• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"[/i]
    ([b]Cliff Eidelman
    )

Three cues in on the expanded (not complete) boot; will get back to it later.

So far aside from he obvious classsical lift, I also hear compositional work lifting from "Mars Bringer of War". Kind of blasphemey for some people here, but ... had he not lifted from any classical music, could he have brought home the score as strongly as the end result now? I'm not too sure, but I've heard very, very, very little by him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. The director originally wanted to use Mars as the score, but he realized that licensing the music would be more expensive than getting a film composer to emulate it.

Also, Horner refused the project. So did Goldsmith (based on the disaster called The Final Frontier)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. lp wrote
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

Excellent score. Great use of a good motif, especially at the end, with the massive development of the motif into a sort of grand thematic resolution. As an audience member, having it all built up to that moment, and hearing the music being that final touch, that really made the movie for me.

Agreed on all counts! I love that the 'grand thematic resolution' in the last couple tracks is still using notes in groups of three. It's really ingenious scoring. I LOVE those Hand of Fate tracks. Some of JNH's very best stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    had he not lifted from any classical music, could he have brought home the score as strongly as the end result now? I'm not too sure, but I've heard very, very, very little by him.

Have your heard Magdalene, Triumph of the Spirit, Christopher Columbus: The Discovery? Eidelman is more than capable of bringing a "a score home!" And there are only a handful of instances where Eidelman utilizes Holst's The Planets. Even so he makes it his own! Star Trek 6 is a super score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROCKY - Bill Conti

Makes me want to do one arm press ups, punch sides of beef and run up a big flight of steps....brilliant! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    had he not lifted from any classical music, could he have brought home the score as strongly as the end result now? I'm not too sure, but I've heard very, very, very little by him.

Have your heard Magdalene, Triumph of the Spirit, Christopher Columbus: The Discovery? Eidelman is more than capable of bringing a "a score home!" And there are only a handful of instances where Eidelman utilizes Holst's The Planets. Even so he makes it his own! Star Trek 6 is a super score!

-Erik-

Oh, definitely. I am with Erik on this one, Eidelman is one of the best composers around, very unique voice. Shame we don't get much.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

I decided to go with the Tadlow release of this score to give it a good listen. The theme is excellent and it's nice to hear the variations throughout the score. But, the complete score is a bit of a chore to get through.

Solar Crisis is the only track on disc 2 to grab my attention.

The production on this release should be applauded.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Philadelphia Experiment - Kenneth Wannberg

An old favourite of mine composed by a frequent collaborator of John Williams ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Lost Season 2, Michael Giacchino
    And now I've just heard that "Amistad" theme in "Just Another Day on the Beach". The mesh of themes is actually forming up! After all this time!

What theme are you talking about when you say the Amistad theme? I can only assume the main theme which is all that's in JADotB.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    The director originally wanted to use Mars as the score, but he realized that licensing the music would be more expensive than getting a film composer to emulate it.

Also, Horner refused the project. So did Goldsmith (based on the disaster called The Final Frontier)

Interesting, I had never heard Horner was offerd that one.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … e/#Item_13
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Same director as Wrath of Khan, mind you. From what I've read the idea went like this:

Holst? Too expensive
    Horner? Refused
    Goldsmith? Refused

Eidelman sent in a demo and the director went "Wow!" over it, so Eidelman got hired to do his first huge project. Nicholas Meyer started yet another film music career by that.

A huge factor was the fact that a while earlier there was a Star Trek compilation conducted by Eidelman. I don't remember if it influenced the director's or the producers' decision. Didn't Rick Berman take over the franchise anyway by then? I don't even remember if Rodenberry was still alive by then, sadly.
  7. As I recall, Gene died almost before complettion of the film.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

Now this, this is how a choral score is done! One of the great classics of film music and a huge favourite among fans of the genre and to think it was written for such a mediochre and weak third part of a trilogy.

"Mediocre"? You're too kind, Timmer. biggrin The score, however, is an absolute classic!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    lp wrote
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

Excellent score. Great use of a good motif, especially at the end, with the massive development of the motif into a sort of grand thematic resolution. As an audience member, having it all built up to that moment, and hearing the music being that final touch, that really made the movie for me.

"The Hand of Fate - Part I" is probably one of my favourite cues from the 2000's! Absolutely excellent stuff - particularly the brass!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

Now this, this is how a choral score is done! One of the great classics of film music and a huge favourite among fans of the genre and to think it was written for such a mediochre and weak third part of a trilogy.

"Mediocre"? You're too kind, Timmer. biggrin The score, however, is an absolute classic!

wink Well, the cinematography is great and Sam Neil is absolutely brilliant as Damien Thorn, in fact all the cast do a great job, it's just that it's such a weak film made epic by a phenomanal score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Same director as Wrath of Khan, mind you. From what I've read the idea went like this:

Holst? Too expensive
    Horner? Refused
    Goldsmith? Refused

Eidelman sent in a demo and the director went "Wow!" over it, so Eidelman got hired to do his first huge project. Nicholas Meyer started yet another film music career by that.

A huge factor was the fact that a while earlier there was a Star Trek compilation conducted by Eidelman. I don't remember if it influenced the director's or the producers' decision. Didn't Rick Berman take over the franchise anyway by then? I don't even remember if Rodenberry was still alive by then, sadly.

I don't believe Eidelman conducted any Star Trek compilation ( mores the pity ), he produced a compilation album of the original tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I don't believe Eidelman conducted any Star Trek compilation ( mores the pity ), he produced a compilation album of the original tracks.

There's an album called The Ultimate Star Trek (Varese) and Eidelman conducts the Seattle Symphony in performances of Star Trek 2, Star Trek 4, Star Trek 5, Star Trek 6, and Deep Space Nine.

-Erik
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. But that would be after An Undiscovered Country, wasn't there something before?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But that would be after An Undiscovered Country, wasn't there something before?

The one before is the one I was talking about, I think it was called 'Astral Symphony' or something like that and as I said, only contained selections from the original scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

There's an album called The Ultimate Star Trek (Varese) and Eidelman conducts the Seattle Symphony in performances of Star Trek 2, Star Trek 4, Star Trek 5, Star Trek 6, and Deep Space Nine.

-Erik

Well, that one somehow went under my radar.

Is it any good Erik?
  9. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But that would be after An Undiscovered Country, wasn't there something before?

The one before is the one I was talking about, I think it was called 'Astral Symphony' or something like that and as I said, only contained selections from the original scores.

AS contained cues from from ST:TMP up to ST5:TFF, as I recall. It used a different masters source for ST2:TWoK and as a result the cues from that score sounded noticably better than the GNP Crescendo Records ST2 CD. Same cues (and no unreleased ones) -- not a re-recording, so if you have it, it's trash now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

A darn fine score with a fantastic theme, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

Yup, I agreed. Great theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    NP : Rambo First Blood Pt. 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

Giving the ultimate actioner another spin ! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ISLANDS IN THE STREAM - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RAMBO FIRST BLOOD PART II - Jerry Goldsmith

Good call Eric beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thank you dear sir ... wink
  10. NP: True Blood - Season 2 - Nathan Barr

Follows on nicely from Barr's atmospheric score from the first season. Darkly romantic. I really enjoy the small ensemble Barr uses on this score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010
    Timmer wrote

Woop!

NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010
    THE TOWN - Harry gregson williams and David Buckley

I hear no Buckley in here, just standard typical Harry Gregson Williams-isms for Tony Scott-kind of scoring with a touch of a bit more sentimentalism, like in his "Gone Baby Gone" score. Those familiar will like it, for the rest is instantly forgettable.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.