• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/hereafter/

Interesting. I really hope he isn't scoring this himself indeed, as imdb says...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. IMDB says he isn't scoring it himself? I imagine that this film could inspire a composer to come up with some really cool stuff. Eastwoods own music is usually fine, though it seems almost without exception that his films could have had great scores had someone other than him written the music. That said, I really enjoy his guitar theme from Unforgiven - it's beautiful!

This film looks excellent - it's one of my most anticipated films for the rest of the year. I hope Eastwood gets his groove back after the lackluster Invictus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erm, IMDb says he is scoring this himself again. Unfortunately...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    IMDB says he isn't scoring it himself? I imagine that this film could inspire a composer to come up with some really cool stuff. Eastwoods own music is usually fine, though it seems almost without exception that his films could have had great scores had someone other than him written the music. That said, I really enjoy his guitar theme from Unforgiven - it's beautiful!

This film looks excellent - it's one of my most anticipated films for the rest of the year. I hope Eastwood gets his groove back after the lackluster Invictus.

UNFORGIVEN is a very good score, menacing and broody, Eastwood could do with a guiding hand like Lennie Niehaus.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    As long as that hand is writing most of the score.
  2. Yeah, Niehaus is still orchestrating for Eastwood anyway.

Did you know that Zimmer tried to get the scoring job on Unforgiven, but was told by Eastwood himself that he's got a composer already?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think most of Eastwood's scores are adequate enough - he could have done with a better film composer on his two Iwo Jima films, certainly, but things like Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino are far from the most objectionable scores imaginable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, Niehaus is still orchestrating for Eastwood anyway.

Did you know that Zimmer tried to get the scoring job on Unforgiven, but was told by Eastwood himself that he's got a composer already?

No, I didn't know that? I'm glad Zimmer didn't get the scoring duties.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    IMDB says he isn't scoring it himself? I imagine that this film could inspire a composer to come up with some really cool stuff. Eastwoods own music is usually fine, though it seems almost without exception that his films could have had great scores had someone other than him written the music. That said, I really enjoy his guitar theme from Unforgiven - it's beautiful!

UNFORGIVEN is a very good score, menacing and broody, Eastwood could do with a guiding hand like Lennie Niehaus.

That, or...or...a better composer actually?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I can't imagine anyone further from Eastwood's own scoring sensibility! I wonder if the reason he does it himself is that he thinks a "proper" film composer would be too overbearing. I'm sure he'd find someone if he looked far enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010 edited
    We did a similar thread over at FSM recently.

I think Eastwood's own scores are PERFECT for the type of film he wants to make and his overall stylistic approach. I think it's very, very wrong to judge the quality of a score based on the type of music it is and whether or not it is a type of music you happen to like. Same goes for the whole hypothetical "what if someone else had scored it instead?" ordeal, which is neither here nor there.

It is what it is, and the only way to give any kind of value judgement is to see and hear how the music works in context with the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    BobdH wrote
    Erm, IMDb says he is scoring this himself again. Unfortunately...

You know it is his money that he puts up. Your like someone who has $20 to spend on a book and your telling them what to buy. Or your telling them what to eat when they go out with their own money. The man is a billionare. His pictures are wildly successful so why should he change. Now if 20 million people write to him and tell him that is a different story. Your answer is simple. Don't go see the movie, don't buy the score, and write a letter to Warner Brothers complaining that the soundtrack is so terrible it makes the film unwatchable. What about Woody Allen? No original material only classical. Tarentino similiar situation. Everything in the world doesn't have to be this complex frame by frame Lord of the Rings type soundtrack. Even one of my favorites Max Steiner had a way of too much music.
    Thomas
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote

That, or...or...a better composer actually?

Really? I think Lennie Niehaus score for UNFORGIVEN works superbly, give the film another viewing D, which isn't a chore considering how brilliant it is.
  3. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I can't imagine anyone further from Eastwood's own scoring sensibility! I wonder if the reason he does it himself is that he thinks a "proper" film composer would be too overbearing. I'm sure he'd find someone if he looked far enough.

Well, depends. Zimmer can do an understated work (Frost/Nixon anyone?) if asked for it. Knowing the year when Unforgiven was filmed and release... Zimmer wasn't known as the overbearing composer he is known for being today. His only "properly" Hollywood action work by then was Backdraft, usually he was doing smaller dramas (Regarding Henry). OK, K2 is from that year.

I think something like Unforgiven would be interesting to hear from him. Broken Arrow doesn't really count as a western, now does it? (Even with all the Morriconian inspirations). I know that he *always* wanted to score a western. He would do something Morricone-inspired for sure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hated the score to Broken Arrow so much I gave it away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    but things like Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino are far from the most objectionable scores imaginable.

True but his score to Changeling was probably one of the worst scores I've ever heard. While the theme was alright (when heard the first time at the beginning of the picture) Eastwood repeated it ad nauseum. It was completely the wrong tone for the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow, that looks bad that movie. Still, if it's directed by the Clint, I'm sure it can't be all bad.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I thought The Changeling was an excellent film. Jolie gave an outstanding performance so much so I've forgotten the music. His pictures aren't about scores at all. The two pictures I remember that had outstanding themes that Clint acted in were The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Play Misty For Me. As far as thematic material is concerned it doesn't get any better.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    We did a similar thread over at FSM recently.

I think Eastwood's own scores are PERFECT for the type of film he wants to make and his overall stylistic approach. I think it's very, very wrong to judge the quality of a score based on the type of music it is and whether or not it is a type of music you happen to like. Same goes for the whole hypothetical "what if someone else had scored it instead?" ordeal, which is neither here nor there.

It is what it is, and the only way to give any kind of value judgement is to see and hear how the music works in context with the film.

Couldn't agree more. His pictures are successful end of discussion.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I thought The Changeling was an excellent film. Jolie gave an outstanding performance so much so I've forgotten the music.

I agree that as a whole The Changeling was excellent but he nearly ruined it with his music. So much so that my wife would scream out "Come on, Clint!" every time the theme showed up. It was very distracting!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Couldn't agree more. His pictures are successful end of discussion.

End of discussion? YES SIR! rolleyes

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Wow, that looks bad that movie. Still, if it's directed by the Clint, I'm sure it can't be all bad.

Peter smile

The Changeling is a very good film, well worth watching.

I don't remember the music at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let's be objective, at least as much as possible. His music can be quite good (Mystic river, million dollar baby) but also completely shite and childish, like in the iwo jima duo thingy, changelling etc. Quit fanboyism for a little bit, the all "what he writes is perfect for what he shoots" and all thingy 'cause it simply isn't; like Erik says, sometimes it works, but most of the times he needs a composer who knows what he's doing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let's be objective, at least as much as possible. His music can be quite good (Mystic river, million dollar baby) but also completely shite and childish, like in the iwo jima duo thingy, changelling etc. Quit fanboyism for a little bit, the all "what he writes is perfect for what he shoots" and all thingy 'cause it simply isn't; like Erik says, sometimes it works, but most of the times he needs a composer who knows what he's doing.

You really believe that The Changeling turned off so many people because of the music that people that saw the film commented to others the music ruins it don't waste your money. It was all about the story and Jolie well worth the price.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It was a good movie. I am talking about the music alone though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

I couldn't disagree more. Quite the contrary, he knows very well what he's doing. OK, so he's not a traditional symphonic composer or whatever, but who says that every single film must have one of those? Thank God for versatility, I say, and for different approaches. Criticizing Eastwood's scores based only on the idiom of music is a bit like criticizing an Ingmar Bergman film for not having more explosions! You have to consider what the film wants to communicate, what its style is etc. and how the music resonates with that.

To be honest, I'm relatively indifferent to Clint's music. What annoys me like there's no tomorrow, though, is the narrow-mindedness that exists in evaluating a score based only on one's own musical preferences, as if there's only one valid approach, one valid style of film music etc. (not only referring to you, D, but the criticism in general).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I couldn't disagree more. Quite the contrary, he knows very well what he's doing. OK, so he's not a traditional symphonic composer or whatever, but who says that every single film must have one of those? Thank God for versatility, I say, and for different approaches. Criticizing Eastwood's scores based only on the idiom of music is a bit like criticizing an Ingmar Bergman film for not having more explosions! You have to consider what the film wants to communicate, what its style is etc. and how the music resonates with that.

To be honest, I'm relatively indifferent to Clint's music. What annoys me like there's no tomorrow, though, is the narrow-mindedness that exists in evaluating a score based only on one's own musical preferences, as if there's only one valid approach, one valid style of film music etc. (not only referring to you, D, but the criticism in general).

I couldn't agree more. Would a different composer possibly enhance his film. Maybe. But he won't sell anymore tickets and his box office sales are quite good.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    You really believe that The Changeling turned off so many people because of the music that people that saw the film commented to others the music ruins it don't waste your money. It was all about the story and Jolie well worth the price.

I don't know about everyone else but when my wife and talked about the film to others who hadn't seen it we DID mention the annoying music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010
    His music is childish and terribly undeveloped. I don't know where the heck you see any good in it, that is with the few exceptions already mentioned. You want minimalistic approaches that work? Try cliff martinez, or clint mansell for instance, or peter gabriel and so on. Clint's music is like a kid in piano grade 1 coming up with themes on the piano; completely undeveloped and not orchestrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    His music is childish and terribly undeveloped. I don't know where the heck you see any good in it, that is with the few exceptions already mentioned. You want minimalistic approaches that work? Try cliff martinez, or clint mansell for instance, or peter gabriel and so on. Clint's music is like a kid in piano grade 1 coming up with themes on the piano; completely undeveloped and not orchestrated.

Well, that's your opinion. However, as I already said, you can't judge a film score's quality purely by how it SOUNDS. Film music plays by a whole other set of rules. There are scores that are sound design, there are scores that are symphonic, some are electronic and yes, some are very simple in both melody and orchestration. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is another example - basically just a simple guitar motif repeated in various guises throughout the film. That probably qualifies as "childish and undeveloped" in your ears too. But oh how effective is, how much it gives the film its iconic status and identity.

Now, tell me how you feel Clint's music goes against the visuals and the moods/narratives he wishes to convey, and we might have a constructive discussion going. Otherwise, I'm just going to believe that you're judging it as if it were music composed for its own sake, and it happens to be a type of music you don't like.

In other words, tell me how you think his music fails as FILM music, not merely as music!
    I am extremely serious.