• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    BTW, in the case of Depe Blue Sea vs CoD. I probably enjoy the Deep Blue Sea more, maybe cause I heard it first, I'm not sure, but with Greatest Game and Legends, the Greatest Game theme is just so much more appealing to me, the "altered notes" make all the difference, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Isn't this whole 300 thing already beaten to death? rolleyes

Did that ever stop anyone here, Bob?

Whatsay we talk bout Lair some more?
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't even get me to create clips between LAIR and JOHN WILLIAMS stuff! spin dizzy wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wow! Less than 50 seconds!
    Hook, line and sinker!

Cheers, D.! biggrin punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    dude, Lair's been done, I got Erik to concede that Lair (a track he provided) was ripping off BRIAN TYLER'S TERROR TRACT, when he claimed it was a rip from the INCREDIBLES.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    tjguitar wrote
    dude, Lair's been done

No kidding.. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    dude, Lair's been done, I got Erik to concede that Lair (a track he provided) was ripping off BRIAN TYLER'S TERROR TRACT, when he claimed it was a rip from the INCREDIBLES.

Whoa! I said what? I agreed that all three themes were pretty much identical. I thought Incredibles and you thought Terror Tract.

-Erik-

PS - The Ludlows is far superior to Tyler's mess of the theme.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah come on, "mess of the theme"? How's that? It sounds perfectly fine to me, and it's rather beautiful. How is it a "mess" in any way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Ah, come on! Mess of a theme? How come it is that? It sounds very nice and quite beautiful to me, i can't understand you here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    BTW, in the case of Depe Blue Sea vs CoD. I probably enjoy the Deep Blue Sea more, maybe cause I heard it first, I'm not sure, but with Greatest Game and Legends, the Greatest Game theme is just so much more appealing to me, the "altered notes" make all the difference, in my opinion.

But what about the orchestrations... they are so, very, very, very similar. Even the same timings. Without Legends of the Fall Tyler would have NO THEME to speak of.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Because it's Tyler screwing up Horner's theme. It sound like the orchestra is playing the WRONG notes.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ How's that for an explanation rolleyes wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods wrote
    tjguitar wrote

But what about the orchestrations... they are so, very, very, very similar. Even the same timings. Without Legends of the Fall Tyler would have NO THEME to speak of.

-Erik-

Unfortunately, I'm not very educated in orchestrations. I'm not sure what you mean by timings? The rhythm doesn't sound identical to me. Why is it so impossible that he could have come up with it on his own?
  1. That was personal, Erik biggrin

Wouldn't call it a mess of a theme. But it isn't a particularly amazing variation either biggrin And the way it comes to Pearl Harbor later is rather peculiar.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    tjguitar wrote

-Erik-

Unfortunately, I'm not very educated in orchestrations. I'm not sure what you mean by timings? The rhythm doesn't sound identical to me. Why is it so impossible that he could have come up with it on his own?

Hum Horner's theme over Tylers...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On a side note: i can't believe people are actually using examples from Horner to argue over originality in film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Pretty self-explanatory if you ask me.

-Erik-
  2. Well quality of the composer is at hand here.

I mean, WHOSE rip we are discussing here? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Keyword is "self".

I bet we can ask 10 neutral listeners on their opinion on Tyler's theme and not even one will come up with the word "mess" as a description.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik, go in mmuk chat :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    On a side note: i can't believe people are actually using examples from Horner to argue over originality in film music biggrin tongue

So, where did Horner rip off The Ludlow's from? And I want examples DAMMIT!!! And this is NOT an argument about what Horner rips off or not... it's about Tyler.

-Erik-
  3. I would also disagree it's not a mess. Though people used to classic Horner themes may be rather pissed by this. And the Tyler theme somehow does end up to be inferior. Not Tyler's fault. Hard to write something as good as James Horner's IMHO best work (Braveheart loses this spot just because of the similar sound and being a year later).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Keyword is "self".

I bet we can ask 10 neutral listeners on their opinion on Tyler's theme and not even one will come up with the word "mess" as a description.

Because they haven't heard Horner's theme. Too me, it's friggin' mess or a goddamn TERRIBLE variation of Horner's theme. It's awful and shameless.

-Erik-

PS - This arguing is starting to really up my number of posts!!! YEAH!!! Now I see how you did it Demetris!!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik, can you think of a single composer who has not ripped off?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have no idea what the argument is about any more, but I haven't had so much fun since I last watched the World Wrestling Federation! biggrin

Sorry, I'll butt out and relegate myself to "amused spectator" modus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    Erik, can you think of a single composer who has not ripped off?

I already addressed this earlier. I'm not going to repeat myself. Go back a page and find it.

-Erik-
  4. Yes. That was my case to, Erik.

Perhaps the only good Brian Tyler does to me tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Another one...

The Madwoman Of Chaillot - "End Title" (Michael J. Lewis)
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/clip42.mp3

Return of the Jedi - "Luke and Leia" (John Williams)
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/clip43.mp3

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    I'm hearing Mark Mancina's Speed in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" from David Arnold's Godzilla.

You hear this too, Erik?
  5. tjguitar wrote
    Although, the Jurassic Park- Henry V one is pretty damn close. Yet nobody cares if the almighty JW does a little quote.

Well, one might say the good outweighs the bad in Williams case. He could probably steal Chopsticks and make it sound better. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am