• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Sorry Tim, but it does...

CE3K aka Close Encounters of the Third Kind - John Williams

This, along with Superman and Star Wars are why Williams will always be in my top 3 composers. He can write crap from now on, I don't care he has written absolute milestones and I'll always love him for it.

This is 77 minutes of goosebumps, thrills, awe and wonder !!!!!!

Can it get any better than this? cool

Yes it can and does! As a listening experience I far prefer the old Arista CD that runs at about 40 minutes ( cripes! Shoot me now, I'm turning into Thor suicide )

oh yeah, and as an album to listen to from begining to end the expanded CE3K isn't as enjoyable as The Final Conflict.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    oh yeah, and as an album to listen to from begining to end the expanded CE3K isn't as enjoyable as The Final Conflict.

Well for me it is. I absolutely adore the atonal stuff as well as the pure melodic bits. It holds some of Williams' most complex writing. Cues like 'Roy's first Encounter' and 'Barry's Kidnapping' are simply mindblowing.

This score never fails to move me. It's definitely one from Williams I would take with me to an island. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well for me it is. I absolutely adore the atonal stuff as well as the pure melodic bits. It holds some of Williams' most complex writing. Cues like 'Roy's first Encounter' and 'Barry's Kidnapping' are simply mindblowing.

This score never fails to move me. It's definitely one from Williams I would take with me to an island. beer

To be honest Gilles there isn't anything to really argue about here as I DO agree with you, CE3K is in my top 20 scores of all time, atonal stuff...the lot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Well yes but you don't particularly enjoy the lot of it... I do!!!!! cheesy

And the CD just ended. That's it for Mr. Williams' magic. I'll just put the CD on repeat in my head. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well yes but you don't particularly enjoy the lot of it... I do!!!!! cheesy

And the CD just ended. That's it for Mr. Williams' magic. I'll just put the CD on repeat in my head. cool

You're assuming things Gilles, I do enjoy the lot of it, it's just that I think the shorter album makes a better listening experience, I'm still very happy to have both releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Wing Commander - David Arnold & Kevin Kiner

The movie was crap but the music kinda rocks ! wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE NEW WORLD - James Horner

One of the most relaxing scores I've ever heard.
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE NEW WORLD - James Horner

One of the most relaxing scores I've ever heard.

"All is Lost" is one of the most tragic and cathartic cues I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Horner's 'The New World' is fantastic and beats the crap out of the anachronistic Wagner and Mozart off-cuts used in the final film (if used in the correct context, of course, not wanting to diminish the reputation of said Wagner and Mozart pieces).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Jim Ware wrote
    Horner's 'The New World' is fantastic and beats the crap out of the anachronistic Wagner and Mozart off-cuts used in the final film

Couldn't agree more.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    mallick is musically weird
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Indeed. Tell Horner about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    horner is plain weird though
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yeah, tell Yared about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  3. Marselus wrote
    Jim Ware wrote
    Horner's 'The New World' is fantastic and beats the crap out of the anachronistic Wagner and Mozart off-cuts used in the final film

Couldn't agree more.

I'd like to agree myself, but that's just defensive chest-beating on behalf of our favourite composers. Horner wrote splendid music. What little of it is left in the film makes it too much like TITANIC, which was his stated aim. (And not the director's.) wink

NP: Ah, why not the adagio from Piano Concerto 23 (Mozart) cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Yeah, tell Yared about it.

applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Horner's 'The New World' is fantastic and beats the crap out of the anachronistic Wagner and Mozart off-cuts used in the final film (if used in the correct context, of course, not wanting to diminish the reputation of said Wagner and Mozart pieces).

A pair of hacks! What the hell arre they doing in a film?
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

You're assuming things Gilles, I do enjoy the lot of it, it's just that I think the shorter album makes a better listening experience, I'm still very happy to have both releases.

Fair enough. It's just the full 77 minute package is the one I'll always need, because anything less will be a much worse listening experience for me. So that's probably where we differ. wink

Just like I could never return to the single CD Superman, now that I'm so fond of the complete score, it's the complete experience that I cherish so much and that fulfills all my musical desires.
  5. Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

An instantly memorable and gorgeous selection of music, although I could've done without the vocal tracks at the end, and not because I don't understand polish. But considering the brilliance that came before it, that's easily forgiven. Anything similar that Kilar has done recently? Because I'd love to hear that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

An instantly memorable and gorgeous selection of music, although I could've done without the vocal tracks at the end, and not because I don't understand polish. But considering the brilliance that came before it, that's easily forgiven. Anything similar that Kilar has done recently? Because I'd love to hear that.

This score is unbelievably good. What other Kilar scores have you heard Gilles?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Fair enough. It's just the full 77 minute package is the one I'll always need, because anything less will be a much worse listening experience for me. So that's probably where we differ. wink

Just like I could never return to the single CD Superman, now that I'm so fond of the complete score, it's the complete experience that I cherish so much and that fulfills all my musical desires.

What you have to realise Gilles is that I've been familiar with the shorter release for a very long time, I bought the LP in 1977, it's year of release ( it even came with a 45rpm single, a pop version of the 5 note theme, a curio if ever there was one dizzy ) and then much later the CD release of the LP, so this is the version I fell in love with and is the version I know every single note of, I also believe it's a re-recording ( ala The Fury, E.T. etc... Erik???), I do enjoy playing the expanded from time to time and like I said before, I'm very happy to have both versions but it's just that I feel ( cue Thor ) the shorter version is a more cohesive listening experience.

I agree with you on Superman though wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

This score is unbelievably good. What other Kilar scores have you heard Gilles?
    is this a new release ?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What do you mean D? That it's a rerelease or that you've not heard it before?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

Achingly gorgeous score and one of my all time favourites and at just over 30 minutes is one of those rare scores I can play immediately after having already listened to it once, the main theme is, IMO, one of the most beautiful ever written.

I should also like to point out one of my favourite pieces from the album, Restoration a gorgeous elegiatic piece that effortlessly conjures the sound of Vaughan Williams without ever sounding like a rip-off, on the other hand the theme, particularly in it's gorgeous arrangement in the final track Reunion owes it's pastoral beauty to French composer Gabriel Faure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Conan The Barbarian (Prometheus) - Basil Poledouris

Rock solid. It's amazing to hear how far the City of Prague has come. They have knocked this one into the next stratosphere! This is one of the greatest film scores ever written... probably just out of the top 10 for me... Top 15 for sure. The sonics are detailed, deep, and punchy. Orchestrations that I've never heard before are now clear as day. Basil would have be so proud of this release. Extra points for using a click track to make sure the tempos stay the same for each cue!

Even though there are few flubs here and there this is one of the greatest releases of the year! Highly recommended! I'll have two massive suites on my show in the next few days!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Conan The Barbarian (Prometheus) - Basil Poledouris

Rock solid. It's amazing to hear how far the City of Prague has come. They have knocked this one into the next stratosphere! This is one of the greatest film scores ever written... probably just out of the top 10 for me... Top 15 for sure. The sonics are detailed, deep, and punchy. Orchestrations that I've never heard before are now clear as day. Basil would have be so proud of this release. Extra points for using a click track to make sure the tempos stay the same for each cue!

This is one of the greatest releases of the year! Highly recommended! I'll have two massive suites on my show in the next few days!

-Erik-

...and guess what has just dropped through my letterbox a mere minute ago biggrin punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

First listen.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Still listening to Conan and I notice that they weren't able to replicate that screeching, torturous cymbal sound in "Wheel Of Pain." That's a bit of a disappointment because that sound is what makes the cue so good as it reflects the pain and suffering Conan is going through in the movie at that moment. Oh well...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Good to hear that everyone else is settling down to this one today. sad

But the very positive comments make me look forward to this even more!!

Re: the screeching cymbals Erik. I'm sure that they tried to recreate them - but failed!

I'll have to be happy with listening to Doctor Who - Series 5 (Murray Gold) and then Buried (Victor Reyes).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn