• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    Never had any connection to TRON, for some reason, but I currently have the same dilemma while watching my recently acquired Gold Box of TWIN PEAKS. I was nervous that my nostalgic relationship to it would be killed when I now watche the whole thing again as a weary adult. So far, however, it's been able to stand the test of time perfectly well, which attests to its status as the best TV show ever made.

No way, best TV show ever made is E.R.

Twin Peaks just gets too weird after a while, just like Lost.

The weirder, the better. Especially when it's very "arty-fartsy", as Timmer would say, which I love! smile

I'm more into the series because of the mood, though (it once inspired me to write a short novel). IMO, nothing comes close to the quality of this series. There's TWIN PEAKS...and then there's everything else.

Hey, how did we get from Daft Punk to TWIN PEAKS?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010
    Lost
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010 edited
    Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    No way, best TV show ever made is E.R.

shocked confused
    You're kidding , right ?!

Because I'm watching the 8th season now and it's still just as strong as it's ever been. The hyper-realistic portrayal of the medical profession is stunning, the characters are flesh and blood (literally too), and every season there is at least one event that grips me by the throat, some seasons even have several. This is no stupid mindless soap-opera, it's top-notch quality drama.

Don't get me wrong there are other great show out there but this one just oozes professionalism out of every pore, and has maintained that high level for many years. How many TV shows can claim that?

Sorry for the off-topic, but it gave me the opportunity to say it. And me and my brother can argue about it all you want very soon. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lost
  1. daft punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry, weren't we talking best tv shows?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    uhm
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010
    James Horner!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

The Sopranos
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Ok this is getting slightly out of hand. rolleyes

So how about that electronic duo huh? What film they should do next? My vote is for Spielberg's Tintin, if Williams already overbooked schedule should coincide with that film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    I'm wondering if the 5 additional tracks on the EU limited edition would be worth the purchase. If they'd be so good, why wouldn't they be on the score in the first place? I'm really intrigued by the samples I hear, so considering the purchase...
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The Sopranos

West Wing

or Babylon 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Babylon 5 is an interesting choice indeed. In this household Babylon 5 would all into a Top 5 TV show every other week; when the episode followed the long-term story ark. The other episodes were just filler.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Babylon 5 is an interesting choice indeed. In this household Babylon 5 would all into a Top 5 TV show every other week; when the episode followed the long-term story ark. The other episodes were just filler.

It's certainly among the best sci fi shows ever made, which is curious - since I usually dislike "pointy ear" sci fi (I can't stand STAR TREK, for example). My guess is that it has something to do with the political/philosophical/religious backdrop and scope, which in a way was also made STAR WARS so good. The opera thing. It's really a a space opera TV series.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Guys, maybe we should open a new topic, best (genre) series, you know? smile

Daft n' Punked shouldn't be too happy about this...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The Sopranos

West Wing

or Babylon 5

Babylon 5? Brilliant!

I never saw enough of The West Wing to make any kind of worthy opinion.
  5. Don't worry. Maybe things will pick up again when the album is actually released? You never know. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. West Wing? I didn't watch any of it. That's my opinion right there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Don't worry. Maybe things will pick up again when the album is actually released? You never know. wink

They're releasing a West Wing album?
    WICKED!

I do like the two Babylon 5 compilation albums.
    Not too keen on the full episode soundtrack CDs. Nice gimmick. Quite unlistenable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

shocked
    You missed out.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    West Wing? I didn't watch any of it. That's my opinion right there!

shocked shocked
    YOU MISSED OUT!

(Although obviously the level of appreciation does pretty much hinge on being at the very least interested in politics and political manouevering, with an -obvious- focus on the USA)
  7. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked
    You missed out.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    West Wing? I didn't watch any of it. That's my opinion right there!

shocked shocked
    YOU MISSED OUT!

(Although obviously the level of appreciation does pretty much hinge on being at the very least interested in politics and political manouevering, with an -obvious- focus on the USA)

I absolutely agree. The West Wing is on the top of my list as best TV series ever, well a shared first place with Battlestar Galactica (as that had kickass music to boot, while the West Wing music never really did anything to me).

But series-wise: The West Wing is superb. punk

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  8. No love for E.R. ? cry

Bro?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My oldest and best mate has the whole series of West Wing which I'll borrow at some point, he says it's not as good as The Sopranos or The Wire but that it's certainly worth a watch.

He also has all the Galactica stuff..........where'll I find the time? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited
    WEST WING? Is that the show where Martin Sheen constantly keeps looking out of the window (as seen from the back), pondering on some serious issue?

I've not seen a single episode, but I've seen a couple of scenes where they keep doing that...or cluttered groups of busy people hurrying through corridors while talking on top of each other.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, then I'm sure you have a well-informed, poignant and considered opinion on this to share with us. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Well, then I'm sure you have a well-informed, poignant and considered opinion on this to share with us. wink

I most certainly do not. Never really been my type of show. Just funny to see how my brief glimpses is apparently not at all representative of how it is - if going by this unilateral praise.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    WEST WING? Is that the show where Martin Sheen constantly keeps looking out of the window (as seen from the back), pondering on some serious issue?

I've not seen a single episode, but I've seen a couple of scenes where they keep doing that...or cluttered groups of busy people hurrying through corridors while talking on top of each other.

Well, yes he does that from time to time, but it definitely not representative for the whole series.

Basically it boils down to this: Aaron Sorkin wrote the first 4 seasons (all of which won Best drama series Emmies). These are superb. Poignant, funny, realistic (sometimes) and always entertaining. It never is black and white, there are no real good guys and bad guys.

Give it a 4 or 5 episodes to grow on you, and decide then. But definitely give it a go.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  10. I heard so many good things of West Wing, but never seen it ... yet

Best Series?
    24, ER, Battlestar Galactica and Firefly

to name a few smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    24 went well over it's 'sale by'.