• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Clips are now up at Amazon for Silva's upcoming 2-CD release of Doctor Who Season 5.

Gold sounds a bit more on form with this selection.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
    Eek! Just received the season 5 score in the mail today. I wasn't expecting it for at least another week, since it only comes out the 8th. I'm not that impressed as with the 2nd disc of the recently released 'specials', but there's certainly some good work on it. It's less varied though than the previous seasons. (Half-through impressions)
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    What's a good place to start with these Doctor Who CD's of Gold's? (I know you'll say Season 1 logically!!) But do you have any personal favourites amongst them?
  2. There are great tracks on each of those, so you can´t go wrong. There is, however, a constant rise in complexity and bombast regarding to the series´ main themes, so would, indeed, be better off starting with the score for Series 1&2 (it´s on one CD).

Additionally, the experience would be massively improved by watching the actual series first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    Each release has great tracks , so like Ralph said I would start with the music of Series 1&2 and work you way down to the specials ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010
    Thanks Ralph and Eric! Been meaning to try Gold's music for ages. Will grab the Season 1/2 disc shortly!
  3. Have you seen the series? If not, you really should, because only then you will realise how this music works and why, and it´s definitely worth a try. Though the first episode is not that great, it gets much better very fast. Last I checked the early New Who Seasons were available to watch for free - and legally - around the net from various sources. Just Google them.
  4. Seems there could be a mastering glitch on "I Am The Doctor" track on this release:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

Checking my downloaded track there is a silence towards the end of the cue and when the music does begin again the initial note is "clipped" short.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    Oh wow, a glitch on a 2010 soundtrack! How shocking! rolleyes *

*attitude directed at the trend, not at you
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. There does seem to be an increasing number of "mastering errors" recently.

Carelessness somewhere in the process due to too many projects on the go at the same time, pressure due to ambitious timelines or both?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Bah! It's the same issue on my cd! At first, I thought I had created a bad rip on my computer, but after listening directly to the cd it sounded the same. Some googling taught me that I'm not the only one, and I read somewhere that Silva Screen is going to replace the bad ones. I've emailed them, but I'm awaiting a reply.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  6. Rian wrote
    I've emailed them, but I'm awaiting a reply.

Me too. And me too.

They must be inundated with emails so it may take a while to reply to all. I've got downloaded tracks (off Amazon) but I decided to email Silva directly (I also have an account with them). I'm hoping that they'll just send on the specific track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Yep , same problem on my CD set ...
    Let's hope we'll get a replacement disc ...
  7. I think Murray Gold himself has twittered and said that this will be sorted out - though Silva are saying that there will be a couple of weeks delay before a repressing is available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    THX for the info Alan ... wink
    As long as we get a spanking new pressing , I'm a happy camper ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    Damn, as feared, it's on my CD too...and to add to the oddness and confusion, track 22 "Signora Rosanna Calvierri" seems to have been mixed....in mono? The hell?
    angry crazy

I've mailed Silva Screen through their web form, but no response yet.
    I'll give it a few days, then try the info@ mail address.

And the Season 4 Specials CDs contain some strange pops here and there.
    Not enough to really irritate or make me demand a new set, but in light of the above annoying/disappointing enough. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    Damn, as feared, it's on my CD too...and to add to the oddness and confusion, track 22 "Signora Rosanna Calvierri" seems to have been mixed....in mono? The hell?
    angry crazy

I got a generic email from Silva yesterday (I don't think that it was in response to my original email but is just a generic message) detailing what information to send them for a replacement CD to be shipped out - in about 2 weeks. Never mind that I bought this as a download - no mention yet what they are going to do about that. (Though I do see that they seem to be taking care of iTunes customers.)

As for the mono track, I'd read somewhere someone suggesting that the mono recording may have had something to do with the situation in which the music was heard? A bit like that song on Trevor Jones' From Hell that sounds really old before it segues to the orchestral track?

Silva aren't very good at responding to this kind of question. On an earlier Doctor Who release I emailed them because some of the strings on 1-2 tracks sounded "mono", i.e., they seemed located very centrally in the sound field (?) without any separation. Sill waiting for a reply to that enquiry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    As for the mono track, I'd read somewhere someone suggesting that the mono recording may have had something to do with the situation in which the music was heard? A bit like that song on Trevor Jones' From Hell that sounds really old before it segues to the orchestral track?

Well, I saw the episode, and as it's set in 18th century Venice I would say there's little to suggest considerations of diegetic use or function!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. But listening to it in mono doesn't the whole ambience that generates make you feel you were actually back there? Or at least make you think you are deaf in one ear?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause

First laugh-out-loud today.
    Thanks, Alan. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sharp, Alan biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fsmers would hate you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    angry crazy

I got a generic email from Silva yesterday (I don't think that it was in response to my original email but is just a generic message) detailing what information to send them for a replacement CD to be shipped out - in about 2 weeks.

I got the pretty much the same now, except they just said a replacement would be sent out in about ten days.
    No details on anything.

They surely are a secretive bunch. slant

Curious to see whether the replacement will indeed also include a new version of track 22.
  10. I've not heard anything more either. As far as I understand it, I'll be sent a "new" CD1 to replace my digital download equivalent.

I'm pretty sure that the mono track will not be any different - I'd imagine it's a "creative decision".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm pretty sure that the mono track will not be any different - I'd imagine it's a "creative decision".

One would expect some sort of justification in the liner notes then.
    In all seriousness, I severly doubt it.
    Looks and feels like sloppiness. Very disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    Aside from those gripes, it's a damn fine CD set as far as the music goes! Gold is in fine form!
    I didn't always like the music in the series proper (where at times I really thought it was abit overblown or too overly present), but as expected it works a treat on CD!
  11. Good point. All this is taking the focus off some good music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    Anybody got any news from Silva about a replacement disc ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    Nothing just yet.
  12. No. Nothing from them.

I've had a couple of reasons to contact Silva recently and have not heard anything back in terms of a personal dialogue (only generic and not very helpful emails or no contact at all). So my opinion of their customer service is pretty low at the moment.