• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Wedding Crashers? As in Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan not being very funny Wedding Crashers?

Bingo! wink

YOu can replace 'not very funny' with 'hideous' and you're spot on wink

The only good thing is that I bought the score after seeing the film on TV, good score, crap film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN - Elmer Bernstein

No words necessary.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Chicken Run - Powell & Gregson-Williams

I totally love this nonstop onslaught of creative writing. There's hardly a minute that goes by where my ears aren't greeted with some sort of wonderful musical idea. It's one of the most fun scores ever for a hilarious and brilliant film. I really should see it again. punk beer

So far it's been an incredibly FUN film music day. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I almost can see the girls wearing yellow dresses

And large white buttons and collars?

No, almost naked.

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Not me, I'm lukewarm on Giacchino's LOST but Erik, Erik is tired of it!!!?

Indeed! I can get through the first album no problem. I think Giacchino wrote his best stuff for that first season. Giacchino added some great new themes and some great music in the subsequent seasons but the sound of Lost soon got incredibly old and tiresome for me. And once that sound started leaking into a lot of Giacchino's film work I started to become increasing turned off by that sound. I still think Giacchino is one of the best composers working in Hollywood today but I'm really glad that Lost is over and have no interesting it returning to the Lost soundtracks ever... with the exception of season one!

NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams

Bliss!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

No words necessary.

My appreciation of this Goddamn brilliant score was enhanced greatly by finally seeing the film for the first time a few months ago!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Indeed! I can get through the first album no problem. I think Giacchino wrote his best stuff for that first season. Giacchino added some great new themes and some great music in the subsequent seasons but the sound of Lost soon got incredibly old and tiresome for me. And once that sound started leaking into a lot of Giacchino's film work I started to become increasing turned off by that sound. I still think Giacchino is one of the best composers working in Hollywood today but I'm really glad that Lost is over and have no interesting it returning to the Lost soundtracks ever... with the exception of season one!

-Erik-

I have the same feeling about Lost, I've never been able to grow into the later seasons music, the first season is still a sort of highlights album, the overall sound of the following seasons is just too monotonous for my taste. I remember having had the displeasure to buy that double disc album (season 3 was it?) listen to it two times, having turn it off and instantly feeling the urge to sell it. I think I slept with my eyes open during those two overlong discs. sleep
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Timeline (Rejected Score) - Jerry Goldsmith

Actually my very first listen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

No words necessary.

My appreciation of this Goddamn brilliant score was enhanced greatly by finally seeing the film for the first time a few months ago!

-Erik-

WOW! shocked biggrin

If you'd been brought up in Britain, Erik, you'd have seen it sooooooo many times on TV by now that you could recite the dialogue backwards wink It has sometimes seemed the case, here in the UK, that this and The Great Escape have played on a permanent loop since the 1960's.

p.s. Casts don't often get much better than Mag 7 and let's not forget the wicked brilliance of Eli Wallach.

p.p.s. and then there's the cast of The Great Escape.... shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I have seen The Great Escape -- in a high school film class and loved it -- and The Mag Seven has been on TV over the years religiously I've just never got around to seeing it. Glad I finally did.

-Erik-
  3. Eric wrote
    NP : Timeline (Rejected Score) - Jerry Goldsmith

Actually my very first listen ...

I'll join you.

Timeline (rejected) - Jerry Goldsmith

It's actually not bad, only missing a memorable theme, but there are some fine action cues, the 11 minute one being the kickass monster it is. smile
  4. Tim if you missed it on the previous page, care to add some titles that would interest me?

Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

An instantly memorable and gorgeous selection of music, although I could've done without the vocal tracks at the end, and not because I don't understand polish. But considering the brilliance that came before it, that's easily forgiven. Anything similar that Kilar has done recently? Because I'd love to hear that.

This score is unbelievably good. What other Kilar scores have you heard Gilles?

I have the essentials: Dracula, Death and the Maiden, Portrait of a Lady and The Ninth Gate. Any others that rival these? I would get them asap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Just finished it ... I quite like it , it has some nice action tracks like you said but is indeed missing a theme that sticks in your mind . The 'Battle and Finale' track rocks your socks ! punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Tim if you missed it on the previous page, care to add some titles that would interest me?

Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

An instantly memorable and gorgeous selection of music, although I could've done without the vocal tracks at the end, and not because I don't understand polish. But considering the brilliance that came before it, that's easily forgiven. Anything similar that Kilar has done recently? Because I'd love to hear that.

This score is unbelievably good. What other Kilar scores have you heard Gilles?

I have the essentials: Dracula, Death and the Maiden, Portrait of a Lady and The Ninth Gate. Any others that rival these? I would get them asap.

I don't really have that much more than what you've mentioned except, Konig Der Letzten Tage which is excellent!

I would also SERIOUSLY recommend you seek out two CD's of his classical work released on the cheap label NAXOS, his concert works are mostly fantastic and are very similar to his film score work, a piece called Exodus For Orchestra & Choir, in particular, will Blow. Your. Mind.
  6. Ok thanks mate, I'll go hunt for these, if I can find them. Always wanted to expand my Kilar collection, a very under-appreciated composer, or is it just that he finds his own music so over-appreciated?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ok thanks mate, I'll go hunt for these, if I can find them. Always wanted to expand my Kilar collection, a very under-appreciated composer, or is it just that he finds his own music so over-appreciated?

I don't think he's that under-appreciated? At least by film score fans, but there really isn't that much out there that's available of his ( As well as the scores you've already mentioned I also have his scores to Zemsta, Le Roi Et L'Oiseau & Fantome Avec Chauffeur but apart from the odd good track or two I couldn't honestly recommend them, maybe someone else thinks differently? ), I don't know if Konig Der Latzten Tage is still easily available? If not, there is a great six track suite totalling 20 minutes on the Marco Polo release Dracula and Other Film Music by Wojciech Kilar.

The NAXOS releases should be easy to find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Yeah, I'll be on the lookout after I can DL and have a listen.

I remember reading once that Mr. Kilar didn't show too much appreciation his own film music, that he felt it was definitely not worth going crazy over. I cannot disagree more with this. His film scores are excellent.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, I'll be on the lookout after I can DL and have a listen.

I remember reading once that Mr. Kilar didn't show too much appreciation his own film music, that he felt it was definitely not worth going crazy over. I cannot disagree more with this. His film scores are excellent.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sometimes, composers really should let just their music do the talking. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    At least by film score fans, but there really isn't that much out there that's available of his ( As well as the scores you've already mentioned I also have his scores to Zemsta, Le Roi Et L'Oiseau & Fantome Avec Chauffeur but apart from the odd good track or two I couldn't honestly recommend them, maybe someone else thinks differently? )

I didn't like Zemsta because of the songs and the comedy/farce nature of the music. Fantome avec Chaffeur is awesome! It has a lush piano nocturne and some intense Dracula-like tracks. Tim, perhaps you should revisit the latter. Some of the tracks are on youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF9HgDSiXrw

I don't know if Konig Der Latzten Tage is still easily available? If not, there is a great six track suite totalling 20 minutes on the Marco Polo release Dracula and Other Film Music by Wojciech Kilar.

The NAXOS releases should be easy to find.

Oh yes! Koenig der Letzten Tage is available from Dominus Animae.
    http://www.cafepress.com/dominusanimae.58352414
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah BP, it's been some time since I've played 'Fantome' ( I have the CD ), I'm always willing to give everything a second or even third chance wink
  7. I'm really liking the clips from 'Konig der Letzten Tage'. Pretty sure I'll order it soon. Thanks for recommending it to me as it sounds right up my alley. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    NP: Super Atragon - Masamichi Amano

This is a stunner! An absolutely magnificent 90s score written for the anime film.
    It's contains huge, often sweeping melodies mixed with militant action all performed with symphonic power.
    I'm often reminded of Christopher Gordon's work when listening to this.
    If you can still get hold of it GET IT!!!
    To quote one review "Classical in every way you turn, this CD is a masterpiece. With depths of feeling that would make even Mozart shiver. The music is absolutely stunning in the way it is not only composed, but also in how it is performed. The Warsaw Philharmonic National Orchestra of Poland take simple notes written out on a sheet of paper and turn it into a joyous romp through the deep seeded emotional turmoil that is man. The cues conjure up every emotion you can think of, from deep melancholy, to purest joy. From Suspense to down right fear. The classical feel to the music only makes it better. Complete and total, a great sound. I'd have to say it's just downright beautiful to hear."
    I'm certainly glad to have this in my collection!

It's something I can enjoy while I await Conan's arrival!
  8. That sounds pretty damn good. Countryman, where did you buy this? Lend me your insight.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You have my attention.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me too! I really enjoy his Battle Royale score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited
    Aaahh, I have a friend who is an anime score collector who directed my path.
    It's from his private (and extensive) collection.
    Once he learned of my musical tastes, namely rich, large, sweeping scores filled with wonderfully orchestrated action cues he recommend giving this a go.
    Being more a fan of the tech filled "bubble gum" sounding anime albums he's not so appreciative of it.
    So he has loaned it (indefinately?) to me. I've backed it up and will try to return it. But I'm hoping he will allow me to buy it from him. Maybe I shouldn't have said it's "in my collection". Just hopefull. We'll see.
    But damn it's good! Each track a gem.
    But that's just my opinion. You might think differently.
    Also my friend thinks it might be hard to get now. Damn it!

I think all the cues are on YouTube if you want to have a listen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RORCLTbq … re=related
  9. Atham wrote
    But damn it's good! Each track a gem.
    But that's just my opinion. You might think differently.

Look, I've bet on other people's opinions before. It's time I gave yours a go. wink And you mentioned Gordon.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Listen to the samples, Michael! "Theme of the UN Forces" is awwwwwwwwwe-sooooome!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Glad you like it Erik!
    An awesome track surrounded by many other awesome tracks!
    How this score got under the radar for so many years I'll never know!