• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    Yeap, listened to it three times. Never again smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPECIES - Christopher Young

Superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Dig - Michael Land

One of the best video game scores ever. I really wish that someone would record this with a real orchestra, it would sound even better.

I disagree with that. What makes the score sound so good is the synthesizers.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Dig - Michael Land

One of the best video game scores ever. I really wish that someone would record this with a real orchestra, it would sound even better.

-Erik-

indeed, through the synthesizers the score gets that otherworldly effect, which is exactly what the sound needed
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Eric wrote
    NP : Final Fantasy : The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Simply wonderful , needs no further explanation ... cool

But I want to hear Elliot Goldenthal farting, for the sake of completeness!
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. What?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: Sierra Leone, 1839, and the Capture of Cinque - Amistad (John Williams)

Amazing! I love how Williams uses the male chorus and the percussion. Also, when the children choir sings Cinque's Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Daft Punk - Tron

I thought to give this score another chance but it leaves me cold. I don't understand the high praise for this score (some people gave it 5 stars, what???). I don't like the electronics at all, some cues like The Son Of Flynnare, End Of Line, Derezzed are simply unlistenable for me, it's like the sound of an MS-DOS game. Outlands and Finale are indeed great cues. I tried but this score is not for me, I don't think I will ever listen to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote

it's like the sound of an MS-DOS game.

Aaaah... see... you DO understand it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Southall wrote

My favourite score in ages.

Mine too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

-Erik-

But I DON'T like it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

-Erik-

biggrin
  6. Tron: Legacy

I just can't get enough of this, I can't count how many times I've played it this week. To me this is the greatest mix of electronics and orchestra ever concocted. The synth stuff is great, the orchestra even better and the join between them seamless!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011
    Star Trek V (expanded) - Jezza G

Star Trek V was the first soundtrack album I ever bought and there's a strong chance I've listened to it more times than any other, so this is going to take some serious getting used to. I thought the two Horner score albums were brilliant and didn't see how the expansions could improve on them, but they did; not sure with this one. I can already tell I'll be replacing the film recordings of cues with the more musical album ones (fortunately presented here too, making it very easy to do so) - especially "Without Help", Exhibit A the next time someone tells me all I need to do to turn an unlistenable long album into a listenable short one is to delete some cues (here Goldsmith turned a barely-listenable, stop-start piece into a piece of film music magic by deleting a bar or two here, a bar or two there, for the original album).
  7. Minority Report - John Williams

I really don't understand the tepid response that reviewers gave this score. I think this is one of his best works for one of Spielberg's best films. If it was intended to be a nod to Herrmann, then I think it works, more or less. As for highlights, obviously "Anderton's Great Escape" is boatloads of fun, but I also really like "Spyders" and the end credits theme "A New Beginning".
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Minority Report - John Williams

I really don't understand the tepid response that reviewers gave this score. I think this is one of his best works for one of Spielberg's best films. If it was intended to be a nod to Herrmann, then I think it works, more or less. As for highlights, obviously "Anderton's Great Escape" is boatloads of fun, but I also really like "Spyders" and the end credits theme "A New Beginning".

I agree. And yeah, it was intended a nod to Herrmann's music. A New Beginning is gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Minority Report - John Williams

Agree. The writing is phenomenal and it suits the movie perfectly, even elevates it. I think most Williams reviewers are disappointed that they won't be hearing the indiana jones sound ever again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought most reviewers liked it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't remember to be honest, but i do recall several people around complaining about his "switch of sound" getting darker and complex. Personally, i just love his a.i / minority report / war of the worlds sound, including Munich although i am not a fan of Lisbeth Scott (at least there she didn't sound RC-ish). His older sound is phenomenally good too but i find myself more frequently revisiting his post-2000 scores.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    I don't remember to be honest, but i do recall several people around complaining about his "switch of sound" getting darker and complex. Personally, i just love his a.i / minority report / war of the worlds sound, including Munich although i am not a fan of Lisbeth Scott (at least there she didn't sound RC-ish). His older sound is phenomenally good too but i find myself more frequently revisiting his post-2000 scores.

Me too. I always thought that if Williams we're back for Harry Potter, he could have made a War of the Worlds-esque score. Munich is wonderful
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I like Minority Report, but I don't think it's great.

"Everybody Runs" is by far the best cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Sagan - Armand Amar

Great! And yes I know it's a 2008 score wink
  10. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Dig - Michael Land

-Erik-

indeed, through the synthesizers the score gets that otherworldly effect, which is exactly what the sound needed

Yes, but just out of sheer curiosity, I'd hire an orchestra and more than decent orchestrator that can turn this into a magical symphonic journey. Don't tell me you guys wouldn't want to hear what that's like?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. Christodoulides wrote

Well you didn't grow up with Star Wars!!! Enough said ! smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW - OSCAR ARAUJO

Despite any sort of themes or development of the melodies, this is a loads of fun and insanely enjoyable videogame score. The action cues are the real highlights.
  13. NP: The Hole (Clint Mansell)

boring
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  14. Listen to Castlevania bro... it's not boring. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hocus Pocus - John Debney

A great early entry by Debney!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Listen to Castlevania bro... it's not boring. wink

I can only agree with that one. Kick ass score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011 edited
    NP: Black Swan - Clint Mansell

I'm just getting around to spinning this one and so far it's one of the finest film music albums I've heard this year. Great flow. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Tchaikovsky's original classical work to know exactly where Mansell's music ends and Tchaikovsky's begins (I think without knowing Tchaikovsky's work I can pick up where his music comes into play) but that doesn't hamper the listening experience. This is a great album that I can't recommend highly enough! I'm hoping to see the film in the next day or two!

-Erik-