• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

Now this, this is how a choral score is done! One of the great classics of film music and a huge favourite among fans of the genre and to think it was written for such a mediochre and weak third part of a trilogy.

A bit back to front but I'm playing this...

NP : THE OMEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant! I'll probably play Damien Omen II next but I'm wishing I'd played them all in order now.

NP : DAMIEN OMEN II - Jerry Goldsmith

For a change I thought I'd play the original film tracks. I prefer the original album rerecorded tracks but it's good to give the film tracks a work out and it's hardly a chore with such excellent music. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010
    Absolutely magnificent, milestone scores. beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Absolutely magnificent, milestone scores. beer

I'm enjoying every single miniscule second of them. cool

...or are you still talkin' bout LOST? uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, what you wrote above, Goldsmith smile

(and Lost)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Milk, Danny Elfman

vomit I hate when Elfman does this. Why does he accept assignments that are clearly meant for others?

In my opinion, Marc Shaiman should have gotten the gig. I think he could have done a good score and done the film justice.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Ultraviolet - Klaus Badelt

Listening for the first time to the complete soundtrack ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why?

No, seriously?
    WHY?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. It's the ultraviolet rays -- they've affected his mind.

Or they blinded him just long enough to accidently pick up, and put in that, when he clearly meant a Goldsmith score, but after it was spinning, decided to let it play (and let his eyes heal).

moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Now this, this is how a choral score is done! One of the great classics of film music and a huge favourite among fans of the genre and to think it was written for such a mediochre and weak third part of a trilogy.

A bit back to front but I'm playing this...

NP : THE OMEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant! I'll probably play Damien Omen II next but I'm wishing I'd played them all in order now.

NP : DAMIEN OMEN II - Jerry Goldsmith

For a change I thought I'd play the original film tracks. I prefer the original album rerecorded tracks but it's good to give the film tracks a work out and it's hardly a chore with such excellent music. cool

I couldn't help myself, I just had to go full circle...

cool

I must admit that The Final Conflict is the only one of the three scores that I can replay in such a short space of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    biggrin

Nope , I'm quite sane !
    I think it has some good action themes and I'm also a Milla Jovovich nut !
    There you have it - my confession ! tongue
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. What, no "Omen IV: The Awakening"? ;-)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    What, no "Omen IV: The Awakening"? ;-)

freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    justin boggan wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Milk, Danny Elfman

vomit I hate when Elfman does this. Why does he accept assignments that are clearly meant for others?

In my opinion, Marc Shaiman should have gotten the gig. I think he could have done a good score and done the film justice.

Exactly! Some people who are ideal for certain jobs don't seem to get work anymore. I also think Horner would've elevated to great heights.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    HeeroJF wrote
    Ahah! And I just picked up again the "Amistad"-like theme at the very end of "Oceanic 815". Great stuff! Whiew, some scores just naturally grow on you and it's a pure pleasure discovering them. But if I *do* end up liking Lost, I swear I'll never have struggled so much with any other score. It's been like wrestling in tumbtacks.

It's been a great struggle for me as well. Have had to listen to the tracks a billion times before any of them started to get to me. And even then, I'm not really blown away by anything.

Perhaps I'll try watching the series. Normally I don't have to watch a film or show for the music to make sense, but perhaps Lost is an exception.

Now playing: Until september (John Barry)

Several themes and they're all wonderful. I wonder why this score is so rarely mentioned, even when people are listing their favourite Barry scores. I love every single second on this album.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    plindboe wrote

Several themes and they're all wonderful. I wonder why this score is so rarely mentioned, even when people are listing their favourite Barry scores. I love every single second on this album.

Peter love

Another one people don't often mention is Frances. Both are among my very top favourites of his. More beautiful than his more famous ones.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote

freezing

I know of this but have never heard it. But the cover (and reputation) makes me want to stay away from it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote

freezing

I know of this but have never heard it. But the cover (and reputation) makes me want to stay away from it!

'tis silly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Baaria from Morricone. I'm preparing for a review. Been awhile since Ennio has come out with something new.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    Looking forward to it.

A ****½ score in my opinion.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter love

Another one people don't often mention is Frances. Both are among my very top favourites of his. More beautiful than his more famous ones.

I absolutely adore UNTIL SEPTEMBER, a beautiful score that gets far more plays from me than the celebrated Somewhere In Time, Frances is lovely too but not as varied as 'September'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry

Sublime score, Barry truly knows how and when to use choir.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

Indeed, one of my favourite Barries.

I'm currently playing You only live twice

First time I'm playing the entire album. It's a great listen. I wouldn't quite call it the masterpiece people often say it is, but it's close.

I rate it: ****½

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

I'm sure you've probably stated your preference before Tim but I'm just wondering if you prefer the original or re-recorded version of this score? I think I know the answer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm sure you've probably stated your preference before Tim but I'm just wondering if you prefer the original or re-recorded version of this score? I think I know the answer.

A toughie. Barry's original IS better but the re-recorded Silva release has extra material so it's that one I tend to play more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Aha! I thought you'd say that.

Either way it's a damn fine score indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Gormenghast - Richard Rodney Bennett

Sumptuous!!! cool

In a Williamsesque kinda way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DEEP - John Barry

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STARCRASH - John Barry

Just darn good fun! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Lost Season 2, Michael Giacchino

My quest continue. I DARESAY, I've had another jaw-dropping moment. The track "Hurley's Handouts" has just won my heart. WOW! I don't know how "recurring" that theme is on the CD but that is a THEME!! So touching and intimate.

And now I've just heard that "Amistad" theme in "Just Another Day on the Beach". The mesh of themes is actually forming up! After all this time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010 edited
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

Excellent score. Great use of a good motif, especially at the end, with the massive development of the motif into a sort of grand thematic resolution. As an audience member, having it all built up to that moment, and hearing the music being that final touch, that really made the movie for me.