• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011 edited
    JP: FLESH+BLOOD - Basil Poledouris (Intrada re-release)
    When I first heard Flesh+Blood on headphones (the Prometheus release, back then the best sounding version), I turned it off halfway down the second track - there was too much hiss, it seemed to be in mono, in short: I decided it was a score destined for less closer listens on my computer or stereo, even though I loved the score itself.

Now, this Intrada release completely solved the issue. The sound is full stereo with good left/right separation, there's barely any hiss audible and all instruments are crystal clear - you can even hear many new details in the recording. Still, it's not as if you're listening to a modern score - it still remains a sound of a score recorded over 25 years ago, a sound that gives the score it's charm and authenticness that I've come to associate it with and I'm glad it's still there. Now THIS is what I was hoping they'd do with CONAN...

This greatly enhances the listening experience, further added by the selection and presentation of tracks. There's only a single track near the beginning (The Noose) that's too short (0:34) and only present for C&C sake, all the rest of the music fleshes out the themes and makes for a very good listen. As I thought, F+B certainly warrants a 65 min listen.
  1. Looking forward even more to this arriving soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Living Daylights - John Barry

Too bad Rykodisc can't put the CD in order.

Yeah, it's exactly the same with the remastered issue from 2003.

Personally it doesn't bother me.

It does me. Those Bond expansions are THE most disappointing expanded editions that I've got. They are scores I genuinely do want to have expanded versions of but they go and present them in ways which make no musical sense, and aren't in film order either! And then because some of the unreleased tracks are combined, you can't even (easily) reorder them yourself, though Living Daylights doesn't have that problem.

I see what you mean, I think this has particular regards to Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever and Live And Let Die.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Me too. But is there much more?

10-15 minutes of notable material (first fire, the backdraft that burns one of the firemen, the fire truck accident among others are unreleased.

Well I'd welcome a 50 minute (give or take) release for certain.

And while he's at it he can release the score of Thelma & Louise at the same time. smile

I can't think of a single Zimmer score where I would welcome an expansion, not one? I quite like the film Thelma & Louise, the score works fine but I have no desire whatsoever to listen to it away from the film. Backdraft is one of my favourite Zimmer scores but I'm more than happy with what's on the CD...except for those appalling 80's middle of the road crap rock songs.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The score release is a weird one, because it prefers underscore (while quite neatly leading to the final action) over action music that is the basic omission. In the film, the scene where the kid gets burnt by a backdraft (leading later to a major stand-off between both brothers) is some of Hans's best action material, so yeah, I'd have that over, say, Arsonist's Waltz.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TRON LEGACY - Daft Punk

First listen.

Just finishing my second listen, I like it!
  3. Green Card - Hans Zimmer

It's a good exotic score, I just noticed that one of the theme is a somewhat re-written version from Driving Miss Daisy.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TRON LEGACY - Daft Punk

First listen.

Just finishing my second listen, I like it!

I like it even more after hearing it in the film. cool
  4. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Living Daylights - John Barry

Too bad Rykodisc can't put the CD in order.

Yeah, it's exactly the same with the remastered issue from 2003.

Personally it doesn't bother me.

It does me. Those Bond expansions are THE most disappointing expanded editions that I've got. They are scores I genuinely do want to have expanded versions of but they go and present them in ways which make no musical sense, and aren't in film order either! And then because some of the unreleased tracks are combined, you can't even (easily) reorder them yourself, though Living Daylights doesn't have that problem.

That's why, whenever I listen to a Bond expanded release (of the little I have), I program the tracks so they're in the film's order... Makes for a way better listen!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. FOREVER YOUNG - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Jerry in delightful romantic mode. With some good action music too. The final cue is a real gem.

Ahhhh, how I miss his particular style of composing.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Family Plot - John Williams

Rather repetitive but quite good. Foreshadows a lot of later works.
  6. Really curious about Family Plot. So best not to expect too much?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's enjoyable, but don't expect a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I heard a harpsichord in the clips, so I bought it. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I heard a harpsichord in the clips, so I didn't buy it. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're just a Lost cause.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I heard a harpsichord in the clips, so I didn't buy it. vomit

You. My man.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:deep Rising

I love this "monster" motif and the energic percusion.

A really underrated score.

I will play next: The Haunting.

Poltergesit meets Basic Instinct!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Am writing my article for my site about the King's Speech
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

It's not as good as Humphrey Searle's score to the original but then again Jerry Goldsmith had to deal with an exceptionally piss-poor remake.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

'LOST' being the operative word rolleyes

A pox of electronic locusts on Anthony & D, Harpsichord rules! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HENRY JACKMAN - Gulliver's Travels

Seriously good orchestral fun. punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's not as good as Humphrey Searle's score to the original but then again Jerry Goldsmith had to deal with an exceptionally piss-poor remake.

Which some people actually like. Before you twist your eyes upward: I like The Haunting for its amazing sound design, art direction, set dressing and score. I like it on a superficial level then. Which is more than enough for me to enjoy something.

I know I don't have very high standards, but I'm not someone who aspires to have them. wink
  8. As I recall -- oddly enough, it's not on my rejected scores site -- Jerry was taking over that film from somebody else, so time may have been a factor in scoring quality. J.N.H., Silvestri, or Barry as I recall.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've never heard anything about John Barry possibly scoring The Haunting?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Which some people actually like. Before you twist your eyes upward: I like The Haunting for its amazing sound design, art direction, set dressing and score. I like it on a superficial level then. Which is more than enough for me to enjoy something.

I know I don't have very high standards, but I'm not someone who aspires to have them. wink

That's more than fair enough Gilles, but I would recommend seeing Robert Wise original film which, IMO, is a horror classic and maybe you'll see why myself and many others consider that film so poorly? Still, it's a lot to live up to and that's not to say I didn't 'sort of' enjoy that remake, I consider myself to have a mostly "high standard" when it comes to films and scores but then again I like a lot of what many people would deem 'crap' so people like me fall further when they get shot down. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I saw the original a while ago but nothing that made me hate the remake so to speak. I didn't feel more scared with the original, it's a lot more suggestive I admit and less in your face than the 1999 version, and I see why most people hold it in high esteem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    As I recall -- oddly enough, it's not on my rejected scores site -- Jerry was taking over that film from somebody else, so time may have been a factor in scoring quality. J.N.H., Silvestri, or Barry as I recall.

I don't think there is any issue with scoring quality. I don't see how Jerry or anyone else could possibly have written a better score for the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Just played : THX 1138 - Lalo Schifrin

It has been a while since I last played this . Not really a soundtrack to relax to . Lots of ambient and non melodic tracks with like the movie , a religious undertone . Probably not everybody's cup of tea ...
    I have a soft spot for the movie though ...

NP : Flesh & Blood - Basil Poledouris

First listen to this new Intrada release ...
    Looks like this is sounding a lot better then the previous releases !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  9. Martijn wrote

biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh