• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010 edited
    ILAN ESHKERI - strength and honour

Heartfelt and solemn, very good actually. String driven with subtle, scarce female vocals. The thin red line is an obvious influence, here as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010
    The Social Network (Five Track Sampler) - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

I fully understand if this isn't everybody's cup of tea but I like it. Being a fan of Nine Inch Nails certainly helps. It reminds me a bit of their "Ghosts" album. I hope we get to see more scores from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (I liked his score for "The Book of Eli" btw).

And it feels good to take a break from all the full orchestral scores and the not so fully orchestral RC scores once in a while. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. THE BOOK OF ELI is a pretty good score btw, it works wonders in the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

Probably not everyones cuppa but I love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Arrived home to Bristol last night for first time in a while to find The Deep, Back to the Future, Spacecamp, Species, Predators and Lost: The Final Season so that's what I've been listening to today. I'm absolutely loving each and every one, they're all terrific! Species is a nice surprise as it was a blind buy (which I don't usually do).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey John C wave Love your profile pic cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Hi Tim, it was your recommendation which pushed me to get Species, Thanks! Hope you're well!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm fine thanks.

Species is great, glad to be of service beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

Great score. Love the choral stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Howard Shore

Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Deep - John Barry

My first spin of the new Intrada release ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE TOWN - Harry gregson williams and David Buckley

I hear no Buckley in here, just standard typical Harry Gregson Williams-isms for Tony Scott-kind of scoring with a touch of a bit more sentimentalism, like in his "Gone Baby Gone" score. Those familiar will like it, for the rest is instantly forgettable.

How do you know whether Buckley is in there or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't say he wasn't. The score is 100% unmistakable HGW though so either they didn't let him do anything outer-HGW, or he imitated him or well, he doesn't really have a voice yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    CARTER BURWELL - the blind side

Silly at places, a bit messy changing from the usual Burwell instrumentation to loud electric guitars and back, but still thematic. Thing is that the main theme gets repeated constantly to the point it gets annoying. Feels tired and bored with this one, but i wouldn't be surprised as the movie it accompanies is not very special either.

In intense contrast to:

CARTER BURWELL - fur

One of his most delicate and heartfelt works, the main theme's a bliss and the whole score is a pleasure to listen to from note 1 to end. Very recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ROLFE KENT - charlie st.cloud

A standard romantic, light comedy score with comedy prevailing during its first half and then turning a bit more orchestral and slightly dramatic, especially during the uplifting finale. A suite made of 5-6 specific cues would suffice otherwise it's pretty generic and tiring for a duration of 1 hour on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010 edited
    LUIS BACALOV - Ilona Arriva Con La Pioggia (1996)

A mixture of dramatic string-driven and romantic, with the latter prevailing. From gorgeous violin to piano soli and even saxophone which is a very prominent element in this score, and of course strong thematic structure which gets often repeated, this elegantly shifts from sweet melancholy ("Ilona Arriva Con La Pioggia (Variazione I)" to charm ("Adios Malecon") as naturally as few composers know how. Elements from Morricone and Kilar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Knight and Day - John Powell
    This is actually becoming one of my favorite scores of the year.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Silly at places, a bit messy changing from the usual Burwell instrumentation to loud electric guitars and back, but still thematic. Thing is that the main theme gets repeated constantly to the point it gets annoying. Feels tired and bored with this one, but i wouldn't be surprised as the movie it accompanies is not very special either.

The movie is pretty good actually. Sandra Bullock's performance is excellent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. She did a great job with the movie. It was inspirational yet non-hokey. One of the more enjoyable movie from last year, I feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010 edited
    NP: Street Fighter II vol 1 & 2 - Tetsuya Komuro & Yuji Toriyama

Completely awesome early 90s electronic anime score, replete with electric guitars and heavy powerchords. It typifies some of the best (and sometime worse) aspect of this type of scoring. At time superfluous, overly dramatic, yet sublime in how easy it let you revel in all of it. And the AIR GUITAR SOLI!!!!!
    The American version has some interesting propulsive scoring stuff by Baywatch composers (!) Cory Lerios and John D'Andrea. Sadly unreleased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Where Eagles Dare - Ron Goodwin

Excellent film with an equally terrific soundtrack !
    One of my all time favourites ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    NP : Where Eagles Dare - Ron Goodwin

Excellent film with an equally terrific soundtrack !
    One of my all time favourites ...

Film themes don't get more muscular than this. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I was listen to some Prokofiev earlier... the Enfant Terrible 2CD compilation released by Decca Records. Lots of good stuff to be found but the opera tracks where incredibly annoying. The orchestral music written for those tracks was excellent but I CAN'T stand opera!

Moving on to...

NP: The Fountainhead - Max Steiner

Superb Steiner score and the production values of the release - album art, notes and sound - are all impressive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

you bet ya, Sandra Bullock's performance is magnificent punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Timeline Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Whataver floats your boats i guess wink
  5. Species Christopher Young

Enjoying this more with every listen. Love the strings and piano at the beginning of track 8.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Whataver floats your boats i guess wink

Why don't you SEE the film and then come back to us with your judgment.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010 edited
    I've seen parts and the trailer and it doesn't interest me at all, i've also read the reviews and it's definitely not for me. And it has Bullock, i can't stand her. There are definitely better ways for me to spend 2 hours. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not a fan of Bullock either and was hesitant about seeing the film as well... but I recommend you check it out. I think you'll be presently surprised.

-Erik-