• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010 edited
    With all the hype about Spartacus and One Eyed Jacks going on and how they are the BEST scores ever , to be quite honest I would rather listen to the new Tadlow Lawrence of Arabia or even Michael Giacchino's Star Trek.

I felt it was safer to discuss this here than a certain other board ................ fsm wink
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    Well, SPARTACUS, IMO, IS one of the great scores though there's no way I could fork out all that dough on this luxurious release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think Spartacus is an incredible score showcasing Alex North at the height of his creativity. One Eyed Jacks on the other hand bored me to tears. I don't think it comes anywhere near Friedhofer's masterpiece; The Best Years of Our Lives.

Tadlow's Lawrence of Arabia is spectacular and I'm finding myself enjoying Star Trek much more with each listen however I prefer the truncated original release over the not so "deluxe edition."

As for personal favorites... I'm find myself returning to my "My Favorites" playlists more often than I have in the past month or so. It's a playlist with close to 480 cues that I will never tire of or skip. It's great to go from something like "Harriet's Theme" from Old Gringo by Lee Holdridge to Herrmann's Salammbo's Aria recorded by Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic. I'm really getting tired of the lackluster NEW scores that are being produced. Sure there are a handful of solid ones still being written but not as many as there used to be.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SPARTACUS is a fine score, no doubt about it, but vastly overrated in certain film music fora.

I don't play the CD very often, though (I have the ol' MCA release with some extra tracks), because it's really quite rough music, lots of frenetic percussion and screaming brass. Not really my cup of tea these days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think both Spartacus and Lawrence are contenders to be at position #1 on my list of favourite scores.

Haven't really listened to One Eyed Jacks properly yet. Star Trek would be in my top 1000.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010
    Southall wrote
    I think both Spartacus and Lawrence are contenders to be at position #1 on my list of favourite scores.

Haven't really listened to One Eyed Jacks properly yet. Star Trek would be in my top 1000.

Spartacus the greatest score of all time?? followed by Lawrence of Arabia??? We agree to disagree on those choices. Williams, Korngold, Rozsa, Waxman, and others you may roll your eyes at anytime
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One Eyed Jacks is a western score certainly not even close in quality to The Big Country.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Southall wrote

Spartacus the greatest score of all time?? followed by Lawrence of Arabia??? We agree to disagree on those choices. Williams, Korngold, Rozsa, Waxman, and others you may roll your eyes at anytime
    Thomas

They're two of the ones I'd put as genuine greats, along with Ben-Hur and To Kill a Mockingbird and Once Upon a Time in the West and On the Waterfront and Patton and Star Wars and Vertigo. I wouldn't really be able to put them in any order though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    One Eyed Jacks is a western score certainly not even close in quality to The Big Country.
    Thomas

Not many are Tom beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    SPARTACUS is a fine score, no doubt about it, but vastly overrated in certain film music fora.

I don't play the CD very often, though (I have the ol' MCA release with some extra tracks), because it's really quite rough music, lots of frenetic percussion and screaming brass. Not really my cup of tea these days.

It is mine! A darn good cerebral listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Not many are Tom beer

As far as a western goes there are none better than Big Country.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Southall wrote

Thomas

They're two of the ones I'd put as genuine greats, along with Ben-Hur and To Kill a Mockingbird and Once Upon a Time in the West and On the Waterfront and Patton and Star Wars and Vertigo. I wouldn't really be able to put them in any order though.

This list is at least getting a little warmer
    Thomas