• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Gulliver's Travels - Henry Jackman

First listen... shocked

Lots and lots of fun in a Harry Gregson-Williams/Sinbad way! I'm five tracks in and if this holds up then I might need to tweak a little list I'm working on for my next radio show. Looking over my list now it looks like things are going to stay the same but this is really a solid effort and has a lot more personality and more substance than a lot of RC scores written these days!

-Erik-

Wait 'till you get to the later part of the album. It'll blow you away. Nothing RC-related smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Cristian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - i am legend

Exquisite scoring from one of the most worthwile film composers of our times.

I agree, I Am Legend has all the great things from JNH: his strings writing, his beautiful piano, grandiose choir, a great theme.

Too bad that most of the music has been cut out of the movie. I'm dying to watch the movie with the music restored, especially the impressive The Pier
  2. WORLD OF WARCRAFT: CATACLYSM - 5 DUDES

Worth it for tracks 1 & 2 which do impress (a full 14 minutes still), after that the 'music' is all over the place without any sort of structure. This is a common thing with score releases of Blizzard-games. They wow you with an overture, than it all goes downhill with boring repetitive ambience that frankly I could compose as well. Though Starcraft II had more good moments than the opening track.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ^

Now The Scarlett Letter is a much more varied and gorgeous score than Wah Wah is, for me. And I completely love the choral rendition of Barber's Adagio for Strings.

The Scarlet Letter = Dances with Wolves 2.0 (Not that that's a BAD thing).

It's not as great as DWW but it's still a very very fine score.

Maybe less repetitive than DWW (even with less themes).

I think it's seriously repetitive. I could never tire of listening to Dances but do have a hard time getting through all of Scarlet, good though it is.

Special note: I suspect that The Scarlet Letter is the most frequently mis-spelled film title on film music forums!
  3. Southall wrote

Special note: I suspect that The Scarlet Letter is the most frequently mis-spelled film title on film music forums!

Are you surprised by that?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

and she's single once again tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011 edited
    Dave - James Newton Howard

Fluffy comedy score if a bit lightweight.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

and she's single once again tongue

You're in there mate! biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

My favourite score in ages.
  5. NP: Death Eaters - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

I love how Desplat uses Voldemort-Death Eaters's theme in the muted trompets. Also thoses descending notes with the strings and chorus perfectly represents the Death Eaters. I hope that Desplat uses this theme in Part 2 [spoiler]during that added scene with Voldemort starting the Battle of Hogwarts with a series of explotions in the castle[/spoiler]
  6. Southall wrote

My favourite score in ages.

Compared to The New World?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He likes it even more that that!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    He likes it... he really likes it!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. He likes it... like a fat kid likes chocolate!
    The Man Who Knew Too Little - Christopher Young

First listen...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    He likes it... like a fat kid likes chocolate!

I like it even more than that!
  8. NP: Levees - A Tale of God's Will (Terence Blanchard)

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    ^

Gorgeous stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    He likes it... like a fat kid likes chocolate!

I like it even more than that!

He does, he likes it even much more than that!
  9. NP: Snape & The Unbreakable Vow - Nicholas Hooper (Half-Blood Prince)

This is one of my favorite cues of the score (which is a little bit underrated, IMHO). Very dark and subtle. The last half of the cue with the strings and celesta is very dark, but still magical
    The Dig - Michael Land

One of the best video game scores ever. I really wish that someone would record this with a real orchestra, it would sound even better.
  10. KevinSmith wrote
    The Man Who Knew Too Little - Christopher Young

First listen...

What did you think? I love the film, and the music works really well in it, but I can't imagine it being terribly great on its own. In the film his credit comes up as "Chris Young" if I remember correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree, I Am Legend has all the great things from JNH: his strings writing, his beautiful piano, grandiose choir, a great theme.

Too bad that most of the music has been cut out of the movie. I'm dying to watch the movie with the music restored, especially the impressive The Pier

If anyone made me sit through that snoozefest again i'd die of course wink The score however, is phenomenally good.
  11. KevinSmith wrote
    The Dig - Michael Land

One of the best video game scores ever. I really wish that someone would record this with a real orchestra, it would sound even better.

I don't know, I've gotten used to the sound over the years. I like it as it is. But out of sheer curiosity, well yeah I'd welcome a real live recording.
  12. Christodoulides wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

If anyone made me sit through that snoozefest again i'd die of course wink The score however, is phenomenally good.

You sir are of course wrong in your assessment that this is a sleep-inducing film... Weren't you at least kept awake by Will Smith's performance? Oh, wait that's right, you don't like the guy... Sorry for that. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't have a problem with the guy, i won't be jizzing over him like others seem to, but i did enjoy some of his more subtle and serious performances like the pursuit of happyness and seven pounds. I found I AM LEGEND very uninteresting to me as a concept ; i didn't have a problem with Will smith in this one. But of course there's the stuff like ID4 or wild wild west (and many others) that make me want to kick the tv. But wait, why are you asking me the same stuff all over again? There's a function in our brains called "ignore" you know wink
  13. Well, I was on repeat that moment mate... I must've pushed the wrong button. I'll try to work on that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Final Fantasy : The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Simply wonderful , needs no further explanation ... cool
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: The Tourist - James Newton Howard

Some good moments here, enough for me to return to this score.