• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A good review. I enjoyed reading it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. BobdH wrote
    Just added my first review onto MainTitles, of Daft Punk's TRON: LEGACY.

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/tron-legacy/

excellent review indeed, and Bob seems to be a fan as well from the Excellent Track usages smile

Good to have you on board Bob
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited
    Thanks!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bob seems to be a fan as well from the Excellent Track usages smile

Haha, yeah, I had to stop myself from selecting too much 'excellent tracks' biggrin
    I think it's a very helpful way for those unfamiliar with a score, to hear those tracks first, and then decide if they're going to get the full thing.
  3. BobdH wrote
    Thanks!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bob seems to be a fan as well from the Excellent Track usages smile

Haha, yeah, I had to stop myself from selecting too much 'excellent tracks' biggrin
    I think it's a very helpful way for those unfamiliar with a score, to hear those tracks first, and then decide if they're going to get the full thing.

that too, plus for the reviewer it gives you a clear indication as to give the score what kind of rating wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited
    I don't think anyone ever claimed there was anything revolutionary about the TRON soundtrack. It's more how Daft Punk - in their usual fashion - is able to merge retro sounds (even samples from arcade games) with a modern, Zimmeresque soundscape and funky grooves.

Interestingly, I would choose some other tracks for "excellence" than you, Thomas, such as "End of Line" and "End Titles". Agree with "Derezzed", though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    Good score, very enjoyable listening experience but not exactly the "next apocalypse" in film music either, right ? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Thor wrote
    I don't think anyone ever claimed there was anything revolutionary about the TRON soundtrack. It's more how Daft Punk - in their usual fashion - is able to merge retro sounds (even samples from arcade games) with a modern, Zimmeresque soundscape and funky grooves.

Interestingly, I would choose some other tracks for "excellence" than you, Thomas, such as "End of Line" and "End Titles". Agree with "Derezzed", though.

I would chose perhaps other tracks too Thor, considering the review isn't of me but of BOB wink

Now there are 2 who rate the tracks too smile
  5. Admittingly, having all the bonus cues on one album makes for a somewhat overlong listen but still ridiculously enjoyable.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

I would chose perhaps other tracks too Thor, considering the review isn't of me but of BOB wink

Oops, right you are. Sorry about that. I've just gotten used to you writing all the reviews around here. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

Oops, right you are. Sorry about that. I've just gotten used to you writing all the reviews around here. smile

I know, I think you'll not be the only one smile
  7. Bob's Reviews? That has a nice ring to it... beer Hope you can take some off the workload of Thomas. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Bob's Reviews? That has a nice ring to it... beer Hope you can take some off the workload of Thomas. smile

I hope so, so that I can concentrate myself on the composer updates and the scores I really want to review
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    Cool review, Bob. beer
  9. Just read Bob's views on the score, and can't do anything else than agree with him. A symphony of awesomeness? Simply spot-on tagline!!!! punk

And that the real fans of Daft Punk are disappointed, well that doesn't surprise me. I can't imagine someone being able to dance on this music, apart from maybe a few cues.

And you forgot to mention the uber-cool hommage to John Carpenter in the track 'End of Line'. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Just read Bob's views on the score, and can't do anything else than agree with him. A symphony of awesomeness? Simply spot-on tagline!!!! punk

And that the real fans of Daft Punk are disappointed, well that doesn't surprise me. I can't imagine someone being able to dance on this music, apart from maybe a few cues.

And you forgot to mention the uber-cool hommage to John Carpenter in the track 'End of Line'. wink

After having played it a few times, I get more a Tangerine Dream vibe from that track, but it's pretty cool in any case.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I finally got to see TRON: Legacy, and after been scared to death about it being aweful by many reviewers, I gotta say: I really liked it. The best part of course was the music, but still the visuals were great, the storyline was good enough adepted to not be a carbon copy paste from the original...

It's not going to win an oscar for in depth story telling, but it was robbed a nomination for an oscar on score...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited
    [edit]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    Wrong thread. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    You're right smile
  11. Skating_Lientje wrote
    I finally got to see TRON: Legacy, and after been scared to death about it being aweful by many reviewers, I gotta say: I really liked it. The best part of course was the music, but still the visuals were great, the storyline was good enough adepted to not be a carbon copy paste from the original...

It's not going to win an oscar for in depth story telling, but it was robbed a nomination for an oscar on score...

Elin

Didn't you find the 3D distracting Elin? It wasn't used as well as in Avatar. Besides I found the film very artificial, where the original has a certain charm and less convoluted story.

And this should've been in Recent Viewing. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011
    No other 3d so far is as good as avatar. The technique everyone elses uses is totally different than avatar.
  12. Makes you wonder why there are multiple ways of 3D projection. Can't they just use the standard Avatar set because that one is tried, tested and works beautifully?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's hugely expensive.
  13. Is 3D actually a sustainable format for films? Or is it just a passing phase like it was quite a number years ago?

I think that the filmmakers are hoping that now that the technology appears to be "there" it's a goer. However, is it actually being adopted by the filmgoers as a preferred viewing method that will establish itself?

I don't know - which is why I'm asking!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not actually a new technology, rather than a re-boot.

I think it's a trend, a fashion. But it'll show with the time if it'll develop to anything else more than a trend; it'll depend on the 1. usage and incorporation of the 3d inside the narrative and film; it must be a reason for it, not just be there 'cause it looses its meaning. 2. the quality of the movies and 3. the audience's response 'cause with the worldwide financial crisis, asking people to constantly pay for 3d that isn't so good truth to be told, is going to backfire. We'll see but proper stereoscopic 3d (as in avatar) is still very expensive to make and takes a lot of work.
  14. I knew that it was a reboot - I remember watching the green/red "stereo" black and white films when they were shown on TV back in the 80's.

If/when 3D cinema/TV is developed whereby the audience does not need to wear any glasses, is this a major hurdle to get over before this technology is accepted?
  15. But what Avatar did for 3D was phenomenal, if you didn't mind the glasses. I think the only way for 3D to find its place in the home market or any market is to ditch the glasses, so you can see the effect with your proper eyes.

I have a 3D enabled LED-TV, but in all honesty it looks rubbish compared to what Avatar looked like in the threatre, there's ghosting all over the place, and sometimes you need to adjust your eyes when it goes from a close-up to a wideshot for example, it's really weird and doesn't work nearly as well as I would've hoped. Maybe my TV isn't doing its job properly. They really need to perfect the system, because they're just not to the point where it will convince joe public.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was just wondering if there's anyone here with bad eyesight? I have a couple of friends who are unable to wear the 3D glasses, or more accurately, they don't work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    As I think I may have said before, I have a cylindrical deviation that makes watching 3D a bit of a chore (and contact lenses hideously expensive angry ).
    That said, Avatar, the only film I have seen in 3D since 1999's 30 minute T-Rex (which ended up making me cross-eyed an causing a headache for the rest of the day), was eminently watchable for me, even when it was still a bit of a relief taking off the glasses for about a minute or so every 50-60 minutes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  16. Timmer wrote
    I was just wondering if there's anyone here with bad eyesight? I have a couple of friends who are unable to wear the 3D glasses, or more accurately, they don't work.

Thomas has a bad eye and he is unable to see depth of field, so no 3D for him. It doesn't bother him actually.