• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    It's really good! biggrin
  1. Atham wrote
    Glad you like it Erik!
    An awesome track surrounded by many other awesome tracks!
    How this score got under the radar for so many years I'll never know!

It's anime and not from Hollywood. There's two reasons to start off with.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Not me, I'm lukewarm on Giacchino's LOST but Erik, Erik is tired of it!!!?

Indeed! I can get through the first album no problem. I think Giacchino wrote his best stuff for that first season. Giacchino added some great new themes and some great music in the subsequent seasons but the sound of Lost soon got incredibly old and tiresome for me. And once that sound started leaking into a lot of Giacchino's film work I started to become increasing turned off by that sound. I still think Giacchino is one of the best composers working in Hollywood today but I'm really glad that Lost is over and have no interesting it returning to the Lost soundtracks ever... with the exception of season one!

NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams

Bliss!

-Erik-

Not even THE FINAL EPISODES? It's a stunning compilation of Giacchino's Music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    More info / sound clips on those lesser known Kilar scores please?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Atham wrote
    Glad you like it Erik!
    An awesome track surrounded by many other awesome tracks!
    How this score got under the radar for so many years I'll never know!

It's anime and not from Hollywood. There's two reasons to start off with.

Well, yes. Good point (sad but true).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

Awestruck!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LEGENDS OF THE FALL - James Horner

Sumptuous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LEGENDS OF THE FALL - James Horner

Sumptuous.

One of the reasons why I love Horner's music.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. "Dragonslayer" (used off an FSM member; LLLR release)
    Alex North

What an interesting listen this was. I hope I'm using correct terminology here.

The combination of traditional scoring approach, with prodominent use in all tracks of dissonance, sometimes harsh, greatly varied orchestration, unusual orchestration techniques (as opposed to any normal score you've ever owned), and a theme that is so twisted up in orchestration varience, it's often hard to even find it (David Newman will occassionally do something similar). Colorful, harsh, and intriguing. Not everybody's cup-of-tea, as I recall comments from time-to-time.

I need to hear it again. Off the top of my head, I love the way track 7 ended.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    "Dragonslayer" (used off an FSM member; LLLR release)
    Alex North

What an interesting listen this was. I hope I'm using correct terminology here.

The combination of traditional scoring approach, with prodominent use in all tracks of dissonance, sometimes harsh, greatly varied orchestration, unusual orchestration techniques (as opposed to any normal score you've ever owned), and a theme that is so twisted up in orchestration varience, it's often hard to even find it (David Newman will occassionally do something similar). Colorful, harsh, and intriguing. Not everybody's cup-of-tea, as I recall comments from time-to-time.

I need to hear it again. Off the top of my head, I love the way track 7 ended.

It's not something I return to often, it IS quite a harsh listen but I do find it interesting, I presume you've heard 2001 Justin, it's a similarly challenging listen.
  3. No, I have not. I didn't have cash to buy it at the length of time Intrada had it available. Not it's on the bottom of my priorities list.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Force Unleashed II - Mark Griskey

Lots of fun! Great variations on Vader's Theme. Lots of great Williamsesque styled writing! Check out the entire 50 minute promo at http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatu … shed_2.htm

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Oh gimme gimme gimme! I'd love to hear it as Griskey is someone who understands what a Star Wars score should sound like.

Are you as interested as I am in hearing the upcoming score to The Old Republic Erik? There is supposed to be immense choral music present, not unlike Williams' Duel of the Fates. Hopefully it'll earn its place among the other SW videogame scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited
    I hope an official release of Force Unleashed 2 happens this time around. I love Griskey's work.
    The second interview on that page after Griskey is with author Sean Williams who's written the novels to the games (among many other best selling fantasy novels).
    He used to work at a CD shop not far from me many years ago. I'd often buy my soundtracks from there. He's the nicest guy you'd ever meet. He actually bought Goldsmith's Alien off me when I was selling stuff during a financial low period I was going through. He introduced me to Kilar's Dracula score too.
    We often spoke of film scores and fantasy/sci- fi films and was always great to get served by him just for that chat that always took place.
    Then one day he said he was leaving and that he'd written his first novel. I was very surprised!
    In all those years he never eluded to his writing talent!
    I hope I meet up with him again one day. He's done very well for himself!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Uncommon Valour - James Horner

Quite good, really. Mix of rather cheesy militaristic stuff and snippets of First Blood (from the period of James Horner's career when no score was complete without some Goldsmith).
  5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

'Farewell to Dobby' is heartrending. One of Desplat's most emotional pieces. I wish the rest of the score touched on these feelings at time. Perhaps the sequel will offer the opportunity.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Southall wrote

Quite good, really. Mix of rather cheesy militaristic stuff and snippets of First Blood (from the period of James Horner's career when no score was complete without some Goldsmith).

I love how the guy who dated his daughter said that he never *heard of* Goldsmith when his career started and got asked about the rips! I've read that he actually attended Star Trek TMP sessions, which almost led him to reject the job on Wrath of Khan
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Force Unleashed II - Mark Griskey

Lots of fun! Great variations on Vader's Theme. Lots of great Williamsesque styled writing! Check out the entire 50 minute promo at http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatu … shed_2.htm

-Erik-

Just listened to Griskey's The Force Unleashed II. Thanks for the link, Erik. I enjoyed this and you're right: there are some great variations on Darth Vader's theme. The entire "Assault On Kamino" - which has some of the best variations - is a highlight of a very loud selection of tracks.

Managed to capture the tracks as they streamed using Microsoft's replacement to the Media Encoder 9, Expression Encoder 4. A bit of a beast to find my way around but managed in the end to get some reasonable versions of the tracks. Hopefully this score will get some sort of a release soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

'Farewell to Dobby' is heartrending. One of Desplat's most emotional pieces. I wish the rest of the score touched on these feelings at time. Perhaps the sequel will offer the opportunity.

I listened that cue a lot and it made my cry like six times. I'm sure that Desplat is going to make several heartbreaking pieces for the Part 2.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

I love how the guy who dated his daughter said that he never *heard of* Goldsmith when his career started and got asked about the rips! I've read that he actually attended Star Trek TMP sessions, which almost led him to reject the job on Wrath of Khan

Didn't know about the near-rejection of Khan, but it's obvious Horner was influenced by Jerry in everything he wrote around that time. It couldn't be clearer than the use of the blaster beam and similar orchestrations in Battle Beyond the Stars.

I've had a good quality bootleg of Uncommon Valor, but I still need to listen to my official copy. It's a great score IMO and a very welcome release. So I'm uncommonly happy. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. James Bond 007: Bloodstone - Richard Jacques

First the good, the score attempts to sound like Bond, complete with the wailing brass every Bond score should have. There is a central motif which reappears in many of the cues, but itsn't very memorable. I have to say this score seriously suffers from S.S.S. (sounding similar syndrome), because after a while all the music starts to sound the same, and I can't honestly say one cue stood out from the pack. They all have the same structure, repetitive in nature, they're hardly boring, but they didn't keep me interested either. Bloodstone's more miss than hit, and people wanting to hear what else Richard Jacques has done, check out the superior Headhunter, a similar sound, but much more interesting action music. Plus a theme that sticks in the mind.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

First I've heard of it?

I believe that story was attributed to Sergei Prokofiev, not Jerry Goldsmith.
  11. What? Horner attended the Prokofiev recording sessions? shocked

Now that would make more sense than everything else in the world... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, the claim was that he'd never heard Alexander Nevsky.....or something like that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think he did do an interview where he was asked about the Goldsmith influence and he said he'd never heard of him when he was starting out, or something like that. Unless it's an urban legend!
  12. He did, the quote is listed on IMDb even. The thing is that he dated Goldsmith's daughter around the creation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture and actually attended TMP's recording sessions.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    James Bond 007: Bloodstone - Richard Jacques

First the good, the score attempts to sound like Bond, complete with the wailing brass every Bond score should have. There is a central motif which reappears in many of the cues, but itsn't very memorable. I have to say this score seriously suffers from S.S.S. (sounding similar syndrome), because after a while all the music starts to sound the same, and I can't honestly say one cue stood out from the pack. They all have the same structure, repetitive in nature, they're hardly boring, but they didn't keep me interested either. Bloodstone's more miss than hit, and people wanting to hear what else Richard Jacques has done, check out the superior Headhunter, a similar sound, but much more interesting action music. Plus a theme that sticks in the mind.

Agreed, Blood Stone certainly isn't bad, but it's so long and the action music hardly ever lets up that all I remember is that it was loud.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He did, the quote is listed on IMDb even. The thing is that he dated Goldsmith's daughter around the creation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture and actually attended TMP's recording sessions.

And the IMDb has been known to get things wrong. Still, I'm not saying this isn't true but I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCHINDLER'S LIST - John Williams

Moving, inspired, beautiful.
  13. Indeed, what you said, but not I can play too often. You cannot watch the film without hearing the music, and you cannot listen to the music without seeing the film in your mind.