• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Re: the screeching cymbals Erik. I'm sure that they tried to recreate them - but failed!

Yeah... they tried to do it with a bow on the cymbal. It's not the same.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Re: the screeching cymbals Erik. I'm sure that they tried to recreate them - but failed!

Yeah... they tried to do it with a bow on the cymbal. It's not the same.

-Erik-

Do you know how they achieved the sound on the original?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No I don't unfortunately. I'm wondering if they use a tam-tam and scraped something across it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

First listen.

WOW! shocked

I hear what you say about the Wheel of Pain, Erik, but I think it's a minor quibble so far, I thought it was very powerful still.

Anyway, I'm already talking too much.....back to listening.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

An instantly memorable and gorgeous selection of music, although I could've done without the vocal tracks at the end, and not because I don't understand polish. But considering the brilliance that came before it, that's easily forgiven. Anything similar that Kilar has done recently? Because I'd love to hear that.

This score is unbelievably good. What other Kilar scores have you heard Gilles?

I have the essentials: Dracula, Death and the Maiden, Portrait of a Lady and The Ninth Gate. Any others that rival these? I would get them asap.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited
    Like everyone, I'm now listening to greatness myself:

Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy - Nobuo Uematsu

BLOODY BRILLIANT !!!!! punk punk punk punk

If you ever wondered what a John Williams-esque concert album would sound like, not written by Williams, but by the John Williams of japanese videogame music, Nobuo Uematsu, you couldn't do better than with this album, featuring an amazing selection or orchestral and choral selections from the many FF games he has written the soundtrack for. The performances are stunning throughout. For fans of incredibly thematic and epic music.

If you think I'm lying, check out the clips.

I've also bought the second album, as one album of greatness just isn't enough. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    What do you mean D? That it's a rerelease or that you've not heard it before?
    both. I don't know about this release.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ahhhh, I see. We'll have to sort that out. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: LEGEND (jerry GOLDSMITH)

Genius!

the whole score is inventive and beautiful as hell, but the last 4 tracks are terrific : Waltz, Darkness falls, The Ring and Reunited.

What scores fantasy scores do you think capture more this magic???

Legend, Secret of Nimh, Hook, Krull.....What else?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: LEGEND (jerry GOLDSMITH)

Genius!

the whole score is inventive and beautiful as hell, but the last 4 tracks are terrific : Waltz, Darkness falls, The Ring and Reunited.

What scores fantasy scores do you think capture more this magic???

Legend, Secret of Nimh, Hook, Krull.....What else?

Not many but if you've never heard it you should try Maurice Ravel's orchestral/choral fantasy Daphnis Et Chloe, this work is singularly the biggest influence on JG's NIMH and LEGEND and the incredible orchestrations sound as fresh today as when it was written.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WEDDING CRASHERS - Rolfe Kent

Very enjoyable Barryesque score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Wedding Crashers? As in Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan not being very funny Wedding Crashers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Been listening to Doyle's HP and the goblet of fire.

After watching the movie, which was expectedly lame, I had to listen to the score more carefully. For some reason I need to listen to each track literally 50 times before it makes any kind of impact. Not because the music is bad; it's just like that for me with certain composers/scores. This is probably why the score did nothing for me when I first heard it, and it took several years for me to give it another go. Glad I did. Harry in winter is a gorgeous love theme, and it's a shame that Doyle wasn't called back to expand upon it (as I hear the love "affair" with the asian chick progresses in the latter movies). The waltzes are also great listens. There are plenty of other noteworthy tracks, but I need to listen to them several more times before they will get to me.

Rating: **** (Of course it might turn into a ****½ rating once I start getting the other melodies)

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'll have to be happy with listening to Doctor Who - Series 5 (Murray Gold)

Did you buy the digital download or the double CD Alan ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: LOST (various seasons) - Michael Giacchino

God, I love this stuff. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote

How are you not tired of it yet!? biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ahhhh, I see. We'll have to sort that out. wink

How?

You're going to deck the guy for not knowing about such music?

Or you're going to upload him the score?

I'd pick the first choice. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote
    Anthony wrote

Easy. I have half a days worth of LOST music. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Wedding Crashers? As in Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan not being very funny Wedding Crashers?

Bingo! wink
  4. Eric wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'll have to be happy with listening to Doctor Who - Series 5 (Murray Gold)

Did you buy the digital download or the double CD Alan ?

I ended up buying the digital download - I had some gift certificates left over from when I finished work that I used up.

Having had a listen to this I'd have to say that 2 CDs is a bit too much and it could have made more of an impact if it had been more selectively selected. Though I do think that it is good that we have so much and people can choose their own playlist.

I need to give this another, more thorough listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    NP: Our man Flint (Goldsmith)

Addictive main theme. And a cool sixties score. I love this psicodelic sound!

I almost can see the girls wearing yellow dresses
  5. Nautilus wrote

And large white buttons and collars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

And large white buttons and collars?

No, almost naked.
  6. We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story - James Horner

I may be the only one on the planet but I totally prefer this animated score over Balto's, which I've never really liked much, despite having some likeable moments. We're Back is just more heartfelt and fun for me to listen to. 'Flying Forward in Time' is just brilliant emotional Horner like I adore him. And how about those circus tracks... dizzy Haha, I don't think we've heard something similar from the man before and since this score. I love 'em. In fact I love this score, it has good themes, and a very nice build-up to a couple of standout cues at the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Still listening to Conan and I notice that they weren't able to replicate that screeching, torturous cymbal sound in "Wheel Of Pain." That's a bit of a disappointment because that sound is what makes the cue so good as it reflects the pain and suffering Conan is going through in the movie at that moment. Oh well...

James Fitzpatrick addressed this issue at FSM.

"In the booklet notes it clearly states that this film sound effect of metal screeching has been replaced with a much more musical effect ... that of a bowed tam tam and vibes harmonics. ...which creates virtually the same thing. I felt that the sound effect after first listening gets a bit boring and repetative as it is the same effect every time, so I wanted to be more interesting? Sorry for that .....!!! "

I can't say that I agree with this artistic decision. It's one of those elements that makes the score truly special and I'm sorry to see that they couldn't use the sound effect that Basil did during the original sessions. Again, a small complained that is overshadowed by such a exemplary release and recording.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Anthony wrote

Never.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Anthony wrote

I am.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Bingo! wink

YOu can replace 'not very funny' with 'hideous' and you're spot on wink
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Still listening to Conan and I notice that they weren't able to replicate that screeching, torturous cymbal sound in "Wheel Of Pain." That's a bit of a disappointment because that sound is what makes the cue so good as it reflects the pain and suffering Conan is going through in the movie at that moment. Oh well...

James Fitzpatrick addressed this issue at FSM.

"In the booklet notes it clearly states that this film sound effect of metal screeching has been replaced with a much more musical effect ... that of a bowed tam tam and vibes harmonics. ...which creates virtually the same thing. I felt that the sound effect after first listening gets a bit boring and repetative as it is the same effect every time, so I wanted to be more interesting? Sorry for that .....!!! "

I can't say that I agree with this artistic decision. It's one of those elements that makes the score truly special and I'm sorry to see that they couldn't use the sound effect that Basil did during the original sessions. Again, a small complained that is overshadowed be such a exemplary release and recording.

-Erik-

I'd agree with you on this one, Erik. If it's a particularly distinctive sound on a score it can me a trademark for the score in a way. There are some effects used in Christopher Young's Hellraiser that almost makes it the score itself (besides the music, of course!)

Thanks for posting the comments here, Erik.

beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Anthony wrote

I am.

-Erik-

Wow! shocked

Not me, I'm lukewarm on Giacchino's LOST but Erik, Erik is tired of it!!!?