• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    Some more (but unfortunatly without clips):

John Powell - Love theme from Paycheck ("Main Title") = Sean Callery - Jack & Audrey's love theme from 24 ("Jack's Women") (the opening 5 notes)

John Powell - Mumble's theme ("Birth Of Mumble") = John Powell - Minor theme from Forces Of Nature ("Perky String")

David Arnold - Filler music in both cases but "Eat The French" and "Taxi Chase" from Godzilla contain bits of music that were used in The World Is Not Enough ("Submarine").
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    James Horner wrote a great score for Casper. Years later John Debney wrote a not-so great score for Inspector Gadget. Debney mentioned in an interview that he really enjoyed writing the new theme for John Brown.

www.johnpowellcomposer.com/copyandpaste/casper.MP3

www.johnpowellcomposer.com/copyandpaste/gadget.MP3
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    James Horner wrote a great score for Casper. Years later John Debney wrote a not-so great score for Inspector Gadget. Debney mentioned in an interview that he really enjoyed writing the new theme for John Brown.

shocked
    It could be just coincidence.... tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Yeah, and Horner copied (well, referenced I think is a more appropriate term) Korngold.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

shocked
    It could be just coincidence.... tongue

Heh, I thought that, but the same notes, with the woodwinds coming in as well... spin
  1. Two Questions

1. Why does John Williams' ET reference the Rosebud theme from Herrmann's CITIZEN KANE score twice in 'Far From Home / E.T. Alone' ? It's been years since I've seen ET - is something happening on-screen that would call for an injoke, or is a temp track thing?

2. Why has no-one pointed out that the electric cello jig that starts the album of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN (first film) is actually from Williams' 'Dance of the Witches' from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    Samples?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    2. Why has no-one pointed out that the electric cello jig that starts the album of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN (first film) is actually from Williams' 'Dance of the Witches' from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK?

Hmm... No, I can see there is some resemblance, but I wouldn't say it's the same at all. The melody might start at the same point, but turns out to be completely different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    1. Why does John Williams' ET reference the Rosebud theme from Herrmann's CITIZEN KANE score twice in 'Far From Home / E.T. Alone' ? It's been years since I've seen ET - is something happening on-screen that would call for an injoke, or is a temp track thing?

Say what? I know the E.T. score intricately, but never noticed this. confused
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Actually, thinking about the ET thing, it's 4 out of 5 notes... so probably just a coincidence. I got the surprise of my life though listening to the album on the way to work this morning only to hear 'Rosebud' 29 seconds into 'Far from Home / E.T. Alone'. I'd upload a comparison, but I don't have a website or server space to put the clips on.

BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Hmm... No, I can see there is some resemblance, but I wouldn't say it's the same at all. The melody might start at the same point, but turns out to be completely different.

Right you are, I was typing this while having a conversation with someone this morning, and had I been fully attentive, I wouldn't have used the word 'actually'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I'll have to listen to E.T. again to check myself.

I've always been curious to hear those other accusations hurled against that score, though. Wasn't there some Les Baxter thing that sounded awfully familiar to some? Some kind of lawsuit even?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. There's a reference to a Schubert symphony (or is it Schumann!) as the start of the really long cue at the end. Not exactly Les Baxter though!
  4. lp wrote
    Samples?

Yes! Michael have you got any samples? Or at least track/time references?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I've given a track time reference for ET a few posts up for the 'Rosebud' reference. I assume you know where to find a statement of the 'Rosebud' theme by Herrmann! wink

For the Schubert symphony reference, check out an old FSM podcast called 'It Takes a Thief'. (But only if you're ready to farewell all respect for Horner!)
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    I've given a track time reference for ET a few posts up for the 'Rosebud' reference.

shame
    franz_conrad wrote
    I assume you know where to find a statement of the 'Rosebud' theme by Herrmann! wink

smile
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. But, I see what you mean, Michael!

Though it doesn't sound quite the same? That last note of the four-note motif, is it slightly "off" in E.T. compared to Citizen Kane?
  8. It's a five note motif, I think, but you're right, the fourth one doesn't quite match.

You can probably forgive me though, having spent the last couple of years delving into Herrmann, and coming back to this Williams classic, and suddenly noticing the similarity! wink
  9. http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy … ontage.mp3

Listen to this !

It's a montage of Pearl Harbor - Black Hawk Down - King Arthur - Transformers !

Guilty => HZ, Steve Jablonsky & Trevor Morris ! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
  10. http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy-Paste/KOH.mp3

This is from Kingdom of Heaven (HGW)...

And this...

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy-Paste/COD4.mp3

... is from Kingd.... hum... no ! Call of Duty 4 ! (Barton & HGW) !

biggrin biggrin
  11. For that one, I just can't forgive Geoff Zanelli... Secret Window was a good score as it was written by Zanelli in only 2 weeks... And Disturbia is a good teenage (rock) / horror score... But for the horror part, Zanelli only reused what he wrote few years before (maybe, as Zanelli wasn't credited as composer, he wanted to say, with Disturbia "yeah guys, I wrote this in SW !") =>

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy-Paste/SW1.mp3

=> Secret Window

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy-Paste/DIST1.mp3

=> Disturbia

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy-Paste/SW2.mp3

=> Secret Window Intro

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/Copy-Paste/DIST2.mp3

=> Disturbia Intro

crazy biggrin biggrin biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008
    How did I miss all this?! shocked

You sir are the man! punk

(Damn you RC! Damn you!!! biggrin )
  12. I'll show more of these MV/RC copy/paste things later... punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008
    Hmm...this isn't note for note, but it's pretty darn similar.

Jurassic Park 3 (Davis)

Cloverfield (Giacchino)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008 edited
    Though not a definite copy and paste, I have always found these two to be very similar:

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Klaus Badelt)
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Though not a definite copy and paste, I have always found these two to be very similar:

Always? Didn't Prince Caspian come out very recently???

mc tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    moviescore wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Always? Didn't Prince Caspian come out very recently???

mc tongue

Ugh, so technical. tongue Yes, it did. smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Listen to Breakout from James Newton Howard's Dinosaur.

I'm really mad because I can't remember what it was so similar to. Something, somewhere, by another composer sounded identical to parts of it. I just... can't.... remember....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008
    Panthera wrote

I'm really mad because I can't remember what it was so similar to. Something, somewhere, by another composer sounded identical to parts of it. I just... can't.... remember....

Zimmer's Lion King
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote

Zimmer's Lion King

Um, not really? 'Breakout' is a very JNH sounding piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Breakout from Dinosaur sounds very much like an original JNH cue to me (as far as I know tongue ) though The Courtship has chants very similar to those in The Lion King. Compare those towards the end of King of Pride Rock with it. It's not exactly a copy-paste but it's very similar. wink