• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I think you'll find that you meant to say "Brian Tyler/Children of Dune" Tim?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think you'll find that you meant to say "Brian Tyler/Children of Dune" Tim?

Nope!

Dune by Toto tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DUNE - Toto

Excellent score, easily the best of all the Dune scores.

In fairness, it doesn't have much competition!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Deep - John Barry

First listen. Oh dear. I don't think there will be many more listens.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Eric wrote
    NP : Resident Evil - Marilyn Manson

You have to be in the mood for this one but I find it very athmospheric and it does the job perfectly in the movie ...

Is this the "band soundtrack" + 4 score tracks by Marilyn Manson or is there a score soundtrack out there? If I remember correctly the score was a collaboration between Marilyn Manson and Marco Beltrami.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Nope!

Dune by Toto tongue

Indeed! Tyler's score is so... :whispers: overrated!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Have you ever heard LITTLE BUDDHA or THE SHELTERING SKY?

Yes, but only some tracks on his compilation albums.
    I love his theme (song) for a movie called Poppoya (though he didn't score it). And Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence is my favorite, which I've heard on the local radio several times, though at first didn't know it's a film score!

Also I recently found myself liking his non-film music works. Some are a little too experimental, but I like the addictive Grasshoppers and a short piece called "The day a gorilla gives me a banana" biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Have you ever heard LITTLE BUDDHA or THE SHELTERING SKY?

Yes, but only some tracks on his compilation albums.
    I love his theme (song) for a movie called Poppoya (though he didn't score it). And Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence is my favorite, which I've heard on the local radio several times, though at first didn't know it's a film score!

Also I recently found myself liking his non-film music works. Some are a little too experimental, but I like the addictive Grasshoppers and a short piece called "The day a gorilla gives me a banana" biggrin

Well, you have me intrigued and I'll have to listen to those non film works. beer

As regards Little Buddha and Sheltering Sky I seriously recommend you seek them out, both are fantastic and varied scores, particularly Buddha.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Nope!

Dune by Toto tongue

Indeed! Tyler's score is so... :whispers: overrated!

-Erik-

Yeap! Apart from one or two tracks that I really like it's very generic and uninteresting.
  2. The Rocketeer - James Horner

What a fun, old-school work this is. Classic Horner...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Legend of the Guardians - David Hirschfelder

Symphonic adventure score, thematic and highly enjoyable. Not very original but huge fun and great sound.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

:whispers: overrated!

Yeap! Apart from one or two tracks that I really like it's very generic and uninteresting.

Bah. Humbug. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Evan's funeral, by Ryuichi Sakamoto from LITTLE BUDDHA, one of the most beautiful and heartfelt adagios ever to be written for the film music medium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - un prophete

Touching and heartwarming, mesmerizing, beautiful, hypnotic. One of the best movies and scores from last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote
    The Deep - John Barry

It has a certain style that you really need to be in the mood for where you don't expect any musical action or surprises. Really for John Barry purists/completists more than anything.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

Touching and heartwarming, mesmerizing, beautiful, hypnotic. One of the best movies and scores from last year.

It's a lot of those things, but heartwarming? dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010 edited
    Yeah, if you watched the film. But not in the pleasant, uplifting way, rather the opposite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote

How did I miss this one? I got like 4 or 5 Desplat scores from last year.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Deep - John Barry

It has a certain style that you really need to be in the mood for where you don't expect any musical action or surprises. Really for John Barry purists/completists more than anything.

That'll be me. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

:whispers: overrated!

Bah. Humbug. angry

You're a fan of Tyler's Dune?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Evan's funeral, by Ryuichi Sakamoto from LITTLE BUDDHA, one of the most beautiful and heartfelt adagios ever to be written for the film music medium.

You do like your adagios don't you D. cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh i absolutely adore them, make me break in pieces!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, if you watched the film. But not in the pleasant, uplifting way, rather the opposite.

I think you mean 'stirring'. 'Heartwarming' is pretty much the domain of the 'pleasant, uplifting' sort of stuff. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Legend of the Guardians - David Hirschfelder

Symphonic adventure score, thematic and highly enjoyable. Not very original but huge fun and great sound.

sleep
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Weren't you liking it at first?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    IT's got some very good action cues, fun. There's a lot of mickey mousing and forgettable generic stuff but which modern score that sound like that doesn't?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    As if a movie trying to use owls as the characters of a Lord of the Rings style fantasy epic wasn't already bound to be failish, there has to be mickey mousing in it?? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The symphonic kind of mickey mousing that tries to be amusing and Williams-esque / Goldsmith-ish at the same time; the worst kind for me wink But the opening cue and the action pieces are quite entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So, basically like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? slant