• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ok... Deathly Hollows in done... mercifully... time to get back to Rombi. Aaaaaaah, that's better! Hymne Des Fraternises... GORGEOUS!

-Erik-

What about Deathly? It has magic? it has themes? it is so complex than The Golden Compass?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited
    yonythemoony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ok... Deathly Hollows in done... mercifully... time to get back to Rombi. Aaaaaaah, that's better! Hymne Des Fraternises... GORGEOUS!

-Erik-

So... what about the use of piano and chorus in the score? And the Lovegood's theme.

Nothing resonated with me. You know, I can remember my initial listens of Williams first three scores and Doyle's effort and being totally entranced immediately. Desplat on the other hand is more about atmosphere, orchestral textures and rhythms and to be totally honest I can live happily never playing it again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One of the most gorgeous film scores of the last 10 years. Every piece in there is stunning, and the movie is beautiful and heartfelt too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah, Rombi RARELY disappoints. I'm always excited to hear more of his work!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Never really found the characters of Lucas and Spielberg to be particularly emotionally investable...they're just archetypes and collections of cliches...not even particularly likeable ones at that. Luke is whiny, Han is a selfish jerk, and I don't feel anything more for Leia than I would for a walking sign that read "Insert Damsel-In-Distress Here." And I don't say that because I hate Star Wars...the original trilogy are some of my favorite films, but it's the world and mythology and of course, Williams' genius score that I find attractive...not the characters.

It must be some kind of weird generational thing.

Although, if you're only watched the films and not read the books, I can see why Harry Potter wouldn't seem much different than other fantasy adventure stories. Chris Columbus didn't do a very good job of introducing the characters.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Never really found the characters of Lucas and Spielberg to be particularly emotionally investable...they're just archetypes and collections of cliches...not even particularly likeable ones at that.

Luke is whiny

For two seconds. He's a young, immature farm boy under his uncle rule. All he wanted to do was to go to Toshi Station and pick up some power converters. Over the course of the three films he matures into the Jedi he was destined to become.

Scribe wrote
    Han is a selfish jerk,

Indeed he is. He's a smuggler who only looks out for one person... himself.... but then there is a realization of friendship and he comes back and saves the day. His character had much more arc in the second film but didn't really come to realization in the third film as Lucas put the kibosh on Hans sacrifice on Endor.

Scribe wrote
    and I don't feel anything more for Leia than I would for a walking sign that read "Insert Damsel-In-Distress Here."

Which harks back to the Flash Gordon serial roots but Leia is a much stronger person then that and you know it.

Scribe wrote
    Although, if you're only watched the films and not read the books, I can see why Harry Potter wouldn't seem much different than other fantasy adventure stories. Chris Columbus didn't do a very good job of introducing the characters.

Well, that's the thing... we are talking about the films here as a separate entity. The books are the reference material. What you see on the screen is what you get.

-Erik-
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

So... what about the use of piano and chorus in the score? And the Lovegood's theme.

Nothing resonated with me. You know, I can remember my initial listens of Williams first three scores and Doyle's effort and being totally entranced immediately. Desplat on the other hand is more about atmosphere, orchestral textures and rhythms and to be totally honest I can live happily never playing it again.

-Erik-

Okay. I hope you change your mind when the movie gets released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik, all I can say is that I admire your ability to see the best in these characters and stories...I wish I could still look at them so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yonythemoony wrote
    Okay. I hope you change your mind when the movie gets released.

I hope so, too.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That RICKY score is marvelous too; ROmbi's an incredibly gifted artist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ricky, IMHO, looses it's weight after that first track. Marvelous theme but afterwards the score dies. Now Angel and Un homme et son chien... good lord those two scores are soooooo good!

-Erik-
  2. Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann

I love the Scene D'Amour...it's very romantic in a dark sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Which album are you listen to?

BTW, I just finished with Rombi's Joyeux Noël... and I'm in tears! Brilliant!

-Erik-
  3. At the moment, it's a compilation album of his scores performed by the L.A. Philharmonic. On that note...

Fahrenheit 451 - Herrmann

Fun and lyrical, so far...
  4. The Esa-Pekka Salonen album?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Yes, that one.

Still on Fahrenheit 451. I love the finale...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You are listening to one of the greatest re-recordings of all time! Bravo! If you really like Vertigo you should check out Varese's recording with Joel McNeely and The Royal Scottish National Orchestra! And Tribute Film Classics recorded Fahrenheit 451 beautifully.

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Ricky, IMHO, looses it's weight after that first track. Marvelous theme but afterwards the score dies. Now Angel and Un homme et son chien... good lord those two scores are soooooo good!

-Erik-

I share your humble opinion about RICKY. (And mostly with the other two too - although they do get a tad repetitive at times, at least they're repeating brilliance.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. Free Willy 3: The Rescue - Cliff Eidelman

Gorgeous and wonderful. Very short yet stripped down to the bare essentials. If only the scores of these days did get the same treatment.

These are my humble and returning baby-steps on this forum after a long absence... nothing to have you behemoths worried though. I simply don't have the all-knowing voice. smile

Looking forward to share my listening experiences with you guys once again. I never stopped listening in all those months, there are just so little new scores that get my attention.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. NP: Spartacus... The Love Theme... disc 1

I mostly bought the big box to hear these versions. Great stuff, and to their credit, these composers have found a way for this love theme to actually sustain a whole album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010
    NP: Alice in Wonderland - Danny Elfman

It sounds better now that I have a better quality scan of the album art to go with it.

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
  9. NP: Snape To Malfoy Manor - Deathly Hallows

AWESOME!!!!!! I love that new theme played in the strings, flutes and chorus.
  10. NP: Polyjuice Potion - Deathly Hallows

I love how quirky sounds. In the first minute, there's a new theme played in the strings and clarinet. I think it's a theme for the Order of the Phoenix. I love the rendition of Hedwig's theme in the end of the cue.
  11. NP: Sky Battle - Deathly Hallows

I was afraid that Desplat will write a childish flying cue. It wasn't. It's amazing. Very powerful, it's Doyle mixed with John Powell. I think that Desplat used Williams's Voldemort theme in min. 2:15.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Which album are you listen to?

BTW, I just finished with Rombi's Joyeux Noël... and I'm in tears! Brilliant!

-Erik-

Have you watched the movie too?
  12. Lost - The Last Episodes Giacchino

It finally arrived a few days ago and just like The final Season two-discer I just can't get enough of it, just wonderful stuff from beginning to end.
  13. Inception - Hans Zimmer

This is only my fourth Zimmer purchase this decade shocked shocked but what a kickass monster it is. Rich in textures and pounding crescendo's, it's very non-melodic on the whole, but I like it a lot despite this fact. Proof that Hans still is the master in this type of scoring.

Dream Is Collapsing, Old Souls, 528491, Mombasa, Waiting For a Train, Time. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  14. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Snape To Malfoy Manor - Deathly Hallows

AWESOME!!!!!! I love that new theme played in the strings, flutes and chorus.

Seeing you seem to have an copy of the advance digital copy, I'll look forward to reading your review on your review site?

Jonathan Broxton's review over at Movie Music UK is VERY positive.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  15. Top gun - Harold Faltermeyer + Songs

FANTASTIC !!!! The songs define the sound of the film and represent all that I love about the 80s. The score has some nice pieces as well, but they aren't put in the foreground like the songs are.