• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    Peter, you've not read the speculation over on the FSM board since the announcement of the announcement!?!

And looking at the details it doesn't seem to be a limited edition. May have cost a small fortune to finance?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Conan The Barbarian video: http://www.pragueorchestras.com/conan.htm

Ordered in a heartbeat

shocked shocked shocked WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! shocked shocked shocked

knight cry punk spin punk punk punk punk spin punk cry knight

flash BEST RELEASE IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE!!! flash

CROM'S GONADS BUT LIFE IS GREAT! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, they were pretty mediocre back when they released that crappy 'film music of hans zimmer' 2cd thingy but THIS IS SPECTACULAR! punk

Hans wanted to block that release, but it was too late.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, they were pretty mediocre back when they released that crappy 'film music of hans zimmer' 2cd thingy but THIS IS SPECTACULAR! punk

Hans wanted to block that release, but it was too late.

Hans Schmanz rolleyes CONAN THE BARBARIAN, BY CROM! CONAN THE BARBARIAN!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010 edited
    I thought for a second you meant Hans wanted to block the Conan release!! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought for a second you meant Hans wanted to block the Conan release!! shame

Me too! biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Woah, someone's found his old self again today! Including childhood happiness, carelessness and all wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What's up?

Zimmer does a Conan remake?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Woah, someone's found his old self again today! Including childhood happiness, carelessness and all wink

biggrin
  2. Nautilus wrote
    NP:Harry Potter Deathly... (Desplat)

I'm trying man...i'm trying hard.

Desplat seems to be composing for a Shakespeare adaptation on this one. Come on!

That is the strangest slur (is it even a slur?) in the history of this message board. (Not counting posts by Sunil.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Harry Potter Deathly... (Desplat)

I'm trying man...i'm trying hard.

Desplat seems to be composing for a Shakespeare adaptation on this one. Come on!

That is the strangest slur (is it even a slur?) in the history of this message board. (Not counting posts by Sunil.)

And that is the most hilarious commentary I have read all day! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARK KILAN - Traitor

Pretty, pretty good actually! Middle eastern flavored but calm, restrained, ambient and at parts melodic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    MARK KILAN - Traitor

Pretty, pretty good actually! Middle eastern flavored but calm, restrained, ambient and at parts melodic.

MARK KILAN - Rendition

More in the same league, but a bit more raw, and aggressive in places. Mark, with his musical background, is very impressive in this field.
  3. NP: The Special Relationship (Desplat)

Been interesting listening to Desplat music this week - both this one and Harry Potter being new opportunities to listen to what he does. I think this is the stronger score of the two.
    I think the orchestrations of POTTER are sublime, but I don't quite hear the theme - elegantly developed - I need to to really love that album. So in a way we're still waiting for that epic score that knocks the ball out of the park on every level. I prefer the action and orchestrations of POTTER, but I prefer the themes of NEW MOON. Much as I'm reluctant to blame the director for things that might be due to the composer, you do have to wonder why David Yates didn't put his hand up for more themes back at the scoring stage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    I think I agree with Potter. I liked it a lot at first, but it hasn't grown on me. It may have gone slightly the other way. I don't think it's nearly as strong as The Golden Compass, so thematically rich.
  4. Ah yes, COMPASS. I don't get the tingles I got with that one's 'Dust' theme, or the theme for Eva Green. Still, it's a beautiful sounding work, POTTER.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

Very good score.
  5. NP: La Isla del Cangrejo - Angel Illarramendi

This has become in one of my favorite Illarramendi scores. There's five themes in this score. The main theme it's very good, played in strings and brass, in Karramarro, Perlas Magicas and Folder Baita. The other three themes have amazing vocal renditions with soloists and male chorus in Cancion del Kain, Perla Zuria, Itsas Andere, Mar de Esmeralda, Una Canción en la Tormenta and Piraten Koplak. And there's a fifth theme for the villian of the film, played in the basses and it's very ominous.

I reccomend it.
  6. Southall wrote
    I think I agree with Potter. I liked it a lot at first, but it hasn't grown on me. It may have gone slightly the other way. I don't think it's nearly as strong as The Golden Compass, so thematically rich.

Like I said, I think we have to wait for the movie so will know Desplat's real intentions. Maybe there's more themes or more Hedwig's theme. I still believe that Obliviate's abrupt end it's because of the title.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Predators - John Debney

This actually sounded better in the film. On CD Silvestri's influence seems to overwhelm a lot of Debney's own work which is either paying homage to his predecessor's style or aping it with mediocre results. Still, some of the action music is pretty decent.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Special Relationship (Desplat)

Been interesting listening to Desplat music this week - both this one and Harry Potter being new opportunities to listen to what he does. I think this is the stronger score of the two.

Does this cover the same ground thematically as The Queen Michael? or does it have a few new ideas?
  7. There's some similar textures, David - no question who wrote - but it's pretty new ground. No repeated themes. What's interesting is the way Desplat brings a sort of American swagger in via the odd jazzy solo, sentimental string harmonies and a bluesy electric guitar ostinato. There is a passacaglia in it that recalls Morricone (e.g. Ripley's Game main theme).

NP: The Golden Compass (Desplat)

A rich album if ever there was one. So much going on.
  8. I'm trying to go through my entire collection alphabetically by composer right now. That would be a much harder job for most of you than it is for me (I probably don't have 250 scores). It's been fun to listen to some scores that I haven't heard for a long time. Tonight is one of those:

East-West - Patrick Doyle

I like this score. It has some really good themes, some great slavic influence, fun Russian stuff, great piano stuff, soft beautiful moments, momentous dramatic build-up. It's a fine score, and it's been too long since I last listened to it.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Excellent Michael, that's great to hear. The Queen is absolutely one of my favourite Desplat scores but I'm certainly open to hearing new material for this.

The Karate Kid - James Horner
    Flowing with rich and fresh thematic material - and yet mostly with surprising subtlety too. One of the year's best releases, no doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's some similar textures, David - no question who wrote - but it's pretty new ground. No repeated themes. What's interesting is the way Desplat brings a sort of American swagger in via the odd jazzy solo, sentimental string harmonies and a bluesy electric guitar ostinato. There is a passacaglia in it that recalls Morricone (e.g. Ripley's Game main theme).

What kind of overall mood ?
  9. Buzzing energy...? Energy in general, but not a forceful energy. A fair sense of Americana and sentimentality at moments too, but filtered through the colder Desplat orchestrations.

NP: Golden Compass (Desplat)

Terrifically good, actually. I'd forgotten how good. NEW MOON may have nice themes, but this is a wonderful composition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Conan The Barbarian video: http://www.pragueorchestras.com/conan.htm

Ordered in a heartbeat

shocked shocked shocked WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! shocked shocked shocked

knight cry punk spin punk punk punk punk spin punk cry knight

flash BEST RELEASE IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE!!! flash

^ That.

We can close the message board now.
    The zenith has been reached.
    There is nothing left to say.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010 edited
    I was playing : Fair game (Powell)

Can anyone steal the percusion section to Powell???!?!?!?!?¿!?!¿?!¿?!¿!!?

crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy

NP:Goblet Of Fire (Doyle)

Grand, Bold, epic, romantic, magical, thematic...

why not Doyle instead of Desplat? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Because writing concert suites and pasting them into films - while it may make for very enjoyable albums - does not necessarily enhance the film. It may - as I have heard is literally true for Goblet of Fire - make your film seem laughably pretentious to some people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    Because writing concert suites and pasting them into films - while it may make for very enjoyable albums - does not necessarily enhance the film. It may - as I have heard is literally true for Goblet of Fire - make your film seem laughably pretentious to some people.

Is what Doyle did???

(Zimmer does it all he time :P )