• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    I bought it within like 5 minutes of seeing it up for sale on SAE because I wasn't sure if it was limited or not and I was afraid it would go away in like, record-setting time biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010 edited
    Is it worth to buy any other releases of Tadlow, together with Conan of course? Lawrence of Arabia or the other Jarre score for example?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jarre ? Why? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I've bought several Tadlow releases that I may not have otherwise bought. They represent quality presentations of these scores and are - to me anyway - the best way to get to know these scores so I can revisit them in the future to reassess them.

And you would be supporting a worthy endeavour.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All fine if you have the extra cash smile I think that releasing new scores is equally worthy too wink
  2. Obviously, this is only if you do have the extra cash. It's a matter of priorities.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. There aren't a lot of new scores out I hear that are worth paying for more than the average Maurice Jarre score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh..it's the week of big loud statements or what wink
  4. Ummm... I don't get it. What Jarre score has offended you so? confused
    He's easily up there with John Barry, Henry Mancini and Michel Legrand as a significant film composer of his time who had both technique (more technique than many modern players) and a knack for popular appeal. I don't always like his harmonies, but at least he has some.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jarre ? Why? wink

Oi! Watch it lad uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't have the slightest problem with Jarre; he's just not much into my league. And i found the "There aren't a lot of new scores out I hear that are worth paying for more than the average Maurice Jarre score. " a bit of an over-stretch, at least to me. Above all, i am teasing you though wink
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    There aren't a lot of new scores out I hear that are worth paying for more than the average Maurice Jarre score.

Opinions differ on that one!

For me, Jarre has yet to wow me with anything. I'd always prefer to listen to something his son produced. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    There aren't a lot of new scores out I hear that are worth paying for more than the average Maurice Jarre score.

Opinions differ on that one!

For me, Jarre has yet to wow me with anything. I'd always prefer to listen to something his son produced. wink

Thor's new best friend ever wink

Jarre is an incredible composer, a legend who thoroughly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Goldsmith, Barry, Bernstein, Williams etc though I do completely understand why his style isn't to everyones taste, being a true original is part of the territory I guess.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But see, thing is that everybody loves Goldsmith, Barry, Bernstein and Williams wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    But see, thing is that everybody loves Goldsmith, Barry, Bernstein and Williams wink

Not true! But I would say there's a far bigger majority of people who love those composers, Jarre is far more love him or hate him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't like Goldsmith as much as many other here or FSM do. He mostly leaves me cold actually. Omg!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I don't like Goldsmith as much as many other here or FSM do. He mostly leaves me cold actually. Omg!

Slide down a well oiled pole into the stygian fires of hell you will.

...or you would, if you'd posted at FSM wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    Is it worth to buy any other releases of Tadlow, together with Conan of course? Lawrence of Arabia or the other Jarre score for example?

Yes, yes, yes! El Cid is, IMHO, one of the finest re-recordings of all time! I think the 3CD set is sold out but the budget 2CD set is available. Exodus is simply magnificent and is the best sounding Prague recording I've ever heard. Lawrence is a lot to chew on but it's a Goddamn classic and plays wonderfully! And the second disc of extra is awesome to have! Lots of great music there! The Alamo also is a lot to handle. It's doesn't hold up as a start to finish complete listen but for some reason when I played it I couldn't turn it off. The Guns of Navarone and True Grit suffer from those bad early days Prague sonics. Grating to my ears. And Rozsa's The Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes was something I could never really get into.

So, if I were you I'd get El Cid, Lawrence and Exodus immediately!!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ha! I have El Cid already. The 3CD one.

I might get the Lawrence one (I loved the Milan compilation, but I don't have it (library)) too. Exodus I will have a listen to soundclips.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    EXODUS has one of the greatest film themes ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    The Guns of Navarone is awesome. My favourite 'golden age' soundtrack, and the 'Prague sonics' don't bother me at all, they're reduced to a minimum. Those are totally gone by the time of Lawrence of Arabia by the way. Both are worth getting. But the samples should provide you with enough concrete input.
  6. Timmer wrote

True, but I could never listen to the whole thing again... it's a little boring.

Anyway, the news about the new Conan is a welcome and exciting one. But I don't think I'll be getting it, because I really don't listen to Conan a lot anymore. It sure is an awesome piece of scoring but somehow I manage to always pick something else when I want to listen to something epic, brassy and powerful. I have the 92 Varese release and it's more then enough for me. I like it a lot, but I've never been able to call it a classic.

shocked

Can I pick up my shield before you slay me down with your sword?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What has me returning to the Conan score is that it plays more like a symphony than a film score. It's brimming with fully developed themes and explores all sorts of orchestral sounds. From the pounding percussion and heroic epic horns of the Crom theme, to the screeches and treacherous sound of "Wheel of Pain" the powerful choral music for The Riders of Doom, the elegance of the the Orgy, etc. Each pieces lives on its own but at the same time complements everything that came before it and after. It flows naturally from cue to cue and you don't need to see the movie to understand what is happening in the film as you can easily come up with the visuals on your own. It's one of the most imaginative film scores of all time and is musically story telling at its best.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It's so awesome that it contains practically every enjoyable Zimmerism, before Zimmer even started composing! dizzy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. Oh crap I'll download / listen to it to hear what everyone is going bananas over...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Conan score is simply mindblowing. Great choice, at last.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    What has me returning to the Conan score is that it plays more like a symphony than a film score. It's brimming with fully developed themes and explores all sorts of orchestral sounds. From the pounding percussion and heroic epic horns of the Crom theme, to the screeches and treacherous sound of "Wheel of Pain" the powerful choral music for The Riders of Doom, the elegance of the the Orgy, etc. Each pieces lives on it's own but at the same time complements everything that came before it and after words. It's flows naturally from cue to cue and you don't need to see the movie to understand what is happening in the film as you can easily come up with the visuals on your own. It's one of the most imaginative film scores of all time and is musically story telling at its best.

-Erik-

Absolutely, it's right up there with the likes of Williams Star Wars, Vaughan Williams Scott of The Antarctic, Goldsmith's Star Trek TMP.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

True, but I could never listen to the whole thing again... it's a little boring.

Anyway, the news about the new Conan is a welcome and exciting one. But I don't think I'll be getting it, because I really don't listen to Conan a lot anymore. It sure is an awesome piece of scoring but somehow I manage to always pick something else when I want to listen to something epic, brassy and powerful. I have the 92 Varese release and it's more then enough for me. I like it a lot, but I've never been able to call it a classic.

shocked

Can I pick up my shield before you slay me down with your sword?

You're gonna need a BIGGER shield. knight
  8. Hey man, go easy on me. I said I would download and listen to it okay? If I don't buy it after that I'll gladly leave my shield on the ground, so you can do your thing. wink