structure.