• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    Stevens Five-O scores are such an accomplished work. There is no way Tyler can match it! And these modern twist scores are so bland and uninteresting. No soul, no heart.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Brideshead Revisited: The Television Scores of Geoffrey Burgon

Sad that it took his death to prompt me to listen to this outstanding collection.

Adrian Johnston's is also excellent!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    NP: Resident Evil 5 - Kota Suzuk & Wataru Hokoyama

punk

Yeah baby! Fantastic action/suspense/horror score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Sad that it took his death to prompt me to listen to this outstanding collection.

Yeah, but he's not dead yet. wink

'Testament of Youth' is one of my favourites from that album, James.
    When it comes to writing music for small ensembles for TV, Burgon was one of the masters. I hesitate to refer to a certain recent 6 season American TV show, but there are times when it seems like everyone thinks that ability to work with a small ensemble was something it took that composer to do well first.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010
    Hells Belles since I'm working on a review. I give Les a lot of credit for making a few instruments sound like a whole lot more.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, but he's not dead yet. wink

'Testament of Youth' is one of my favourites from that album, James.
    When it comes to writing music for small ensembles for TV, Burgon was one of the masters. I hesitate to refer to a certain recent 6 season American TV show, but there are times when it seems like everyone thinks that ability to work with a small ensemble was something it took that composer to do well first.

smile beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - prince of persia

One of the best scores of the year. Colorful, grand, thematic, properly middle eastern colored (as in non just boring atmosphere but with actual themes) and elegant, one of my most played this year.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's alright, but Knight And Day has gotten played much more than this already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Knight and Day indeed has surprising staying power. It's more than just "another Powell action score."
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I didn't find anything remarkable about Knight and Day. Sounded like a standard Powell actioner to me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Jeepers Creepers 2 - Bennett Salvey

One of my all time favorite horror scores! Great action music and wonderful atmosphere! Dynamic recording by Shawn Murphy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Quick and the Dead - Alan Silvestri

Loving Silvestri's tip of the cap to Morricone! Excellent album and a hoot of a film!

-Erik-
  2. Great Composers: Georges Delerue.

I'm currently playing the suite from CRIMES OF THE HEART on the 2nd disc. It's quite a long suite, and generally of very high quality. This sounds like it would be a Delerue album worth having for reasons other than just the main theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "SNAP!"

NP : THE QUICK AND THE DEAD - Alan Silvestri

Great score!

Thanks for the nudge Erik beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't find anything remarkable about Knight and Day. Sounded like a standard Powell actioner to me.

-Erik-

Standard stuff indeed.
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Jeepers Creepers 2 - Bennett Salvey

One of my all time favorite horror scores! Great action music and wonderful atmosphere! Dynamic recording by Shawn Murphy!

-Erik-

I just love this score......where is this man anyway?

JOHN MURPHY - kick ass

A very pleasant surprise. As i said last night in the recent viewing topic, i loved how he combined his "sunshine" "28 days / weeks later" material with symphonic writing and a grand, dramatic theme. Very impressed by this and i would urge anyone who is happy that Rahman seems to be replacing him in the Danny Boyle collaborations to give a listen to this first smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I am 99% sure the "grand, dramatic theme" is from Jackman. Based on the track listings on the promo I have which specify who worked on what track, and also based on familiarity with Jackman's previous works, it has his sound.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ricochet - Alan Silvestri

Bad ass action score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Open Range - Michael Kamen

Brilliant.
  3. Great score indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010
    NP : OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent and scary late night music, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I found this at a local library:

NP: The Last Emperor - Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Byrne

Though I had heard the fantastic two tracks (The Theme suite and Rain (I Want A Divorce)) from Sakamoto's compilation albums, now I'm impressed by all of Sakamoto's tracks on this album. In addition to those two tracks, I especially love Where is Armo?, it's beautiful and emotional...

David Byrne part is too different from Sakamoto's I think... not bad but I'm not so impressed.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010 edited
    NP : Resident Evil - Marilyn Manson & Marco Beltrami

You have to be in the mood for this one but I find it very athmospheric and it does the job perfectly in the movie ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010 edited
    James Potter 2 Opening Theme (an interesting variation on the John Williams theme by Isaias Garcia)

(0'00" until 1'16) @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTi1yXVZ4E
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    I found this at a local library:

NP: The Last Emperor - Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Byrne

Though I had heard the fantastic two tracks (The Theme suite and Rain (I Want A Divorce)) from Sakamoto's compilation albums, now I'm impressed by all of Sakamoto's tracks on this album. In addition to those two tracks, I especially love Where is Armo?, it's beautiful and emotional...

David Byrne part is too different from Sakamoto's I think... not bad but I'm not so impressed.

I absolutely love Sakamoto's score to this Miya, though, like you I was not taken with either Byrne or Cong-Su's efforts and skip those entirely when playing the album.

Have you ever heard LITTLE BUDDHA or THE SHELTERING SKY?
  4. Sakamoto - great
    Byrne - average
    Cong Su - too little on the album.

It's a great score as a whole. I heard it thanks to Miya smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE PIANO | michael nyman

Some of his music is fantastic. Gattaca is even one of my favourite scores of all time. The Piano is sometimes a bit a mixed bag. There's some stunning tracks like A Wild and Distant Shore and of course its main theme, which even though overplayed, is really beautiful. But not all music is very captivating, unlike Gattaca or The Claim for example.
    Kazoo
  5. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE QUICK AND THE DEAD - Alan Silvestri

Great score!

You know, Trevor Jones was originally hired to score the film?
    (rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/supposedlyrejected.html)

I've said it before, and will say it again: I think this is one of Silvestri's best scores (inspite of it's deliberate "Mars Bringer of War" usage -- which is terrifically used, by the way [much more so than Eidelman's ST6]), and a 2Cd set of the complete score would be most welcomed (the 2CD boot is not complete), and if Jones recorded anything, than a 3 or 4CD set would be welcomes (even if just demo cues).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010
    Battlestar Galactica: Season Four (OST) (Bear McCreary)

By all means: stunning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010
    NP : DUNE - Toto

Excellent score, easily the best of all the Dune scores.