• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Maestro

YEAAHHHHHH BABY !!!!!!! punk punk punk

Can scores get more adventurous than this?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
    No they can't!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. What? You know it???? shocked

Wonders will never cease... beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

I will say this - that 'Final Episodes' double album is easily the best release from that series so far. The orchestrations feel richer, the highlights more frequent, the music somehow more cinematic (like 'Across the Sea') overall.

Yeap, that's capturing the essence of the release alright. Couldn't agree more beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010 edited
    Marselus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I will say this - that 'Final Episodes' double album is easily the best release from that series so far. The orchestrations feel richer, the highlights more frequent, the music somehow more cinematic (like 'Across the Sea') overall.

I agree. 'Parallelocam' is another of the highlights. I LOVE the Oceanic Six theme. One of the most beautiful themes (if not the most beautiful) Giacchino has ever composed.

You know Parallelocam isn't the O6 theme, right? wink

But I completely agree, and imo, the O6 is theme (Landing Party especially) is the down right best LOST has to offer. cool

franz_conrad wrote
    NP: "Across the Sea" from LOST (Giacchino)

Finally. Finally. Finally. A truly impressive piece of scoring that reaches out and grabs me on album. It's not the first time with LOST, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as the hype led me to believe it would. But this episode's score and its main theme... nicely done.

I felt slightly disappointed with Across The Sea on CD, but think it works absolute wonders in the episode. I think Ab Aeterno is the best presented and structured episode score on the soundtrack.

The top cue from season six has to go to Get Out Of Jail Free Card and Desmond's sideways theme.
  3. (It was more the episode score in general than a particular cue called 'Across the Sea' - I just remember that section of the album being particularly good as it played.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    WP: Megamind - Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe

It's kinda generic but still a quite fun score with some fun fast-paced action cues. The love theme is quite pleasant too. Wish it ran longer than a mere 30 min though.

I don't. That's plenty long enough. There's nowhere near enough going on to justify any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm shuffling through four more scores today including Gabriel Yared's heart breaking score to City of Angels. I'll then be listen to for the very first time Bruce Smeaton's score to Iceman. I'll then move onto MovieScore Media's very first release, the excellent jazz score Unknown Solider by Peter Calandra. I will then end the day with a score I could play on endless repeat, Rachel Portman's masterpiece,The Cider House Rules!

-Erik-

I only heard Iceman once - someone played it to me - and I thought it was stunning. Wish I had the album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Matinee - Jerry Goldsmith

I don't know why, but I can't stop listening to this. I'm going through the most incredibly difficult period of my life and perhaps it's the warm nostalgia, from the wonderful homage to 50s monster movie music and "Theme From a Summer Place" through to the delightful main theme - but this one is hitting the mark perfectly for me at the moment. My fifth listen in as many days.
  4. Southall wrote
    Matinee - Jerry Goldsmith

I don't know why, but I can't stop listening to this. I'm going through the most incredibly difficult period of my life ....

Not to make too much of a point of what you meant to be an offhand remark, but I'm very sorry to hear that. sad
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm sorry to read such things James. This has already been a hard year. All the best
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    NP:Hellboy Complete (Beltrami)

MASTERPIECE, BIG MASTERPIECE!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Hellboy Complete (Beltrami)

MASTERPIECE, BIG MASTERPIECE!

Big statement. It is one of Beltrami's most enjoyable scores for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Lonesome Dove

It's a good score, like a mix of Farewell to the King and Quigley Down Under and other stylistic touches of Poledouris from the same era.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    WP: Megamind - Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe

It's kinda generic but still a quite fun score with some fun fast-paced action cues. The love theme is quite pleasant too. Wish it ran longer than a mere 30 min though.

I don't. That's plenty long enough. There's nowhere near enough going on to justify any more.

Thankfully i passed smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Anno 1404 (Gamerip) - Tilman Sillescu
    Somehow it sustains interest through 3 and a half hours. It's rather like the Yuri Potyenko pirate scores (not surprisingly) but a bit more varied (thankfully, given the run time) in instruments and sound colors. There's also a shorter (half-hour?) version available on iTunes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just played: The last emperor (Sakamoto & Byrne)

Some nice material by Sakamoto, but gets a bit dull in the middle. Byrne's main title theme is great, but the rest of his material is a complete waste of time.

Rating: ***½

Now playing: Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (Sakamoto)

I adore the main theme. Even though it's repetitive and simplistic, I can never get enough of it. There is an ok secondary theme that pops up shortly a couple of times, but the rest of the album is a pile of outdated crap.

Rating: **

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    I only heard Iceman once - someone played it to me - and I thought it was stunning. Wish I had the album!

Indeed, it's incredible and sounds so unique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8xx1RLGps

I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time, and I hope that the Iceman suite will make you forget about your problems for a little while. This is music that's best heard with your eyes closed. Very dreamy.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Harry Potter Deathly... (Desplat)

I'm trying man...i'm trying hard.

Desplat seems to be composing for a Shakespeare adaptation on this one. Come on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - une chance sur deux

Intriguing, quirky, charming. Maybe some of the people who accuse Desplat of recycling ideas should give this a try smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just listened to Sakamoto's Love is the devil

This is the worst score in my collection. It doesn't have a single melodic, enjoyable or even listenable moment.

Rating: *

Peter moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, he's output is either gorgeous (or brilliant - the last emperor, little buddah, the sheltering sky, femme fatale, snake eyes) or fart.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Just listened to Sakamoto's Love is the devil

This is the worst score in my collection. It doesn't have a single melodic, enjoyable or even listenable moment.

Rating: *

Peter moon

I've not heard it? Your rating doesn't bode well.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Conan The Barbarian video: http://www.pragueorchestras.com/conan.htm

Ordered in a heartbeat
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, he's output is either gorgeous (or brilliant - the last emperor, little buddah, the sheltering sky, femme fatale, snake eyes) or fart.

Or fart. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Conan The Barbarian video: http://www.pragueorchestras.com/conan.htm

Ordered in a heartbeat

Wow, sounds like a surprisingly good performance!!! This is a must-get!

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Ordered in a heartbeat

shocked shocked shocked WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! shocked shocked shocked

knight cry punk spin punk punk punk punk spin punk cry knight

flash BEST RELEASE IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE!!! flash
  7. The Prague orchestra has come on leaps and bounds from a few years ago. Gave me goosebumps watching it. I assume this what we see on this video is what we'll hear as the final bonus track on CD2: "Riders of Doom – Orchestral Version".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Ordered in a heartbeat

shocked shocked shocked WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! shocked shocked shocked

knight cry punk spin punk punk punk punk spin punk cry knight

flash BEST RELEASE IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE!!! flash

Yes!!! I've always considered it such an incredible shame that the old one couldn't be expanded, so to have a new 2CD recording that sounds almost identical to the original recording is a dream come true. I'd never heard about this project before.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, they were pretty mediocre back when they released that crappy 'film music of hans zimmer' 2cd thingy but THIS IS SPECTACULAR! punk