• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Next up: Lost: The Final Episodes

I received it on monday but there was nobody home. I won't be able to go to the post office to get it until saturday morning! crazy crazy

And??? More of the same. I didn't listen Season 4 and 5 yet. And Season 6 only the theme where appears the temple motif.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Season 6 and the final episodes cd's are full of all the passionate storm of themes in the last 3-4 episodes of season 6, very powerful material and definitely NOT 'more of the same'.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. L'Ennemi Intime - Desplat

Another underrated gem...I think I prefer this type of music from Desplat to all of his famous, waltz-heavy works.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Mean Season - Lalo Schifrin

This is a wonderful throwback to a great era with plenty of jagged, layered, complex suspense music. A couple of source cues I could do without but that's par for the course with Lalo.

Also completed the 2 CD of Maurice Jarre's Beyond Thunderdome earlier. This is pretty sensational actually. Long time since I heard a Jarre score I could say that about. Ok, there was that Lawrence of Arabia thing. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    L'Ennemi Intime - Desplat

Another underrated gem...I think I prefer this type of music from Desplat to all of his famous, waltz-heavy works.

Absolutely love it; have you checked 'AFTERWARDS' too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    David OC wrote
    The Mean Season - Lalo Schifrin

This is a wonderful throwback to a great era with plenty of jagged, layered, complex suspense music. A couple of source cues I could do without but that's par for the course with Lalo.

Also completed the 2 CD of Maurice Jarre's Beyond Thunderdome earlier. This is pretty sensational actually. Long time since I heard a Jarre score I could say that about. Ok, there was that Lawrence of Arabia thing. wink

Beyond Thunderdome is a great work by Jarre. Glad you liked it.
    Oh, and that Lawrence of Arabia thing is a cute little score too! Love that main title ditty he came up with. wink
  2. Couldn't digital promos be tagged somehow so that they could be traced back to who the copy was sent to?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. That was the case of Iron Man 2, actually. I think they actually found the rip source.

In general there is a problem, because the studios/labels aren't very keen on sending reviews anymore. Those are prone to leak and do leak weeks before the premiere often. Another problem relates to iTunes releases, which is funny, because usually they get released before (a week or two) the official CD release. Quality is worse, but the music is there and many people turn it into mp3s.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Megamind (Zimmer-Balfe)

If Zimmer is where he is it's because he knows how to compose a catchy tune. Even in Madagascar has it.
    Sadly I can't say the same about Megamind.

Zimmer and Balfe are so worried to make a lighty orchestral score (wich is out of his zone) that they forget the themes and his coherency.

the sound it's fresh, it reminds me The Holliday but it lacks of structure.

Said.

"Roxanne" reminds me "The Holiday" , vocals included. Lovely.

Anyway, the listening experience aside, I'm curious about how this sound could fit this movie. I can't see this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Today I'm be enjoying these four fine scores. First, An Everlasting Piece by Hans Zimmer. In my opinion, this is one of Zimmer's finest scores and is one of my all time favorites. Zimmer excels with these smaller, lower budget films and I hope he continues to do more. Next will be James Horner's Apollo 13 I haven't spun this in a while. According to iTunes it's been two years since I've given this a complete listen. Afterwards, I'll be spinning Alan Silvestri's masterpiece, Back To The Future. I hope to end the day with Patrick's Doyle's outstanding Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Today I'm be enjoying these four fine scores. First, An Everlasting Piece by Hans Zimmer. In my opinion, this is one of Zimmer's finest scores and is one of my all time favorites. [/b]

-Erik-

"Piece Offering" rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Let Me In - Michael Giacchino
    Soooo much better than I expected, I don't see it as a Lost rip-off in any way. The frequent ethereal choir work is awesome and something new from him. Nice theme too.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not rip off as in copying one cue from Lost in inserting it into Let Me In but the style - the light piano chords, airy light strings, etc is right out of Lost and in all honesty doesn't do anything for me any more. Any time I heard that in a non-Lost score I'm immediately turned off.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I love that style, as long as he keeps writing that way I'll buy every single album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Not that I wouldn't rather him write more WW2 video game scores.

Why isn't he scoring that film about the Nazi UFOs from the moon??? He'd be the perfect choice!
  4. NP: The Legend of Silkboy (Alain Mayrand)

first listen, and already pretty mickey mouse like from the beginning
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Legend of Silkboy (Alain Mayrand)

Yeah, I didn't like it much. The main theme is Tyler-level generic, while lacking the power of Tyler's recordings.
  5. Scribe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Yeah, I didn't like it much. The main theme is Tyler-level generic, while lacking the power of Tyler's recordings.

the main theme does remind me of something indeed, don't know what yet, and indeed for now it doesn't improve in mickey mousing
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. This was a title I avoided because of the mickey-mousing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Absolutely love it; have you checked 'AFTERWARDS' too?

I listened to it straight-through once...but I'll have to run it through again to really appreciate it. I think Desplat does "mournful elegy" very well, which is pretty much what L'Ennemi Intime was.
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote

For what it's worth, I didn't like that at all.

But I'm liking what I'm hearing in the Harry Potter clips.
  9. Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it? At the moment, it's among my top 3 favorite Desplat scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    L'Ennemi Intime is also a favourite for me. love

The feeling it creates, the atmosphere, the sadness of it all, ... I love it. The main theme is beautiful, as is its variation in Souvenirs is stunning.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

If Zimmer is where he is it's because he knows how to compose a catchy tune. Even in Madagascar has it.

Zimmer and Balfe are so worried to make a lighty orchestral score (wich is out of his zone) that they forget the themes and his coherency.

Sometimes it reminds me of something Powell could write while sleeping and doing a hundred things more at the same time. Totally forgettable (and forgotten).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Let Me In - Michael Giacchino
    Soooo much better than I expected, I don't see it as a Lost rip-off in any way. The frequent ethereal choir work is awesome and something new from him. Nice theme too.

Who said it's a LOST rip-off? If it was, it'd actually be good wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

the main theme does remind me of something indeed, don't know what yet, and indeed for now it doesn't improve in mickey mousing

I am not touching that ! Thanks for the warnings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Sometimes it reminds me of something Powell could write while sleeping and doing a hundred things more at the same time. Totally forgettable (and forgotten).

Powell never could compose such a uninspired score.

Anyway, I like the sound because it reminds me "the holiday", this mix of little bells (i don't know the name of the instruments), strings, acustic guitar....But How I said I'm really curious to see how it will fit the movie.
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it? At the moment, it's among my top 3 favorite Desplat scores.

I don't find L'Ennemi Intime particularly interesting. Yes, the title theme is a lovely theme and it is one that I do listen to, but I just can't find much in the other tracks that keeps my attention. I just lose interest and am itching to listen to something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    NP Lost - The Last Episodes (Michael Giacchino)

SUPERB stuff.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you