• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010
    NP:Airbender (JNH)
    After Deathly Hallows and Legend of the guardians, this score is pure bless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

I can't get beyond 'okay.....ish'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

lol That's pretty good! lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited
    I like very much The mix between Mystical flutes, clanging metal percusion and Newton Howard string writting.

About the themes and motifs, if you watch the movie you will figure out better them. "hall of Avatars" is BEAUTIFUL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, I wasn't chuckling at your opinion I just thought that what you write was rather clever!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited
    I was listening to the Aliens Deluxe edition Gilles ...
    I don't have the blu-rays yet , they're ordered though ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Eric wrote
    ... wink

cONGRATULATIONS
  1. ^

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Nautilus wrote
    Eric wrote
    ... wink

cONGRATULATIONS

confused
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. Hostage - Alexandre Desplat

I hereby christen this as my favorite Desplat score for an American suspense film (maybe my favorite score, period), out of this, Firewall, and The Ghost Writer. I love the wordless vocals, the recorder solos (an interesting instrument to use in an action film), and the almost classical approach he takes with this project, when he could have simply written some generic "musical commentary" that numerous movies like this are given. I almost like this as much as Inquietudes, one of his best.
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Hostage - Alexandre Desplat

I hereby christen this as my favorite Desplat score for an American suspense film (maybe my favorite score, period), out of this, Firewall, and The Ghost Writer. I love the wordless vocals, the recorder solos (an interesting instrument to use in an action film), and the almost classical approach he takes with this project, when he could have simply written some generic "musical commentary" that numerous movies like this are given. I almost like this as much as Inquietudes, one of his best.

I love the fact that the vocals are from Desplat's daughter, Antonia. The themes are very good, especially the ones for Tommy and Talley.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010
    Try Largo Winch, it's even better, although a French thriller. wink
  4. Brothers in Arms - Hells Highway (Ed Lima & Duncan Watt)

I can't recommend this videogame score enough. Very emotional writing and a main theme to die for. Instantly memorable like only the best film themes can do. Short as the score album is, anyone can tell a lot of thought went into its composition. Can't stop listening to it, really ... it's that good !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thanks for the recommendation, sounds excellent smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010 edited
    NP : SUPERGIRL - Jerry Goldsmith

There's some fantastic cues here, the main titles, first Flight, Monster Tractor etc but it's overlong ( it's the expanded Silva release ) and I always end up skipping tracks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: New Moon - Alexandre Desplat
    One of the top 10 scores of the decade, for me, for sure.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FOR THE RECORD: ANGELO BADALAMENTI

Fantastic compilation of Badalamenti's best themes and pieces. The first cd contains orchestral highlights like The City of Lost Children, Cousins, The Edge of Love, A Very Long Engagement and of course Twin Peaks, with that stunning orchestral finale. The second cd is a mixed bag, but contains some interesting pieces like Inside the Actors Studio and Barcelona Summer Olympics. Varèse released a one cd compilation based on this one, which was performed by the Brussels Philharmonic and was conducted by Dirk Brossé.
    Kazoo
  5. Timmer wrote

There's some fantastic cues here, the main titles, first Flight, Monster Tractor etc but it's overlong ( it's the expanded Silva release ) and I always end up skipping tracks.

Skipping tracks? angry Goldsmith? shocked where's my sword ????? knight

The Silva release is perfect for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Skipping tracks? angry Goldsmith? shocked where's my sword ????? knight

The Silva release is perfect for me.

Yeah... me too. A great journey score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I say, I'm terribly sorry old chaps, do forgive me.
  6. I'm in a forgiving mood so... kiss
  7. Up (Michael Giacchino)

Great stuff !!! Michael in super-melodic, warmhearted and sentional writing mode. I love UP
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The Film and TV Music of Christopher Gunning - Christopher Gunning, BBC Philharmonic cond. Rumon Gamba

Hugely enjoyable!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: The Film and TV Music of Christopher Gunning - Christopher Gunning, BBC Philharmonic cond. Rumon Gamba

Hugely enjoyable!

I'm definitely getting this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Hugely enjoyable!

You won't regret it. I also have his Symphonies Nos 3 & 4 / Oboe Concerto and Orchestral Works to listen to. It's a Gunning-flavoured weekend (with a bit of Vaughan Williams thrown in, which I'll explain in the non-film music thread)!
  8. Gunning's style isn't one that immediately appeals to me. But I'm really enjoying the Poirot variations track.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Hugely enjoyable!

You won't regret it. I also have his Symphonies Nos 3 & 4 / Oboe Concerto and Orchestral Works to listen to. It's a Gunning-flavoured weekend (with a bit of Vaughan Williams thrown in, which I'll explain in the non-film music thread)!

cool beer

I'd like to hear your opinion on the Gunning works.
  9. NP: Obliviate - Deathly Hallows

I like this cue for the beginning of the film. The string ostinato and the four notes motif are very good. Too bad it doesn't have Hedwig's theme, but a girl watched Deathly Hallows a few hours ago and she said that Hedwig's theme is played when the WB Loogo shows up, and then Obliviate is played.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

Yeah baby, it don't get much better than this!
  10. Sorry Tim, but it does...

CE3K aka Close Encounters of the Third Kind - John Williams

This, along with Superman and Star Wars are why Williams will always be in my top 3 composers. He can write crap from now on, I don't care he has written absolute milestones and I'll always love him for it.

This is 77 minutes of goosebumps, thrills, awe and wonder !!!!!!

Can it get any better than this? cool