• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010
    Legend of the Hoot Owls - David Hirschfelder

Sounds quite good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I think there are many highlights in this score. Moments that really shine!
    I'm not totally won over as some have voiced on other forums ( one even said "forget Airbender, this is the real thing") but I do think it's a nice, rich fantasy score with a good theme, even if it is a close cousin to William's Amazing Stories theme. Just a few too many lulls within the score. And a nasty edit at the end of one track!
    If the highlights were edited into a 15 minute " Legend suite" it would be great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Call of duty modern warfare 2: pure shit.

Huh? You keep posting Youtube videos on Facebook labeling them "Badass music" etc. confused

applause

This is why I said " I think this is the only Zimmer track in the whole game". It's the only decent piece of music.

NP: Flesh and Blood (Pole)

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARC STREITENFIELD - Robin Hood

Epic.......fail.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. John Williams - Presumed Innocent

An interesting dark dramatic thriller score for a good Alan Pakula movie. Doesn't get much love here, I believe (except a 5 star review from Clemmensen) it's quite underrated. Restrained work for piano, strings, French horn and electronics. Intelligent, emotional, dramatic, very good theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010 edited
    NATHAN BARR - true blood

Quite an interesting, off-beat atmospheric and melancholic musical world he's created for the show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Pilars of the earth (Morris).

A score too much based on the solists and not enough on the themes or the orchestra.

It's not thematically enough to sustain a 80 minutes listen.

EPIC FAIL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It has some very good moments. LoDuca's Spartacus is what's unbearable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

unbearable is good or bad?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very bad wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's like having your head bitten off by a crocodile, you hope it'll never happen again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's like having your head bitten off by a crocodile, you hope it'll never happen again.

Ain't surgery grand?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Sounds quite good!

Why you didn't review Inception?

Are you scare to rate a Zimmer score with 5 stars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Why you didn't review Inception?

Are you scare to rate a Zimmer score with 5 stars?

You're one of a kind, man! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Sounds quite good!

Did you make it all the way through the album? wink
  2. Doing some "Second Chance" (and some "Third Chance") listens while I await for my FSM purchase to come in (ST:TNG and "CHiPs" V3):

"The Tuskegee Airmen" (Lee Holdridge)
    Not a bad score, but just not my cup-of-tea really -- so far (not completed it yet). I think the praise for this is very overrated. The theme is quite nice (not striking like "In Search of Peace" is main theme, but still...) but I just dont' feel it was used to it's full potential, and the counterpoints to it thus far have been far too simplistic and not driving or catchy enough to give this theme the proper punch it needs.
    Some beautiful string writing early on (so far), though. No musician credits in the promotional CD inlay.

"The 13th Warrior" (Goldsmith)
    Another widely overpriased score. I'm not sure if he just wasn't inspired by the film or if he had too short a time after replacing Revell's (superior) score, but it just lacks what you'd expect him to have come up with with decent time. It does seem, however, he spend some effort with orchestrations here and there, creating some nice & interesting pairings and sounds.
    His theme uses Revell's opening four notes -- I almost wonder if on purpose. I noted this once, and that on another film where he took over, "Total Recall" from Basil, the opening cue there lifts for a number of seconds, from a famous score by Poledouris. I wonder if maybe Jerry pays homage to the people he replaces. I guess I'll have to re-check Newman's "Air Force One".
    Anyway, noting all the good bits and what cues, and sometime in the future I will make a suite or two so the rest of the score can be avoided.
    The heritic speaketh: Jerry's use of chorus (this particular style) has to me always been poor (none of those bits will be featured in the suite(s).

For the life of me I cannot find my boot of "Uncommon Valor" to give the score a proper listen since the Intrada clips leave me unable to make a proper decision.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    justin boggan wrote
    Revell's (superior) score,.

Are you drunk?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Are you drunk?

I think there's quite a number of film music fans who favour Revell's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Are you drunk?

I think there's quite a number of film music fans who favour Revell's score.

they are drunks too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I honestly couldn't say, I haven't heard revell's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    I honestly couldn't say, I haven't heard revell's score.

I did. it's an average middle eastern sounding score with lisa gerrard cliche moments on it.

It's better than you can expect from Revell, but It's far from Goldsmith majestosity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's pretty good; it's no better than the grand main theme of Goldsmith, but it's quite good; very different animal though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Williams - Presumed Innocent

An interesting dark dramatic thriller score for a good Alan Pakula movie. Doesn't get much love here, I believe (except a 5 star review from Clemmensen) it's quite underrated. Restrained work for piano, strings, French horn and electronics. Intelligent, emotional, dramatic, very good theme.

Always been one of my favourite Williams themes and scores. Very atmospheric, with a unique theme.

Great movie as well, which doesn't hurt.

Peter smile
  3. Southall wrote

Sounds quite good!

Would you say you ... give a hoot?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    NATHAN BARR - true blood

Quite an interesting, off-beat atmospheric and melancholic musical world he's created for the show.

Yeah, it's cool but it doesn't quite have the orchestral push that I think a show about vampires (among other creatures) should have...
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    Always by N. Sato - Love the main theme and really enjoyed the rest of the score as well. Just lovely.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Katiek wrote
    Always by Naoki Sato - Loved the main theme and really enjoyed the rest of the score as well. No dragging, middle parts to the cd. Just lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Katiek wrote
    Always by N. Sato - Love the main theme and really enjoyed the rest of the score as well. Just lovely.

Agreed. This is a very enjoyable score.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Katiek wrote

i really like his music. i haven't heard ALWAYS yet, but his scores from SWORD OF THE STRANGER, GINIRO NO SEASON, RYOMADEN or the CODE BLUE MAIN THEME are amazing. Perhaps no orchestral masterpieces, but all of them are fun to listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    NATHAN BARR - true blood

Yeah, it's cool but it doesn't quite have the orchestral push that I think a show about vampires (among other creatures) should have...

I don't think the show has anything that demands orchestral power in it; it's quirky, it's black and dark, and it's got rednecks.