• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    I was pondering this morning the fate of some of my collection. I'm moving as some of you know from Minneapolis back to San Diego. To move my CD collection is going to cost nearly $700.00 and my new place while a one bedroom is going to be smaller, meaning these CD's in bookcases are going to take up a lot of wall space. To add to the situation my sister has told me that I need to start thinking about what I've got stored in her garage. There are 2,000 lp's, 4000 cassettes, reel to reel material, 45's, and a couple of hundred 78's. There are two sound systems, one mono and one stereo. Putting this in storage would cost approximately $1000 a year. Trying to put all of this in a one bedroom place wouldn't allow me to move much at all in the place. And most of it is important. As an example I have the original Jungle Book from Rozsa on 78's. The cassettes include a complete library of Mercury Living Presence Recordings that I copied from the library at one point.

I have tried a couple of times to sell some of the material on ebay but couldn't handle the people. They wanted it for nothing needed a blow by blow description of the condition of the 78 as an example and the one guy I'm ashamed to say after four email exchanges I told him to go fuck himself which brought a threat of bodily harm.

I'm thinking about it.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, it looks like you need to take inventory of what you really want to keep (stuff you know you will listen to again) and of the stuff that you don't mind parting with. If you are looking to sell I'd be interested in purchasing! I'd give these CD's, LP's and whatnot a very good home where they will be loved for years to come.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik's suggestion to decide what you really want to keep is a great place to start as it's clear that you cannot keep anything.

Selling stuff has the obvious advantage that you make some money but I've always seen the documenting the details wherever you sell them along with the sorting out of the items for packaging and sending to be almost a full-time job.

Have you considered donating items to local schools or libraries? Maybe the rarer things could be given to the Film Music Preservation people?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was just writing my thoughts down and trying to get some positive feedback which I have so far. I will look into San Diego State, John Morgan is an alumnus, as well as John Carpenter. And I'm not forgetting about Erik either.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021 edited
    11 years later, and from what I understand, Tom is now in a home, struggling with Parkinson's. He's stopped posting here, but I see he occasionally (very rarely) posts on Facebook. It would be great to receive an update from him. On his situation, first and foremost, but also about his thoughts on his collection these days. Did he take it with him? Did he donate it?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I think Erik said on a Zoom meet that, when he went to a home his family got rid of all his music. Without his permission.

That is such a horrible thing to have happen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021
    Ouch. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think Erik said on a Zoom meet that, when he went to a home his family got rid of all his music. Without his permission.

That is such a horrible thing to have happen.

Oh no. What an awful situation all around. sad