• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010
    TRON: LEGACY - Daft Punk's "Derezzed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Afc2uzw4g
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Vangelis is an icon of his generation. Glad that people are finally paying homage to him (Jesper Kyd's new ASSASINS' CREED score also has Vangelian colors in it). Looking forward to this.

Back in the day, when Hollywood rewarded one of his first film scores with an Oscar (CHARIOTS OF FIRE), many score lovers scoffed in similar gesture to how you reacted to ... Rahman. The great cycle of history rolls on. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited
    No relation mate. Rahman isn't doing anything new, he just brought Bolly to the film music masses. Vangelis' crafted his own sound. And you know me, i am usually all pro new stuff in film music whilst the 'classical' thing would be ranting about the good ol' symphonic sound that's been killed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    The TRON score has weaseled its way onto Youtube. It's much better than I was expecting. After I heard a "Derezzed" preview I was expecting an almost entirely electronic score, but I think only 5 cues out of 22 are full out electronic synth stuff. Most tracks are an electro-orchestral hybrid that are often heavier on the orchestra than the electronics. A handful of cues are even solo orchestra. When the orchestra is used it's done in a slow-building, loop style obviously influenced by the conventions of trance/techno, etc. But it's well done.

Here are some of the better tracks:

-Outlands
    -Overture - Five notes in here make me think they're playing some movie production studio's fanfare theme in slo-mo, but I can't think which one...
    -Disc Wars
    -C.L.U.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    No relation mate. Rahman isn't doing anything new, he just brought Bolly to the film music masses. Vangelis' crafted his own sound. And you know me, i am usually all pro new stuff in film music whilst the 'classical' thing would be ranting about the good ol' symphonic sound that's been killed.

Besides, Vangelis musical career is so much bigger outside of film music, I'm very greatful he was given opportunities to score films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Looking forward to seeing Tron Legacy in 3 dimensions. That's about the only thing I've been wanting to see in the theatre since the very first trailer aired. It's totally my thing.

Now I've never seen Tron, but I may as well just to understand what will be going on in Legacy.

And Daft Punk? Well I'll keep my judgement for myself until after I've heard it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tron is a classic. As "dated" as it is today, I think you will really enjoy the set-up and the execution.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. It's more of a cult classic no? The film has never gotten good reviews, or am I mistaken?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh! You are very much mistaken!

It never took off as massively as Disney had hoped, but it's been a fan and critic favourite throughout the decades!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, it's gotten mixed reviews and I believe it flopped at the box office. It's mostly seen as a technical advance in terms of CGI effects, and respected that way, but not necessarily regarded as a great film (except for a cult following indeed). That's also why I was sceptical at first about Legacy, but it seems it has taken a virtue out of its retro datedness in a great way. Also, the fact it's the first film actually designed for 3D since Avatar, filmed with camera's that are the next step after Cameron's technical leap, will help it to be an experience. Hope it'll do well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    Well, it's gotten mixed reviews and I believe it flopped at the box office. .

It got mostly favourable reviews, and it most certainly did not bomb, and was in fact counted as a moderate (national) box office success, doing even better abroad.
    Why does everyone think it flopped? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    Well, I wasn't alive at the time, so my sources are RottenTomatoes (68%) and a documentary about Pixar, which tells of the struggle it was for John Lasseter to get the project off the ground, Disney hating the whole ordeal (afraid the technical progress would make the 2D animators unemployed, and rightly so as it turns out, they fired Lasseter shortly after) so they're probably the ones responsible for the current image of the film. Tron also has been unavailable for a long period of time and doesn't seem to be referenced by Disney that much, untill Lasseter of course took over and got the new version into production.

As IMDb mentions:
    Due to the poor return at the box office, following this film and its predecessor The Black Hole, Disney Studios did not make another live subject film for ten years

Of course, this attitude of the company didn't help the film's image either...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010 edited
    TRON

Very impressive work. If it works in the film as good as it sounds as a musical album, this is definitely one of the scores of the year. Very glad film music is slowly 'opening up' to non-traditional film music composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    I loved the Vangelis tributes; like in with the obvious BLADE RUNNER bass line in "Rinzler". It's really nice to see his well respected sound slowly finding its way back to the modern sci-fi cinema. He surely is one extremely gifted artist and those newer artists prove that his sound can still be used in imaginative and fresh ways.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    TRON

Very impressive work. If it works in the film as good as it sounds as a musical album, this is definitely one of the scores of the year. Very glad film music is slowly 'opening up' to non-traditional film music composers.

Hmm, this is a completely different sound from you than a couple of weeks ago (see the previous page) when you were still trying to shoot me for wanting to watch this film.
    So are you planning on watching the movie as well now? biggrin

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    liking this music has nothing to do with my plans on watching or not in this case , the movie. I won't because it is so not for me. I am waiting for specific people to watch it and in through the suffering and report back on how it works in the film or not smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010
    Did you ever see the original, D.?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    large segments of it but not the entire film. It is premise does not interest me at all. What i watched i found unbearable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The score is very good indeed. Although I'm not much into electronic stuff, must say it works quite well here and is a very enjoyable experience indeed. The orchestral tracks are a pleasant surprise and great too.
  5. I just published my review, if anyone's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2010/11/26/tron- … daft-punk/
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    [liking this music has nothing to do with my plans on watching or not in this case , the movie. I won't because it is so not for me. I am waiting for specific people to watch it and in through the suffering and report back on how it works in the film or not smile

And about wtaching the original film you wrote:

Christodoulides wrote
    It is premise does not interest me at all. What i watched i found unbearable.

Well maybe that's it then. As a child I really loved the original TRON and wtaching it agin a couple a weeks ago, the love was still there. Even looking at it with the eyes of an adult hasn't changed that. So yes, they might screw it up, as Holywood tends to screw up sequels, but if they remain true to the original, I won't be suffering at all. But 'de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum'.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never had any connection to TRON, for some reason, but I currently have the same dilemma while watching my recently acquired Gold Box of TWIN PEAKS. I was nervous that my nostalgic relationship to it would be killed when I now watche the whole thing again as a weary adult. So far, however, it's been able to stand the test of time perfectly well, which attests to its status as the best TV show ever made.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010 edited
    Skating_Lientje wrote

Well maybe that's it then. As a child I really loved the original TRON and wtaching it agin a couple a weeks ago, the love was still there. Even looking at it with the eyes of an adult hasn't changed that. So yes, they might screw it up, as Holywood tends to screw up sequels, but if they remain true to the original, I won't be suffering at all. But 'de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum'.

Elin

That would be it then i am sure; i never had any connection with that whatsoever so it's pretty natural that i won't be able to do so now as an adult when it'd be even harder.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I just published my review, if anyone's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2010/11/26/tron- … daft-punk/

Good review Jon, this just strengthens my resolve to buy the album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Thor wrote
    Never had any connection to TRON, for some reason, but I currently have the same dilemma while watching my recently acquired Gold Box of TWIN PEAKS. I was nervous that my nostalgic relationship to it would be killed when I now watche the whole thing again as a weary adult. So far, however, it's been able to stand the test of time perfectly well, which attests to its status as the best TV show ever made.

No way, best TV show ever made is E.R.

Twin Peaks just gets too weird after a while, just like Lost.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote

Elin

That would be it then i am sure; i never had any connection with that whatsoever so it's pretty natural that i won't be able to do so now as an adult when it'd be even harder.

I've never watched it, in fact it's on my harddisk and I want to watch it, it's just the dated visuals are a little off-putting. Had I seen this in my youth I would look at it another way I'm sure. Now I'm wondering why I never got around to watching it. I'm a big sci-fi buff and the whole premise of living your life in a virtual world is something I as a gamer can totally relate to.

But I will watch it before I go out and see Tron Legacy 3D, which will be a unique experience from the looks of things, since Avatar started the whole rage. smile

BTW The music is really something else, totally unexpected from these Daft Punk guys. Should work like a charm in the film, I'm certain of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010
    Yeah, their score sounds like it will work wonders in the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Twin Peaks just gets too weird after a while, just like Lost.

And none of them are a patch on The Sopranos. FACT!
  9. One benefit of listening to Tron Legacy is that it made me seek out the music for the original Tron.

I'd only heard some tracks on the recent Wendy Carlos CDs that featured music from The Shining, A Clockwork Orange as well as Tron. With these being synth tracks I'd just assumed that the score for Tron itself would just be synth. I hadn't realised that it was a meld of both synth and orchestra (the LSO nonetheless!). Listening to Tron at the moment, it's not that bad.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote

shocked confused
    You're kidding , right ?!
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"