• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. KevinSmith wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PATRICK DOYLE - wah wah

His best score to date. Gorgeous, really gorgeous.

Some great moments, but not all that interesting really. Henry V is more inspiring and emotional than this.

That's a great score too, same as NOUVELLE FRANCE which is pretty underrated; but wah-wah's last 4 cues are clear winners, very emotional and melodic.

Indochine is most inspiring and emotional than Henry V.

Agreed, though I have to go with D on this one. Wah Wah is Doyle's most beautiful score imo. I have yet to buy Nouvelle France, but it's on my short list. I don't enjoy Henry V as much as most people seem to. There are a couple of really good tracks at the end, but most of it is not as enjoyable for me as Wah Wah.

What is up with that ridiculous title, btw? Wah Wah?

NP - The Scarlett Letter - John Barry.
  2. ^

Now The Scarlett Letter is a much more varied and gorgeous score than Wah Wah is, for me. And I completely love the choral rendition of Barber's Adagio for Strings.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TRON LEGACY - Daft Punk

First listen.

Just finishing my second listen, I like it!

This is fooking great! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011 edited
    Cape Fear - Bernard Herrmann (Bernstein version)

One of the better suspense scores that Herrmann wrote, helped by one of the best and most memorable main themes in film music history.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: Sagan (Armand Amar)

I love this. Very simple, but it works.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

Ok, that's it now. I'm getting this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

The CD can arrive any day now!! cool

But it's funny I've been hearing a lot of negative comments on this particular score, not from film music enthousiasts, but from people that expected another pure Daft Punk album, that are totally into their earlier music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

First listen.

Just finishing my second listen, I like it!

Outlands is definitely my favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - i am legend

Exquisite scoring from one of the most worthwile film composers of our times.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Daft Punk - Daft Punk

Listening to the full score with all the bonus cues, and it's just as good (maybe a bit long but still ridiculously entertaining). The regular version is all I need really.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    ^

Now The Scarlett Letter is a much more varied and gorgeous score than Wah Wah is, for me. And I completely love the choral rendition of Barber's Adagio for Strings.

The Scarlet Letter = Dances with Wolves 2.0 (Not that that's a BAD thing).
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Looking forward even more to this arriving soon.

Just found out that my copy of Flesh+Blood has been sent to my old workplace. It'll be a few extra days before I get this now. Goodness knows how long it's been sitting there.

Now I'm off to update my Intrada account details!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ^

It's not as great as DWW but it's still a very very fine score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Cape Fear - Bernard Herrmann (Bernstein version)

One of the better suspense scores that Herrmann wrote, helped by one of the best and most memorable main themes in film music history.

Also memorably used as the theme for Sideshow Bob in a Simpsons episode and paid homage to by Joseph LoDuca in EVIL DEAD III : ARMY OF DARKNESS.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's right up there with my other 2010 favourite, Zimmer's INCEPTION.

I still can't quite believe I consider a Hans Zimmer score the best of a particular year dizzy
  6. Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ^

Maybe less repetitive than DWW (even with less themes).
  7. Cliffhanger - Trevor Jones

One of the most entertaining action scores of the 1990s.
  8. KevinSmith wrote
    Cliffhanger - Trevor Jones

One of the most entertaining action scores of the 1990s.

It sure does have one of the 90s greatest themes, but the score in general falls a little flat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - i am legend

Exquisite scoring from one of the most worthwile film composers of our times.

I agree, I Am Legend has all the great things from JNH: his strings writing, his beautiful piano, grandiose choir, a great theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ^

It's most definitely NOT Dances With Wolves 2.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Okay, I now confirm -- Bernstein's rejected score to "I Love Trouble" is officially one of my favorite of his.

It's got many of the Bernstein characteristics, and an odd amount of Goldsmith compositional style.

Nice use of dueling/duo saxophones (I normally hate sax in any score). I assume -- just an assumption -- it's the same dueling duop from the "Cagney & Lacey" main title; Earine Watts and Ray Pizzi(?).

I should really make a suite of this so people can hear it.

Just a few tracks into David Newman's replacement score ... not enjoying it quite as much. Final word after a full listen.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Tron: Legacy

I just cannot stop playing this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time ~ HGW

Absolutely wonderful! I love eastern oriented scores! One of last year's best for me!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  11. NP: Moby Dick (Christopher Gordon)

Checking out one of Gordon's earliest, and man does it have all his signatures smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Moby Dick (Christopher Gordon)

Checking out one of Gordon's earliest, and man does it have all his signatures smile

Absolutely superb score! beer

NP : HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - Alexandre Desplat

I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^^ Agree
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ^

It's most definitely NOT Dances With Wolves 2.

-Erik-

Well you can not ignore the fact they sound at least somewhat similar. However Scarlet Letter is much more romantic than the adventurous DWW, though both have incredibly beautiful love themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Gulliver's Travels - Henry Jackman

First listen... shocked

Lots and lots of fun in a Harry Gregson-Williams/Sinbad way! I'm five tracks in and if this holds up then I might need to tweak a little list I'm working on for my next radio show. Looking over my list now it looks like things are going to stay the same but this is really a solid effort and has a lot more personality and more substance than a lot of RC scores written these days!

-Erik-
  13. Worst Top 10 of 2010? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn