• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    Iron Man, The Avengers, Thor?

Are all fun superhero movies?
    At least compared to the Batman trilogy and the apparent tone of Man of Steel.
    Thor is probably the darkest of those 3 and even in that one the villains are a cheesy 1-dimensional ice-man and a hammy "I'm just doing it for the attention" Loki. Not very dark.

Whereas Batman features legitimate (if broadly-stroked) moral dilemmas and truly psychotic villains...and I expect Man of Steel to do the same given the track record of those involved.

Which, personally, I'm looking forward to...I enjoyed Smallville the most when it delved into adult moral territory...particularly the story arcs involving Clark's relationship with the as-yet-morally-undeveloped Lex Luthor and his truly interesting and surprisingly well-written father. More of that kind of thing, I hope.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012
    the first part of the music sounds a bit like Elysium from Gladiator, but only the melody of the vocals. i think the music fits perfectly to the images.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

...are Marvel superheroes.

And...? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've got a Williams/Man of Steel version of the trailer uploading to YouTube. If it gets taken down I have that version uploading to Vimeo. Williams music doesn't match up perfectly but my God I'd rather have goosebump moments with the beginning of that classic march rhythm just before Superman takes off than some generic wordless choir trying too hard to make us believe that a man can fly.

EDIT - Here it is!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

...are Marvel superheroes.

And...? uhm

...gimme another ten i'm still trying to think of a witty retort spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've got a Williams/Man of Steel version of the trailer uploading to YouTube. If it gets taken down I have that version uploading to Vimeo. Williams music doesn't match up perfectly but my God I'd rather have goosebump moments with the beginning of that classic march rhythm just before Superman takes off than some generic wordless choir trying too hard to make us believe that a man can fly.

EDIT - Here it is!

-Erik-

It works, that's the power of great music for you. This is a re-boot so I understand why they're going for a different musical approach, I just don't expect anything of the magnitude of Williams opus.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

...go into a bar...

:coat: >>>
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    New Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … Vu3gS7iJu4

Meh!

-Erik-

Absolutely LOVE it!

FINALLY a more serious adaptation of SUPERMAN. I've not been a fan of Snyder's work so far, but this looks extremely promising. It takes the Terrence Malick elements from the first teaser and adds more 'flesh', comic book wise, but still keeps the nuance and complexity. Beautiful music too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm underwhelmed. I've seen so many super hero movies now (well, I quit three years ago) that I don't really care for this one either. sad The music must be something from Lisa Gerrard's backlog and the other one is familiar as well.

Also, I don't see much nuance. biggrin
    Kazoo
  1. Captain Future wrote
    Was that original music? Can somebody please identify this music for me? This isn't from LothR again, right?

First part is Gladiator (and Lisa Gerrard), the second big choral piece is Craig Armstrong's Elisabeth: The Golden Age

And yes, this trailer may look incredibly serious, but finally there's a trailer I totally love (especially because of the great music) and build up
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    I'm underwhelmed. I've seen so many super hero movies now (well, I quit three years ago) that I don't really care for this one either. sad The music must be something from Lisa Gerrard's backlog and the other one is familiar as well.

Also, I don't see much nuance. biggrin

I see LOTS, or at least the potential for lots, but it's a bit too early to tell. We really only get a grasp of the general style and aesthetic (which is beautiful).

Like you, however, I'm kinda fed up on superhero movies. It's not my preferred genre in the first place -- whether old or new.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who said being serious wasn't fun? Weren't Nolan's Batman films hugely fun? Yes, we must face it that people and times change; it's not the more naive era of the 90's anymore. The world is grimmer and darker now, just look around you. Nostalgia is great to get you back on track and bring wonderful memories and sentiments when needed, but every work of entertainment or art, must be taken into the context of the era and surroundings in which it was made. Honestly, Williams' music does not fit with this, at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Who said being serious wasn't fun? Weren't Nolan's Batman films hugely fun? Yes, we must face it that people and times change; it's not the more naive era of the 90's anymore. The world is grimmer and darker now, just look around you. Nostalgia is great to get you back on track and bring wonderful memories and sentiments when needed, but every work of entertainment or art, must be taken into the context of the era and surroundings in which it was made. Honestly, Williams' music does not fit with this, at all.

yeah

Although I obviously still love Williams' SUPERMAN for what it is. It's still one of the very best superhero scores in film history, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But of course we love Williams' superman - and that era's superman, for what they are: true gems, pure classics. But it's been so many years, what's wrong with new approaches? It might work, or not, of course, it might be epic or crap, but whatever the case, it's up-to-date; it's nice to be nostalgic, we all are, but we shouldn't let it drag us back, imo.
  2. Again, the music in the first part of the trailer is MAN ON FIRE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Couldn't agree more with you, Demetris. It's so difficult with these longrunning franchises, though, because fans are so used to a certain style and want it to be "the same way" over and over again. Change it too much, and you alienate them. Change it too little, and you fail to get new fans with a contemporary preference.

I'd say the first approach is the best. You may alienate some reactionary fans, but at least you move things FORWARD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Who said being serious wasn't fun? Weren't Nolan's Batman films hugely fan?

Not really. I mean, The Dark Knight was an excellent film but fun wouldn't be the first thing that pops into my mind to describe it.

Demetris wrote
    Yes, we must face it that people and times change;

Obviously not because everyone is busy remaking movies from the past. If you truly want to change you move forward not backwards.

Demetris wrote
    The world is grimmer and darker now, just look around you.

Which is why you need escapist fun like The Avengers, Iron Man, Star Wars, Superman The Movie, etc. If I want doom and gloom I'll watch the news.

Demetris wrote
    Honestly, Williams' music does not fit with this, at all.

Williams music fits with the trailer but inserting the entire Williams score in this picture wouldn't make any Goddamn sense. But the theme could be used. And if you can get anyone to write quality music like dark material in the first third of the original film then you'd have something deeply powerful and incredibly emotional, which could fit Snyder and Nolan's vision of Superman. Imagine writing something that can live outside of the film as well and be enjoyed and remembered for many generations to come. Or you can write interchangeable generic music that functions but doesn't really have anything to say at all.

Anyway, we all know that it's a reboot and Williams material won't be anywhere near this film, I just hope it doesn't turn into another whaling woman, overly pretentious, Terrence Malick-like, deep retrospective of the Clark Kent character where we have to wait until the last reel before Superman shows up. The only reason that Superman's late appearance in the original film worked is that everything that came before it was so brilliantly done.

I'm really looking forward to the film even though the trailers don't impress me much. I like the Superman character a lot and I want to see how he is handled.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    Again, the music in the first part of the trailer is MAN ON FIRE.

Yeap, was wondering if it was Gladiator or Man on Fire but you're probably right here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't like the musical approach to the trailer either, at all; but the movie seems spectacular. Very eager to see this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Imagine writing something that can live outside of the film as well and be enjoyed and remembered for many generations to come.

I know you don't agree, but the Nolan Batman scores are already this to me. Well, obviously I can't say that about the generations part, but I don't see why they wouldn't be, and they certainly "live outside the film" to me, whatever precisely that means? They are powerful and unique and oh-so-gorgeous on a high end sound system.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I love them too, they are this generation's Batman scores, i am sure.
  3. Demetris wrote
    I love them too, they are this generation's Batman scores, i am sure.

I'm feeling old slant and wise! tongue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    Again, the music in the first part of the trailer is MAN ON FIRE.

i would say no. the first part of the vocals is elysium, but not the second. its a different arrangment. here the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrZHGgqY2XM

the beginning is almost identical.
  4. Just listened to the trailer again. Have to admit it's not MAN ON FIRE, but neither do I think it's GLADIATOR. Not even a different arrangement. It sounds similar to both but perhaps taken from another Gerrard album or score cue altogether.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The people at JWFAN seem to think it's this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4PqWjug … r_embedded

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

EDIT - Here it is!

-Erik-

It doesn't work for me. It's too forceful of a specific, victorious, and dare I say it "Positive" tone to match what seems like just an inward emotional ambivalence of this new Superman character. I enjoy the clarity that your concept provided. It made me really sure that the Christopher Reeves Superman theme will never work for this Nolan/Snyder version. It's just too different in thematic subtextual content.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Like I said it isn't perfect. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it either. I probably would have cut some stuff out and may have used a few different musical selections, sound effects, etc. This is what I had to use at the moment and I think Williams march rhythm helps Superman fly more so than the generic, bland, choral junk used in the trailer. And the whaling woman... please put a bullet in her!

Looking back on my cut... more positive is what I was going for! All this doom and gloom around Superman doesn't sit right with me so I wanted to change the tone! Superman is all about being positive! Being good. Fighting against tyranny. Fight for justice! People, especially kids look up to him. That's what I wanted change in the tone of the trailer. I wanted him to be a super-hero! Someone who saves the day. Sure, there's going to be some inner turmoil, I appreciate that (but thats' only PART of the character) but Superman is a colourful character (just look at the suit) and a hero of mythic proportions. He's larger than life and that's what Williams' Superman music brings to the table!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

EDIT - Here it is!

-Erik-

THAT

WAS

AWESOME!!!

It suddenly became a film I actually want to see!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Erik Woods wrote

EDIT - Here it is!

-Erik-

That trailer just made me order Armstrong's "Elizabeth: The Golden Age".
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    The people at JWFAN seem to think it's this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4PqWjug … r_embedded

-Erik-

Thanks Erik, that's it! They all sound the same Goddamnit!