• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

There's only one way to follow the sublime greatness of a score like CONAN and that's to follow it with more sublime greatness.

punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Pit Fights is playing right now, what a superb and exhilarating homage to Miklos Rozsa this is! cool

Excellent observation. It's very obvious now you mention it but I must admit I hadn't noticed it before.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010 edited
    NP: Sunset Boulevard - Franz Waxman
    Joel McNeely conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

I'm familiarizing myself with this score as the new edition will be in my hands sometime next week and will be on my show days later. I remember the score being really good but I forgot just how absolutely brilliant it really is. Such a multi-layered score. It's comedic, dramatic, exciting, romantic, etc. Everything you could ever want in a film score is in this exceptional score.

I have no experience with the original soundtrack recording so McNeely's version is all I have but I must say that it sounds great! I can't wait to sample the new release.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Eric wrote
    NP : Eragon - Patrick Doyle

Excellent fantasy , adventure score with a very memorable theme !

Everything's memorable after it's repeated 4,306 (approx) times without variation! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Special Relationship - Alex D

For me, Desplat's finest of the year. I can't stop playing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Eric wrote

Everything's memorable after it's repeated 4,306 (approx) times without variation! wink

Indeed.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm familiarizing myself with this score as the new edition will be in my hands sometime next week and will be on my show days later. I remember the score being really good but I forgot just how absolutely brilliant it really is. Such a multilayed score. It's comedic, dramatic, exciting, romantic, etc. Everything you could ever want in a film score is in this exception score.

I have no experience with the original soundtrack recording so McNeely's version is all I have but I must say that it sounds great! I can't wait to sample the new release.

-Erik-

I have never ever heard of this but now I am going to buy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Pit Fights is playing right now, what a superb and exhilarating homage to Miklos Rozsa this is! cool

Excellent observation. It's very obvious now you mention it but I must admit I hadn't noticed it before.

Peter smile

I did notice it. It's great seeing others make the same connection. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Erik Woods wrote

I'm familiarizing myself with this score as the new edition will be in my hands sometime next week and will be on my show days later. I remember the score being really good but I forgot just how absolutely brilliant it really is. Such a multi-layered score. It's comedic, dramatic, exciting, romantic, etc. Everything you could ever want in a film score is in this exceptional score.

-Erik-

Good idea, Erik. Listening to the clips it sounds so vibrant. A property that's sometimes overlooked with re-recordings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote
    Eric wrote

Indeed.

I still love it ! tongue wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I - Alexandre Desplat

I'm only 4 tracks in this so far, but I'm really loving what I'm hearing. This is looking to be Desplat's magnum opus, and certainly a contender for score of the year. I haven't heard Hedwig's Theme yet, but I'm not really bothered by that. What Desplat has conceived is perfectly adequate for me.
  3. Scratch that, I heard the theme at the end of "Polyjuice Potion".
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Waiting for Superman
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Has he turned up yet Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I - Alexandre Desplat

I'm only 4 tracks in this so far, but I'm really loving what I'm hearing. This is looking to be Desplat's magnum opus, and certainly a contender for score of the year. I haven't heard Hedwig's Theme yet, but I'm not really bothered by that. What Desplat has conceived is perfectly adequate for me.

Halfway through now and I'm hearing one recurring theme, which appears in "Snape to Malfoy Manor" and "The Locket". It's sounds like a darker version of his theme for Birth.
  5. Some cues that are really standing out to me: Sky Battle, At the Burrow, Harry and Ginny, Ministry of Magic, The Locket, and Ron Leaves.

I'm really love this dark undercurrent so far. Desplat has spent way too much time with those lightweight romances...
  6. Another cue that sounds like a twisted version of the Birth theme is Destroying the Locket. I like how the romantic strings mingle with the frenzied dissonance. It's pretty unnerving.

I'm also loving Lovegood. It's really funky and exotic, sorta reminiscent of Thomas Newman's work for Lemony Snicket.
  7. Okay, two more cues that I'm enjoying: Captured and Tortured (with its fierce percussion) and Rescuing Hermione...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sleep

Dood... write just one post.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. One more to top it off: Farewell to Dobby.

All in all, I'm impressed. I don't plan on seeing the movie (at least, not now), but I'm confident the score just as well in the film as it does on CD. I'm already stoked for Part II. Bravo Mr. Desplat!! biggrin
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    sleep

Dood... write just one post.

-Erik-

Nah, I like running commentaries. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I like running commentaries too...the more posts to read, the better...you end up saying more when you write 5 posts about the same score smile
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    One more to top it off: Farewell to Dobby.

All in all, I'm impressed. I don't plan on seeing the movie (at least, not now), but I'm confident the score just as well in the film as it does on CD. I'm already stoked for Part II. Bravo Mr. Desplat!! biggrin

I watched the film. Desplat's music was a little bit butchered. There's some cues of the CD which doesn't sounds in the movie, and the ones from the CD which sounds on the movie, are very different. Like Harry and Ginny, The Will, Hermione's Parents, Captured And Tortured, Rescuing Hermione, Farewell To Dobby and The Elder Wand.
  11. Yuck, that's no good...well, I'll always have the CD. Moving on...

Searching for Bobby Fischer - James Horner

This was the score that really developed the "Genius" theme that Horner first introduced in Sneakers one year earlier. But what really floors me is that this score was used as a temp track for A Beautiful Mind 8 years later, especially during some of the latter's deleted scenes. Amazing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Waiting for Superman

Tom, how's that score?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited
    NP: Cinema Symphony - Andrew Pearce

Pure symphonic scoregasm! Brilliant stuff!

OK, I know technically it's not a score but it may as well be!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I - Alexandre Desplat

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : They Live - John Carpenter & Alan Howarth

As a fan of John Carpenter the director I'm also a fan of John Carpenter the composer .
    I always loved his synth scores , they always have a 'special' atmosphere and the man
    made a few memorable themes that really stick in your mind . Good stuff ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    NP: Cinema Symphony - Andrew Pearce

Pure symphonic scoregasm! Brilliant stuff!

OK, I know technically it's not a score but it may as well be!

Technically it is a score but technically it's not a FILM score. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited
    It's an hommage to cinema, right? So though it's not a film score, on the other hand, it is a film score.