• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Indeed, what you said, but not I can play too often. You cannot watch the film without hearing the music, and you cannot listen to the music without seeing the film in your mind.

I know some here will argue with you on that, personally I 100% agree with you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

One of the greatest film scores written, a sublime work and with the screaming winds and miserable cold outside my window it couldn't be more fitting.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    with the screaming winds and miserable cold outside my window

Where are you?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bristol, it's died down a bit now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010 edited
    Ah, ok, I did hear there was some nasty weather in and around the UK*.

*this is assuming that you don't actually mean one of the apparently 21 U.S. cities called Bristol.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Alenxander (Vangelis)

Leaving "titans" aside, it's not so bad. A piece of Babilon.
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : SCHINDLER'S LIST - John Williams

Moving, inspired, beautiful.

I always preferred Munich. I don't know why...maybe it's because I'm not a fan of solo violin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    NP: Robin Hood - Marc Streitenfield

I actually like it for the most part. I like the folksy influences. Sometimes there is way to little movement in the music though. Let's just say I'm happy I got it cheap. (Actually very cheap...)
    - What matters is the music -
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote

I always preferred Munich. I don't know why...maybe it's because I'm not a fan of solo violin.

Munich? Loved the film, not overly taken with the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Ah, ok, I did hear there was some nasty weather in and around the UK*.

*this is assuming that you don't actually mean one of the apparently 21 U.S. cities called Bristol.

No, the original that all the U.S. Bristol's are named after. ( likely because John Cabot sailed from here )
  2. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote

Munich? Loved the film, not overly taken with the score.

I'm a fan of the wailing vocals, as overused as they are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not a fan at all, but in Munich Williams wrote beautifully for them. The other case would be Gladiator and Passion of the Christ. Otherwise, in most of the cases they make me sick.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Back to the Future Part II - Alan Silvestri

The less inspired of the three, but just as much fun. At least this score has a couple of themes that put a big smile on my face. This must be one of my first purchased scores as I still remember having owned this score on vinyl, the only one to boot. Can't say where that big old thing is nowadays. I'm just happier listening to my CD. Sorry Demetris.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    INCEPCTION zimmer

One of Zimmer best scores.

Angels and Demons, Sherlock Holmes and Inception are Zimmer doing what he does best. Amazing TRIO!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010 edited
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

For me, this is easily, hands frickin' down the best score of the year! And the film, after seeing it for the third time last night, is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite films. It has been a long, LONG time since I've had this kind of emotional connection to a film and its score. Everything about it is bloody brilliant. If I was a kid this would be my The Goonies, my The Explorers, my Flight of the Navigator. It's the film that any kid could get lost in and spark his or her imagination!!!

As for the score itself... it's thematically rich, epic is scope and down right pitch perfect in the emotional department. "Forbidden Friendship" and "New Tail" are the "Married Life" cues of 2010. And you know what, I prefer Powell's cues over Giacchino's. That's not to put down Giacchino's brilliant piece but Powell's "Forbidden Friendship" brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it on its own and when played in the film. I can't say the same about "Married Life." How To Train Your Dragon is movie magic!

I can't give the score and film enough praise! While it won't happen, I would be tickled pink if Powell won his first Oscar for this sublime score! Here's hoping the film wins the Oscar for best animated film as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Dawn Of The Dead (2004) - Tyler Bates

Not an easy listen , certainly not to relax by .
    But it's effective in the movie ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've not heard it? Have you featured the score on any of your shows Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... I haven't. The score came out as I was making the transition between my old site and the new. But maybe I can fit it into one of my up coming programs. Maybe a fantasy adventure themed show with music from The Goonies, The Explorers, Flight of the Navigator and How To Train Your Dragon. I'm just noted it in my note book.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

That's not to put down Giacchino's brilliant piece but Powell's "Forbidden Friendship" brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it on its own and when played in the film. I can't say the same about "Married Life." How To Train Your Dragon is movie magic!

-Erik-

"Forbidden Friendship" is one of the most touching tracks I ever heard. The whole score is magnifique. You can't get better than this.

too many highlights!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    I can't give the score and film enough praise! While it won't happen, I would be tickled pink if Powell won his first Oscar for this sublime score!

I hope he gets a nomination as a bare minimum. I couldn't think of another one of his scores that's more worthy.
  4. Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I can't give the score and film enough praise! While it won't happen, I would be tickled pink if Powell won his first Oscar for this sublime score!

I hope he gets a nomination as a bare minimum. I couldn't think of another one of his scores that's more worthy.

Me too. It's time for a nomination for Powell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    No... I haven't. The score came out as I was making the transition between my old site and the new. But maybe I can fit it into one of my up coming programs. Maybe a fantasy adventure themed show with music from The Goonies, The Explorers, Flight of the Navigator and How To Train Your Dragon. I'm just noted it in my note book.

-Erik-

Mmmm! I like the sound of a show like that, when you have the time, of course. wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    I'm really praying for a nomination for Powell too. Unfortunately, I guess it will be 127 Hours taking the Best Original Score this time, but it would be truly amazing (and a sensible decision for two times in a row for the Academy biggrin ) if they let HTTYD take it instead. The score is easily in my top 5 this year and I'm greatly looking forward to hear how it plays in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Eragon - Patrick Doyle

Excellent fantasy , adventure score with a very memorable theme !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley

Wonderful score, darn it but I even like "that" song although I would prefer the version used in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiight Eyeeeeeeeees

I love it. bunny
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin wink beer <--tea, hey, it's early here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    beer

I recently added the Kehaar theme to my "flying music" playlist. How did I forget it? It's so easy-going and feels flying!

and now flying with....

NP: The Kite Runner - Alberto Iglesias
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

I've decided I love the version of Column of Sadness / Wheel of Pain, very powerfully done with more noticable detail, not disappointing at all.

Pit Fights is playing right now, what a superb and exhilarating homage to Miklos Rozsa this is! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010 edited
    Really looking forward to hearing Conan screaming out his lungs in his new shiny combat armor. punk

Until that time I'll keep me occupied with some of my favourites:

Rambo III - Jerry Goldsmith

I love this for its emotional core, the music is less about action like in First Blood Part II and more about the wonderful melodies only Jerry could come up with. But the action cues are all good too. God, how I miss him when listening to this one. sad Thankfully we have his timeless music to remember him by for all time. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.