• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010 edited
    Ranietz wrote

Is it an official release or a bootleg? I have a 37 track bootleg but the quality is crap. sad

There hasn't been any 'official' release that I know of .
    Mine has 43 tracks devided over 2 CDs ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    Eric wrote
    Ranietz wrote

Is it an official release or a bootleg? I have a 37 track bootleg but the quality is crap. sad

There hasn't been any 'official' release that I know of .
    Mine has 43 tracks devided over 2 CDs ...

Thanks. I'll see if I find it somewhere. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010 edited
    NP: The Dark Hour - Alfons Conde

Superb horror score from a very talent young up and coming composer. This is a mix of Penderecki's unconventional, avant-garde style, John Williams in Close Encounters/War of the Worlds mode and James Horner's Aliens. That's the best I can describe it. Angry, eerie, dissonant! However, about half way through there is a this gorgeous little melody that pops up - a lovely, gentle theme on the woodwinds. It doesn't stick around for long as it quickly get extinguished by the growls and roars of the brass section. Conde breaks from the horror scoring for a few more moments for a touching elegy heard in "Pablo's Funeral." A more fantastical theme is heard immediately afterward in "Judas Tells the Story" which then gets us back into the atmospheric horror scoring from the first part of the album. This is the type horror scoring that I absolutely adore! A perfect score for this time of the year! Check it out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    Hmmm......interesting! Penderecki, dark, angry, dissonant! Love the description!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. "Meeting Jenny" from Cousin Bette by Simon Boswell

What a fantastic piece of music! It took me a long time to warm up to this album....actually, I still haven't, really. But some of it is better to me now than it used to be. "Meeting Jenny" took no time to warm up to, however. It's short, but what's there is magic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010
    NIGEL HESS - ladies in Lavender

Absolutely stunning orchestral beauty with breathtaking violin soli and surely one of the best scores ever composed; if you think i am exaggerating you simply haven't heard this yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Haunting - Jerry Goldsmith

A lot better than I remembered.

-Erik-

I really like it. Bruce Botnick's recording is incredible.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Absolutely stunning orchestral beauty with breathtaking violin soli and surely one of the best scores ever composed; if you think i am exaggerating you simply haven't heard this yet.

Indeed! What has Nigel Hess done since this? What has he done before it? If I'm not mistaken this is his only film score. Does anyone know if any of his other music is anywhere near as beautiful as this?
  3. christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed! What has Nigel Hess done since this? What has he done before it? If I'm not mistaken this is his only film score. Does anyone know if any of his other music is anywhere near as beautiful as this?

http://www.myramusic.co.uk/content/listen.shtm
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0381511/

According to his bio on that site, the score you are talkign about, is one the label's highest sellers.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Atonement (Dario Marianelli)

I remember I became quite obsessed (in a good way) with this score when I watched the movie. Now I remember why. One of Marianelli's best efforts (along with Agora, IMO). Superb scoring.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010
    christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'd guess he's a concert composer? It shows in his superb writing, absolutely mindblowing music.
    justin boggan wrote
    christopher wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

http://www.myramusic.co.uk/content/listen.shtm
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0381511/

According to his bio on that site, the score you are talkign about, is one the label's highest sellers.

I'd not be surprised' it's one of the most enjoyable scores out there that simultaneously echoes to classical fans too ;got (gets) a lot of attention. Great work.
    Marselus wrote
    NP Atonement (Dario Marianelli)

I remember I became quite obsessed (in a good way) with this score when I watched the movie. Now I remember why. One of Marianelli's best efforts (along with Agora, IMO). Superb scoring.

These are indeed his 2 superior works 'till now; simply beautiful and heartbreaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

A modern day action classic! It's been a while since I've spun this one. Superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited
    TAUGER ATTACK!

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

That's my Jordi fanboy post of the day!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    With intentional poor spelling? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hey hey hey... some one is on top of their game? Should I change it?

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Dark Void - Bear McCreary
    There's still hope for the future of music! This man gets it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

iT's pretty good indeed! The percussion work rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

And it's a great example of how to appeal to the younger generation and their "sound" without abandoning the traditional elements like a bold and recognizable theme.
  4. NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

A lot of the time I forget to revisit some classic scores - and this is a classic. A score that evokes 100% the American west.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    100% awesome
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is impossible for me to agree more. What version are you playing Alan?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

And it's a great example of how to appeal to the younger generation and their "sound" without abandoning the traditional elements like a bold and recognizable theme.

And without sounding crap, i.e. Djawadi.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

I always listen to the re-recording.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Me too, most of the time, but It's great to have the original too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    True, although I'm not a fan of mono.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Me too, most of the time, but It's great to have the original too.

I was listening to the original - the SAE version. I do not have the re-recording.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Wah-Wah - Patrick Doyle

While most have been mightily impressed with Doyle's epic adventure sound as of late, I'm finding that his smaller, more intimate film scores of the past 5-10 years or so to be far more fascinating, more meaningful and more fulfilling. As You Like It, Nanny McPhee, and Nouvelle-France come to mind as well as this this lovely dramatic score for the 2005 film, Wah-Wah. Written mostly for piano and heavy strings this score stays mostly in a minor mode for much of its playing time until the soaring, lyrical, and mindblowing final track. As you listen can really feel that Doyle put his whole heart into this score. A very personal score for a composer that can almost do no wrong.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

Yes, I absolutely adore that score. Love the final two tracks, made all the more satisfying by the fact that the theme doesn't even show up until halfway through the album...rarely do you see such restraint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

While most have been mightily impressed with Doyle's epic adventure sound as of late, I'm finding that his smaller, more intimate film scores of the past 5-10 years or so to be far more fascinating, more meaningful and more fulfilling. As You Like It, Nanny McPhee, and Nouvelle-France come to mind as well as this this lovely dramatic score for the 2005 film, Wah-Wah. Written mostly for piano and heavy strings this score stays mostly in a minor mode for much of its playing time until the soaring, lyrical, and mindblowing final track. As you listen can really feel that Doyle put his whole heart into this score. A very personal score for a composer that can almost do no wrong.

-Erik-

Such a stirring, heartfelt score; shame so few people know it; for me, it's his best, most emotional score to date and an absolute must-have for everyone.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Not me.