• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Special Relationship (Alexandre Desplat)

Decent album, but nothing more. Once again a sign that Desplat isn't really my cup of tea
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Black Swan - Clint Mansell

I'm just getting around to spinning this one and so far it's one of the finest film music albums I've heard this year. Great flow. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Tchaikovsky's original classical work to know exactly where Mansell's music ends and Tchaikovsky's begins (I think without knowing Tchaikovsky's work I can pick up where his music comes into play) but that doesn't hamper the listening experience. This is a great album that I can't recommend highly enough! I'm hoping to see the film in the next day or two!

-Erik-

This sounds like a new must have for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Hocus Pocus - John Debney

A great early entry by Debney!

-Erik-

Is this a bit like The Witches of Eastwick or is my memory playing tricks on me? (It's been a long time since I heard it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A bit... yeah!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011 edited
    NP: Amália - Nuno Malo

This is my third listen and I still haven't found whatever it is that's making everyone go ga-ga over this score. It's pretty, haunting at times and melodic but nothing that gives me that "wow" feeling that I get with a Delerue, Rombi or Talgorn score. It's not bad music... and I don't want people to think that... but even at a 40 minute playing time I find that the score drags.

EDIT - The last two cues are superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. INDOCHINE - PATRICK DOYLE

First listen. It does have a nice main theme, and some good moments. Ah well, I definitely like early 90s Doyle.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    INDOCHINE - PATRICK DOYLE

First listen. It does have a nice main theme, and some good moments. Ah well, I definitely like early 90s Doyle.

some nice choral moments too

NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 --- Alexandre Desplat

More interesting than Hooper's music, but I can't enjoy this, especially if I know what Williams and Doyle wrote for these movies. But then again, the movies turned to shit either way after the fourth, so I think that says something too

Decent and occasionally good but I'm just not a Desplat fan shame
  4. Erik Woods wrote

I'm just getting around to spinning this one and so far it's one of the finest film music albums I've heard this year. Great flow. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Tchaikovsky's original classical work to know exactly where Mansell's music ends and Tchaikovsky's begins (I think without knowing Tchaikovsky's work I can pick up where his music comes into play) but that doesn't hamper the listening experience. This is a great album that I can't recommend highly enough! I'm hoping to see the film in the next day or two!

-Erik-

Best movie of 2010. Marvelous use of Tchaikovsky with the score.
  5. I've been playing Gods and Generals after having just purchased it. I held off for a long time on this album despite all the praise. I'm glad to finally have it. It's just excellent. Track after track is just beautiful, melodic, and noble. Great great stuff.

The only real problem I have with it is track 14, "No Photographs," which sounds like Edelman imported it straight out of one his 90s romantic comedies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Tchaikovsky's excellent work is everywhere, maybe a bit more than i'd wanted; but still a fine album, let us know the the movie is and how it works in it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - the king's speech

Wonderful.
  6. GOLDFINGER - JOHN BARRY

Third or so listen, now on CD. I find that when programming the tracks in the film order it becomes a much better listening experience, where the softer (less interesting) cues are put in front of the playlist and the kick-ass vintage Barry action music at the end. The song is of course timeless, but the instrumental version is just as great. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Tchaikovsky's excellent work is everywhere, maybe a bit more than i'd wanted; but still a fine album, let us know the the movie is and how it works in it!

The movie is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, one of the best films I've watched recently (and not so recently). It's a dark, dramatic and, at some points, horror film (you'll get it when you watch it). No need to say Natalie Portman's performance is perfect. She can begin thinking what to say at the Oscars ceremony. The score works perfectly in the movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    GOLDFINGER - JOHN BARRY

Third or so listen, now on CD. I find that when programming the tracks in the film order it becomes a much better listening experience, where the softer (less interesting) cues are put in front of the playlist and the kick-ass vintage Barry action music at the end. The song is of course timeless, but the instrumental version is just as great. cool

If you mean the instrumental with the guitar, that was a "pop" arrangement and doesn't appear in the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Christodoulides wrote

Wonderful.

decent, I give it 3 stars, like Tom gave it
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Wonderful.

Not my cup of tea this. I didn't part with my cash.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Wonderful.

Not my cup of tea this. I didn't part with my cash.

so what do you do then with your CD? Sell it again?
  10. I didn't have it on CD or as a download. I listened to the clips and moved on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't have it on CD or as a download. I listened to the clips and moved on.

wise choice smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011 edited
    NP : MIDNIGHT COWBOY - John Barry

Taking away the pop tracks all you are left with is five tracks totalling 15 minutes of John Barry's score but oh man what a fantastic 15 minutes they are

Joe Buck Rides Again - slowly builds into a boisterous rousing triumphant piece that wouldn't be out of place in a western ( you'd have to see the film to get the irony of the scene the music accompanies wink )

Fun City - Cocktail lounge piece that's silky smooth and would fit perfect in a Bond film.

Midnight Cowboy - is there anyone who doesn't know or hasn't heard this classic theme? Utterly sublime.

Florida Fantasy - A real Barry oddity, very wacky, goofy even, this was used in various British TV programs, some Brits would remember it as the theme to The Really Wild Show. It's one of those tracks that never fails to make me smile and feel good.

Science Fiction - Eerie, mysterious track accompanies scenes from a sci-fi film being shown in a cinema.......I can't bring myself to say what else goes on in this scene shocked

I can take or leave most of the psychedelic pop songs on the remainder of the album except for Nilsson singing the classic 'Everybody's Talkin', an evergreen to this day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Legends of the Fall - James Horner

Music can't get better than this. It's like Everest of music.
  12. Timmer wrote

Taking away the pop tracks all you are left with is five tracks totalling 15 minutes of John Barry's score but oh man what a fantastic 15 minutes they are

Joe Buck Rides Again - slowly builds into a boisterous rousing triumphant piece that wouldn't be out of place in a western ( you'd have to see the film to get the irony of the scene the music accompanies wink )

Fun City - Cocktail lounge piece that's silky smooth and would fit perfect in a Bond film.

Midnight Cowboy - is there anyone who doesn't know or hasn't heard this classic theme? Utterly sublime.

Florida Fantasy - A real Barry oddity, very wacky, goofy even, this was used in various British TV programs, some Brits would remember it as the theme to The Really Wild Show. It's one of those tracks that never fails to make me smile and feel good.

Science Fiction - Eerie, mysterious track accompanies scenes from a sci-fi film being shown in a cinema.......I can't bring myself to say what else goes on in this scene shocked

I can take or leave most of the psychedelic pop songs on the remainder of the album except for Nilsson singing the classic 'Everybody's Talkin', an evergreen to this day.

Now this post deserves a quote, if only because it makes me really interested in the music, as I've never heard it. And because you're the expert on everything Barry. Will do a search for it later. smile
  13. Cristian wrote
    NP: Legends of the Fall - James Horner

Music can't get better than this. It's like Everest of music.

Well it can get better, for me... a year later he would write my all-time favourite score.

But Legends is indeed a mountain that many composers today would have trouble of climbing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Now this post deserves a quote, if only because it makes me really interested in the music, as I've never heard it. And because you're the expert on everything Barry. Will do a search for it later. smile

It's VERY WELL WORTH GETTING! And as far as I know it's never been out of print, you should be able to find a copy very cheaply.

p.s. thanks for calling me "the expert on everything Barry", I'm a minnow at FSM but can be the big fish in the small pond here wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    DreamTheater wrote
    But Legends is indeed a mountain that many composers today would have trouble of climbing.

Sadly today film composers are afraid of heights, they climb only small hills. Most of them anyway...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Sadly today film composers are afraid of heights, they climb only small hills. Most of them anyway...

That's mostly because a lot of todays composers don't have and never will have crampons and ice-axes, just a comfortable pair of walking boots!

And the very few good ones have their oxygen cylinders cut off and are only allowed to operate at 50% oxygen.
  14. yeah biggrin

Timmer wrote

p.s. thanks for calling me "the expert on everything Barry", I'm a minnow at FSM but can be the big fish in the small pond here wink

no problem mate beer

Who needs FSM anyway when we have MT?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jade - James Horner

Surprisingly good! Quite why it has such a poor reputation I don't know (maybe because it's not Apollo 13 or Braveheart) but I much prefer it to any of his other mainly-synth scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't have it on CD or as a download. I listened to the clips and moved on.

wise choice smile

Can't really judge scores via soundclips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The movie is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, one of the best films I've watched recently (and not so recently). It's a dark, dramatic and, at some points, horror film (you'll get it when you watch it). No need to say Natalie Portman's performance is perfect. She can begin thinking what to say at the Oscars ceremony. The score works perfectly in the movie.

Damn you're making me anxious!