• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. BobdH wrote
    What will be played then, Stop-Loss? Desperate Measures?

With my luck, they'll still be on the strike on Thursday...

don't worry, 2 days is very rare around here. If they decide to strike for a week, Belgium will explode wink

So you won't have any problems if you arrive on Thursday or Friday smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010
    To all those coming to Ghent, don't forget your kazoo!!!!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    To all those coming to Ghent, don't forget your kazoo!!!!

Yes, as if we didn't annoy enough people with it the last time! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    Btw, there's a free closing party of the film festival in one of the main party halls in Ghent: Vooruit. A very cosy hall with lots history and atmosphere. I sure want to go afterwards.
    http://vooruit.be/en/zaalhuur
    http://tickets.filmfestival.be/tickets. … 5⟨=en
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    Hey Bregt, did you get my mail? I'd like to join you guys on Saturday, don't know when yet but I'll know more by Friday - anyways I'll surely bump into you guys tomorrow?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Sure, I'll include you for the dinner!

We arrive around 19:30. Text me when you arrive!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010
    I didn't knew, but found out via Clint Mansell's Facebook page. Kris De Witte, a Belgian photographer, published a book with pictures of composers, who attended WSA the past years, in an old, black Mercedes. The book is called Carposers.

Here's the David Arnold one biggrin and an article
    http://www.flanderstoday.eu/content/fac … -carposers

Here 3 more (JNH, Santaollalla and Marianelli)
    http://www.krisdewitte.com/default.asp
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2010
    I was in Ghent, with Thor.

I'm wasted.

Well, a little.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

I'm wasted.

Well, a little.

punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

I'm wasted.

Well, it's the natural outcome of such a formula isn't? Drunk, or 3 kilos fatter, or both! wink But surely lots of fun to be had! Was mt talk in your agenda too?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

I'm wasted.

Well, a little.

punk beer

he was wasted?
    I was drunk shame

let me tell you this, Thor makes us look like wimps when it comes down to drinking wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010
    So , how was the WSA ?
    I saw some highlights on the late news last night ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. Eric wrote
    So , how was the WSA ?
    I saw some highlights on the late news last night ...

It was excellent, it was a wide & diverse selection, and to hear Titus live and LOTR was epic. But I once again fell in love with the powerful orchestral version of the Twin Peaks theme, the beautiful charm of Santaolalla's performance of The Motorcycle Diaries, Coulais' eclectic Oceans score and Warbeck's charming Shakespeare in Love.

But Titus live was absolutely brilliant punk (Arrow Of The Gods and Finale) if I'm not mistaken they played smile

Plus we have to say it, this orchestra kicked ass. I don't think I heard so many congratulations addressed to Dirk Brossé and the Brussels Philharmonic orchestra than yesterday smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fuck.Titus live.Fuck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010 edited
    What a fabulous festival edition this year! The World Soundtrack Awards are so much more professional and their status have gone a long way. I still love these awards more than any other award that is being given.

The top notch conducting and orchestra was applauded by all people we met. Very fine selections on the programme too: Titus! Santaollalla! FOTR! Yared! Devreese! An absolutely stunning edition this year. Also welcomed was the reception with fans and composers, a good place to talk and meet them, much more relaxed and inviting than the previous years. The early cosy atmosphere was back!

Congrats to Marian and Jacques, the organisation, orchestra, Dirk Brossé and the composers.

punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Sounds like a good time was had by all! Nice in particular to see Desplat's* continued support for these events.

I would have loved to have met and chatted with Elliott Goldenthal as well as Alexandre Desplat.

*Desplat's been to this event in previous years hasn't he?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Some of us managed to talk a bit with Goldenthal (including Thor, which is why he came to Ghent in the first place), and he told us there about the label he set up.

As for Desplat, yes, he was last year's guest of honour with a full concert (in which he conducted himself). He might become a regular guest, like Yared, Arnold, Warbeck, and in the past Jarre and Bernstein.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How was Goldenthal in person?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hungover wink. Well, at first, at least, during the press conference. He 'woke up' some 10 minutes in.

Anyhow, when I approached him for an autograph, he was very friendly (he seemed surprised, even), and although I told him he didn't have to sign all of them if he didn't want to (others were waiting), he still continued to sign all of my booklets! He is also eager to answer questions from the fans (from me and Thor, at least). Great guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    He's one of the composers i'd really love to meet and chat with in person. Great composer.
    • CommentAuthorSangreal
    I agree..........the festival was a great event! And both concerts were excellent. I was glad I went to Gent. Just to see Oceans and Titus played live......and the 007 Suite. Outstanding!

Ps: there was a reception of composers with fans?????? Where? When? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Where were you???
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorSangreal
    Obviously not where you guys were wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Sangreal wrote
    I agree..........the festival was a great event! And both concerts were excellent. I was glad I went to Gent. Just to see Oceans and Titus played live......and the 007 Suite. Outstanding!

Ps: there was a reception of composers with fans?????? Where? When? shocked

SANGREAL! You were there! You were so close! And I still don't know how you look like! And you didn't inform me you were going! Shame on you!

But good to see you were there and enjoyed yourself!
    • CommentAuthorSangreal
    Hoi Bob!!!!

*waves at him wave wave *

Yeah i was there! It was amazing, especially as a first timer there. Next year I'll be there again for sure.

And ehm.......you're not the only one who was THAT close to me.

SANGREAL! You were there! You were so close! And I still don't know how you look like! And you didn't inform me you were going! Shame on you!

I already got the exact same comments from a few others...

So next year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited
    <<waves back>> wave (<-- see?)

Well, yeah, I was speaking for us, as a group. We all feel left out. So next year, group gathering! And since we already had dinner reservations for 18 people, that means next year we probably need to make reservations for the whole venue... Were you also at the Barry concert, seen some films, or just the WSA?
    • CommentAuthorSangreal
    << waves again wave >

Awwwwwww you poor group! From what I read you got over that real quick and had a great time wink

You bet I saw the John Barry concert! I want the bond suite live on a cd! I think Nicholas did a great job there. I was there from thursday till sunday.

So were you on the elusive reception with the composers (insert jealous look here)?
  4. Hi all,

I thought it was my time to pop in. As has been said many times over, the concert on Saturday was fabulous. The interview with the composers was fun, and I had a chance to have a little follow up chat with Bruno Coulais (I met him in Tenerife). I also had a nice long talk with Stephen Warbeck. What a wonderful guy that is.

The concert itself for me was a combination of enjoying music I always loved and discovering some composers I wasn't that familiar with. In that category Santaolalla was for me the most emotional discovery. He brought a rendition of his song 'My love will never grow old' that was just spine tingling.

Question: does a version exist on record of this song where he actually sings it, instead of Emmylou Harris? If it doesn't exist, I would love to have the ripped version of the television version that is going to be aired of this performance somewhere in November (15th?). Only I have no idea how to rip music from my Digicorder.

Anybody have any tips for me?

Anyways, after the concert some of us went to have a drink, and then went to party at the Vooruit. It was very much fun. I was able to dance a little salsa with Floris, dance sexily with Thor and Bregt...

And to boost, our final song, before we had to leave was ... Mission Impossible.

It was just perfect and fabulous and I LOVE YOU GUYS... kiss

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited
    First post here, had a great time meeting the maintitles gang for dinner @ 't Braske

Here are some pictures from the press conference

press conference

and from the concert

concert

enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It was indeed a great evening and night! Since I was basically all week worried to get sick (very tired, cold, just got off a throatpain that week), I didn't think I'd enjoy it this much!

By the way, unfortunately the song performed by Gustavo is not available, yet in my search I did find another live rendition of De Usuahia a la Quiaca (Motorcycle Diaries) that he performed in... Vooruit, Ghent! It's really a lovely performance, more personal and small instead of the orchestral version during the WSA with the strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqUomOA2X-Y

He really plays from the heart...