• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    Yes that's what Doyle did. I've read people (who are film music fans) say they can't help laughing when watching films with Doyle scores because his use of music makes the films feel so pretentious. And, while I don't mind that in the right film, it doesn't quite work in Harry Potter.

The difference between what Doyle does and what Zimmer does is that Zimmer's "suites" are usually a bit more "low-key", less "in your face," they enhance the film's emotions rather than trying to awkwardly "describe" the emotions like Doyle's music does.

Which is not to say that Goblet of Fire is not damn good music - it totally is. But Zimmer seems to have a better understanding of how to write music that works in a film - at least "works" for current audiences.

Anyway, NP: Let Me In - Michael Giacchino
    I really really like this score, beautiful and haunting.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let me in is beautiful? Which tracks?

As for Doyle's happy potter, i loved what he did for the film and his work in general. I think you're taking Harry Potter too seriously.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, I am indeed taking Harry Potter too seriously. smile

"Peeping Owen", "Neighbors of Love," "First Date Jitters", "Regarding Evil,", "Parting Sorrows," and the final 3 tracks are all gorgeous in a darker-version-of-Lost sort of way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LIFE ON EARTH - Edward Williams

I never even knew this existed until I picked up this copy in a store last weekend ( only £4 too! ), it's the soundtrack for the 1979 David Attenborough BBC series, superb orchestral music with a minimal use of electronics that effortlessly conjures worlds of spectacularly lit jellyfish, insects shedding their skin, migrating birds, herds of elephants and all the other natural wonders that you expect from these legendary programs.

The sound of the album is good but not great, it's in mono and is taken from vinyl sources as the original tapes have long been lost, it was a labour of love for the producer, Jonny Trunk, who tracked it down as only 100 LP's were pressed as presents to members of the orchestra.

A gorgeous album and I'm enjoying it a lot cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let me re-listen those. Cause the first listens of the cd did absolutely nothing to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote

This is so odd-sounding that I am intrigued.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010 edited
    I am trying for LET ME IN again but those female chanters sound plain awful to my ears. Nothing from the magic of lost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Must be a matter of personal taste then, I love that sort of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Surely, everything is smile

"first date jitters" is exactly the point of having the sound of Lost, but not the emotion. This score is a big miss for me.
  1. Timmer wrote

I didn't enjoy this as much as I hoped I would. Love the title theme - even when it first came out I would wait until the end of the credits to hear it - but the rest is a struggle to get through. Nothing to do with the quality of the recording, just the style of music.

One to revisit from time to time though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

If you're looking for something that doesn't sound generic then this is for you, these Attenborough series had various composers until George Fenton came along and did all of them, just listening to this and it's obvious Edward Williams is a very accomplished composer and much of it is in a similar vein to Fenton's approach.

I'm finding this a very refreshing listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

If you're looking for something that doesn't sound generic then this is for you, these Attenborough series had various composers until George Fenton came along and did all of them, just listening to this and it's obvious Edward Williams is a very accomplished composer and much of it is in a similar vein to Fenton's approach.

I'm finding this a very refreshing listen.

Life On Earth is anything but generic!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I didn't enjoy this as much as I hoped I would. Love the title theme - even when it first came out I would wait until the end of the credits to hear it - but the rest is a struggle to get through. Nothing to do with the quality of the recording, just the style of music.

One to revisit from time to time though.

There's a point where our musical tastes merge and then diverse into very different musical branches Alan wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let me re-listen those. Cause the first listens of the cd did absolutely nothing to me.

neither for me. Even the "end credits" is boring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A VIEW TO A KILL - John Barry

One of my favourite Bond scores and very underrated IMO.

And before I forget, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to JOHN BARRY who is 77 today. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Yes that's what Doyle did. I've read people (who are film music fans) say they can't help laughing when watching films with Doyle scores because his use of music makes the films feel so pretentious. And, while I don't mind that in the right film, it doesn't quite work in Harry Potter.

I'll flat out disagree with that. I think what Doyle did for Potter was nothing short of spectacular. More of my thoughts about the score HERE!

Today I have three scores lined up. First, James Horner's magnificent adventure score to BALTO. I would love for Horner to score more animated features. It brought the best out of him!

I will then move onto THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. My "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" book arrived yesterday and so I have to play the score. BTW, the book is OUTSTANDING! There is an entire chapter dedicated to the "I Love You!" "I Know Scene" Cinematographer, Peter Suschitzky, managed to get a wireless mic on Kershner as they were setting up the scene and tape recorded everything from Harrison Ford's discussions with Kershner about changing the dialogue and set up for that scene to Fischer and Ford's feud over how the scene was being handled. It's amazing to read the transcript "word for word" and to know that there was so much tension and hatred on the set during the creation of one of the most memorable and emotional scenes in the entire Star Wars sage. I highly doubt conversations like this were going on between Lucas, McGregor and Portman on the prequel trilogy. It's 16 of the most fascinating pages of film history that I've ever read!

And the rare photographs of the sets and props. I mean, life size Falcons and X-Wings... HUGE sets, actual models, etc. As an actor you could get lost in the set and truly believe that you were in the Star Wars universe. I had goosebumps looking at the sets and mattes created for the Vader/Luke duel. That was art! This is where Lucas and his blue screen/green screen virtual sets failed the actors in the prequels. I mean, you should SEE the Dagobah swamp set and the actual Yoda puppet at work! shocked I highly recommend that you all purchasing this treasure!

I will then move onto Gabriel Yared's rejected score to TROY. That might be a bit too much epic music for one day so I have John Barry's THE SCARLET LETTER on stand by!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    I will then move onto THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. My "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" book...

Not directly related to the book, but reading this reminded me of something.

Erik, did you ever have the "The Story of..." LPs related to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi? I loved those albums!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I had the 24 page read-a-long adventure books. Wore those out. They were lost main years ago but I did manged to find LP copies of those books on eBay for a very good price. I play them for my son.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I will then move onto THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. My "The Making of The Empire Strikes Back" book...

Not directly related to the book, but reading this reminded me of something.

Erik, did you ever have the "The Story of..." LPs related to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi? I loved those albums!

I never had them myself but bought all of them as presents to a good friends youngest brother, needless to say, I also got to enjoy listening to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I also have the radio dramas which are top notch!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The 'Empire' book looks fantastic Erik ( there was a 'taster' in the recent issue of movie magazine, EMPIRE....appropriately enough wink ), more than that though, I want the Drew Sturzen book which I had a look through recently while in Waterstones, it looks phenomenal and it's on my Christmas list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Both are excellent! You should also look into the "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones" which is in the same format as the Empire book! 300 pages of awesomeness!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    £$£$£$£$£$ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!£$£$£$£$£$
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'd be really interested in reading that dialogue from the carbonite scene, but I don't exactly have any extra cash right now...maybe someday, it sounds fascinating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Every time The Imperial March pops up my face looks like this... cheesy Every fooking note, orchestration, theme is bloody brilliant!

-Erik-
  4. yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Possibly the best thing John ever composed. Among many other utterly brilliant things John has composed.

It's music I have to sing along with for the entire duration (2 full hours), and like Krull it completely wears me out. I mean it, I have practically no voice left in the end. biggrin

Would love to own a copy of the book you described. I think I'd have an orgasm too whenever I opened it. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    I think I'd have an orgasm too whenever I opened it. punk

I know some chicks who are in great need of this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I think I'd have an orgasm too whenever I opened it. punk

I know some chicks who are in great need of this.

...and you're not obliging? uhm
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    I also have the radio dramas which are top notch!

-Erik-

I've never bought these whenever I've seen them. But I do remember listening to them on a portable transistor radio (with a mono earplug) I used to take to school for when they aired the show - at lunchtime during the week!!