• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited
    francis wrote
    Here are some pictures from the press conference

press conference

Picture of the dinner: Ah, I see I managed to turn my head just in time biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    And to boost, our final song, before we had to leave was ... Mission Impossible.

And that wasn't all; we got songselections from Quincy Jones (Austin Powers) and Tarantino (Death Proof)! At least, for as far as I recognized...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Sangreal wrote
    So were you on the elusive reception with the composers (insert jealous look here)?

Yes, I was! <<looks quite pleased with himself back at Holy Woman>>. tongue (<-- see?)

I was at the press conference on saturday morning, which ended in the reception (with great chocolate moose, by the way), managed to have a small talk with Goldenthal, who signed all my booklets, and got rather wasted after my glass of champagne. Well, lightheaded, at least. I already drank two glasses of wine the night before, y'see.

I also arrived on thursday, and left on sunday! Did you get to see some films at the festival during your stay, or did you marvel at the wonders of Ghent?
    • CommentAuthorSangreal
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    Yes, I was! <<looks quite pleased with himself back at Holy Woman>>. (<-- see?)

I can see it wink

(still jealous)

But happy for you!

Well I didn't go to the big cinema, I did a lot of sightseeing through Gent on foot and on water but I did manage to see a few movies at the Sphinx (Planet Earth and Des Hommes et Des Dieux)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah, nice! Wasn't Planet Earth just breathtaking on the big screen?
    And wasn't the French/Dutch subtitles just... weird?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ghent 2010, summa summarum:

FRIDAY:

Arrived at about 19, met up with Bregt and Thomas, picked up Bob (who had just come off THREE movies in the theatre), left our bags at Thomas' place, then went out to eat at an Italian restaurant, met up with Dave Norris (from FSM) and girlfriend Julie at a pub, where we all(?) got wasted from beers and vanilla shots and whatnot. Went to sleep at about 4:45 (well, I did, anyway, my sofa colleague Bob didn't sleep at all, probably because he had the "short end" of the sofa).

SATURDAY:

Forced ourselves up at about 9:30, extremely hung over, and went to the press conference at 11 (relieved to see most of the composers hung over too, in addition to the less-than-stellar moderator from Variety). I got to ask the panel a question, then a meet/greet/picture/signing thing outside before the formal reception in the basement - complete with hors d'oeuvres and champagne - where I got to talk with Goldenthal some more. See photo:

http://celluloidtunes.net/non-website/elliotandthor.jpg

Checked into a hotel (had to relax for a couple of hours, but I missed Dave's call to meet up while I did), met 17 fellow film music fans - from FSM, maintitles and the Belgian film music site - for a pre-WSA dinner nearby at about 17:30 (great local stew and dark Leffe beer!), went to the WSA at 19(?), had the film music experience of my life (and one of Top 5 concerts ever, which is something when you consider that it's up against the likes of Pink Floyd and Jean Michel Jarre), got to thank Goldenthal after the concert, as well as Badalementi (I told him geekboyishly that his music to TWIN PEAKS inspired me to write a novel in the 90's - which is true - to which he replied "you should make a film out of it and give me a call!"), went for a beer in the student pub street of Ghent, then proceeded to the big dance party thing that Elin talked about, entered into a drinking competition with Bregt, danced, exchanged clothes with Bregt, was back at my hotel about 5, passed out.

SUNDAY:

Woke up at about 12, met Bregt and Thomas, went for a stroll through the stupendously beautiful old town of Ghent and saw all the attractions (got totally confused by all the squares and buildings, though), had a great burger at an Irish place, met up with Dave Norris and girlfriend again for a farewell drink, said my goodbyes to Bregt and Thomas, relaxed some more at the hotel, went out alone to eat at about 19, but took the tram in the wrong direction, only to WALK in the wrong direction when I had arrived at the right place(!), eventually found Amadeus - a great rib place that was incredibly popular (took a while to get my beer, food and bill), capped the evening off with an Orval at Bregt's favourite pub (Marcato??), took a taxi home, went to bed at midnight, but couldn't fall asleep, got up at 6:30 for my 9-hour journey back today.

THE END.

The illustrated Facebook version also available in a store near you as soon as I have all the pics.

Thanks to all of you guys for giving me this experience! I love you all. I have a soar throat and fever now from all the action, but it was WELL worth it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you so much for the reports everyone! More photos smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    francis wrote
    First post here, had a great time meeting the maintitles gang for dinner @ 't Braske

Here are some pictures from the press conference

press conference

and from the concert

concert

enjoy!

Angelo looking old but cool as always!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, more from Angelo, being his talkative self at the press conference:

http://knackfocus.rnews.be/nl/entertain … 020607.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks for that Usuashalala Santaolalla video Bob. Very nice. Without the orchestra though. I so want a recorded version of that piece. punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sangreal wrote
    Yes, I was! <<looks quite pleased with himself back at Holy Woman>>. (<-- see?)

I can see it wink

(still jealous)

But happy for you!

Well I didn't go to the big cinema, I did a lot of sightseeing through Gent on foot and on water but I did manage to see a few movies at the Sphinx (Planet Earth and Des Hommes et Des Dieux)

DES HOMMES ET DES DIEUX is a superb film! Saw it as the Films from the South festival here in Norway recently. Gruesome and thought-provoking, but also extremely beautiful. The [spoiler]"last supper" scene[/spoiler] with Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" was just inspired.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    (well, I did, anyway, my sofa colleague Bob didn't sleep at all, probably because he had the "short end" of the sofa).

I secretly admired you when you slept.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    Need more photos! Can you organize the links to photos in 1 big post?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Will post mine tomorrow, and try to get most of the above together!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited
    Angelo aced the evening! So impressive. You really saw him enjoy playing with the orchestra.
    Of course, the other music was performed very well too, but Badalamenti was my personal favourite.

It was nice to meet all of you again, but my apologies, I slipped out early during a rain break after the concert. I was rather tired and had to drive home for another hour. Since I couldn't find any of you during the break, I thought it would take aaaages until you guys made it back to the reception. Agreed, a notification text message would've been nice. smile I'll think of that next time. Until next time!
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Some facebook pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 … 142815e2ae
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Saw the photo album, loved it! Thor crazy, fun and stylish as always wink hehe great gang, i envied a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Saw the photo album, loved it! Thor crazy, fun and stylish as always wink hehe great gang, i envied a bit.

You GOTTA make one of these gatherings some day, Demetris. You're a crucial part of the community.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    OH, i know! I so want to. Geld is the problem right now but from next year that i'll be full-time employed (hopefully), i hope i'll eliminate this obstacle.
  1. Next year in Krakow would be a cool opportunity, I have some info I can't share yet (and one info that is sadly negative, but we'll fight for yet another year), but it's gonna be interesting, I think!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I think Thor said it correctly, Ghent may not be the easiest place to visit, but is most definitely worth it. This because the beer and the city is already into Thor's heart for forever smile

Plus, where do you get the opportunity to meet a God (Bregt) in public? wink

Anyway, to all, thanks for an amazing weekend, it was excellent! this because I had the chance to sleep next to Bregt for 2 TIMES punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Just uploaded my footage from the press conference and concert (goldenthal interview). Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhYoECjrhfo
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Anyway, to all, thanks for an amazing weekend, it was excellent! this because I had the chance to sleep next to Bregt for 2 TIMES punk

There is a condom story in there. Those who were there, know what I'm talking about. Those who weren't... Your turn to try to find out what it is.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    There's an essential quote you're leaving out here:

"Bregt and I will make out in the morning" - Thomas.

'S all I'm saying. Think the rest pretty much speaks for itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    You guys are weird ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Condom?

You naughty Bregt and Thor!!

Or was it Bear McCreary? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I don't wanna know ! lol
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    My pictures here
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 … dff81bca0c

Official pictures at the festival's website
    http://www.filmfestival.be/features2.cg … p;caid=300

As mentioned above, it was a fabulous night. Certainly one of the top editions of the whole history. I can only support what the others wrote. Top quality performance, excellent selections, fine winners of the awards, ... Stunning!

It was also a good chance to meet old friends and new people. MainTitles merged with FSM and others for a cosy dinner before the concert started. Thor described well what followed after the concert.

Too many people to thank, but especially Marian, Jacques and the organisation, Thor for joining the Belgians with so much enthusiasm, my dear friends from Belgium and The Netherlands (Bob! Jorrit!), Dave and Julie for the incredibly fun moments, Francis and Urs for joining the dinner. A big MainTitles party!

Highlights:
    - WSA: Twin Peaks, Titus, Santaollalla, Frédéric Devreese, LOTR
    - Barry: James Bond Suite, Mary Queen of Scott, We Have all the Time in the World
    - meeting up with Thor on Friday evening and having a blast in Ghent, joined by Tim, Thomas, Bob, Dave and Julie
    - the press conference/fan meeting with almost all composers: a very welcomed initiative, with reception and fine food
    - dinner with almost 20 people, from MainTitles, filmmuziek.be and bit of FSM
    - the party in Vooruit (closing event of the festival): dancing on the tunes of Mission Impossible and Austin Powers, and other swings and classic with Elin, Bob, Floris, Thomas, Thor and Tim
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    CALL FOR PICTURES!!

I'm currently writing up my 2-part report from the WSA for montages.no, but I realize that the pictures I took during the press conference and reception are really crappy (as my camera sucks) and I have no pictures whatsoever from the event itself (as that was forbidden, and as I sat on the floor level, I didn't want to be thrown out).

I know there are a few official pics at WSA's site I can use, but I wonder if anyone took any "vista" shots during the press conference and concert that were pretty good?

If so, I would be very happy if I could use them for my article. We can't pay anything (as it's a site run on ideology alone), but I'll obviously credit appropriately.

Please e-mail me at tjhaga at yahoo dot com if you can help me out.

Thanks!!
    I am extremely serious.