• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010
    yeap! I just noticed! I love those vinyls. Listening to them a lot. A patch of blue: tuesday 17 august 1982. Until september late 84. Agnes of god carries your name and address. Golden seal tuesday nov 1 1983. Summer of 42 tuesday 12 jan 82
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Wow Tim is quite old... tongue I was only in my Duran Duran period around that time hehe. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i was unborn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i was unborn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was a 5-year-old kid listening to The Smurfs! cheesy
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    i was unborn

Christodoulides wrote
    i was unborn

So you reckon you'll have the honour to die twice then?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Thor wrote

We have to start our love for music somewhere. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wow Tim is quite old... tongue I was only in my Duran Duran period around that time hehe. wink

cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    i was unborn

cry cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote

lol

Thankfully I was old enough to be listening to good music wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    yeap! I just noticed! I love those vinyls. Listening to them a lot. A patch of blue: tuesday 17 august 1982. Until september late 84. Agnes of god carries your name and address. Golden seal tuesday nov 1 1983. Summer of 42 tuesday 12 jan 82

*sigh* those were good days shame <--nostalgia
  4. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

lol

Thankfully I was old enough to be listening to good music wink

Hey c'mon Smurfs has good music...

(if your brain is 5)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    ORDERED!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010
    ordered smurfs? the little blue chick will be most happy with you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010 edited
    Actually, I've always got a thing for her.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh my word shocked wink
    • CommentAuthorShawnS
    Got this in the mail today. Listening to it now. This is one of the holy grails when it comes to film scores and even though it's a re-recording, I'm quite happy with this album.

Excellent sound quality and a great effort from Nic Raine and the City of Prague Orchestra. Some tracks sound a bit more grand than the way they sounded on the original score. On the other hand, some tracks sound a little off with some of the orchestrations and timing. Small, subtle changes here and there will most likely keep me from permanently replacing the Varese album. Whether Basil Poledouris really intended for the score to sound this way is something that we will never know. Regardless, I will consider this an excellent companion album which finally gives us a wonderful representation of the complete score for this film. Highly recommended! Here's hoping we get one for Conan The Destroyer as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ordered as well, together with Lawrence of Arabia!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    None of them are good. Maybe they couldn't secure the rights to the original artwork and/or Schwarzenegger's likeness.

-Erik-

I noticed that no where on the CD case or booklet is there a single image of Arnold S, my guess is that that would cost too much extra dollars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    ShawnS wrote
    Got this in the mail today. Listening to it now. This is one of the holy grails when it comes to film scores and even though it's a re-recording, I'm quite happy with this album.

Excellent sound quality and a great effort from Nic Raine and the City of Prague Orchestra. Some tracks sound a bit more grand than the way they sounded on the original score. On the other hand, some tracks sound a little off with some of the orchestrations and timing. Small, subtle changes here and there will most likely keep me from permanently replacing the Varese album. Whether Basil Poledouris really intended for the score to sound this way is something that we will never know. Regardless, I will consider this an excellent companion album which finally gives us a wonderful representation of the complete score for this film.

Indeed, I still prefer the performance of the original score, but this album is a great treat. Hearing the orchestral version of Riders of doom is a great experience. While the choir is wonderful, it does steal much of the attention from the orchestra, and without it, the piece is a very different experience.

ShawnS wrote
    Highly recommended! Here's hoping we get one for Conan The Destroyer as well.

I think we will; of course this depends on how well this album sells. That this is in their minds could explain why they added a piece from Conan the destroyer on this album.

A dream album would be if they combined Conan the destroyer with The adventures of Conan: Sword and sorcery spectacular. The latter has been heard by very few, but it contains some brilliant themes, completely in the Conan style.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010 edited
    I have the oddest sense of apotheosis.

Seriously.
    It's like everything I ever loved from film music has finally come together in one blinding zenith.

Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian has always been a score that has been very dear to me, its sheer massive power grounding and anchoring me more than once during time of trouble and woe. To experience it with such richness, such depth and clarity of sound is simply...well... this is what film music was supposed to do, and how it's supposed to sound. Pushing each and every emotional button, without any hesitation or apology. Thoroughly powerful and thoroughly emotional.

Oh, and the performance...have you ever experienced that feeling when a piece of music you love and are ultimately familiar with, is performed anew? That you sit there, feet clenched into balls, just thinking "please don't fuck this up. PLEASE don't fuck this up!"?
    Well, I was just one big ball of anxiety going into this recording.
    But segueing from those deep, amazingly quiet timpani at the beginning of the prologue into the thunderous full orchestral majesty of the main theme was just climactic. My anxiety gave way easily to immense surprise and elation, and a thorough sense of wonder that these days rather seldomly visits me.

Unbelievable as it may sound, Raine and the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra have topped their incredible, incredible work on EL Cid, and have lifted rerecordings to a new level of musical presentation and expertise. The sound design, mixing and production are flawless.
    And better still: they are magnificent, elevating the orchestra and chorus to really showcase the melody's strength and the instrument's sound colours.

I am quite serious: I don't know what I expect or need more from film music than this.
    Should there never be another film music CD produced, I would be ultimately happy with the collection I have now, with this release its crowning experience.

I have always been open to new music and new interpretations, and have enjoyed much.
    But it just never ever got quite as good as this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I'm STILL looking forward to hearing this...and the sense of anticipation increases daily!

You'd think that ordering this directly from Tadlow within hours of the announcement would have meant that this CD would have arrived relatively quickly. But I fear that they are sending them out alphabetically by country.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    Well...erm...to be frank, my copy is still in transit as well (bundled with the new release of Morricone's exquisite Red Sonja. It seemed fitting. smile ). But I couldn't contain my curiosity, anxiety and overall nigh-psychotic anticipation and availed myself -in a rare rejoining of the Instant Gratification Generation- of a rather-less-than-legal source to have a listen now. NOW. NOW!

That said, I've just ordered more copies to give away to people I know appreciate this but would never buy it (if they even knew it existed!).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    Well...erm...to be frank, my copy is still in transit as well (bundled with the new release of Morricone's exquisite Red Sonja. It seemed fitting. smile ). But I couldn't contain my curiosity, anxiety and overall nigh-psychotic anticipation and availed myself -in a rare rejoining of the Instant Gratification Generation- of a rather-less-than-legal source to have a listen now. NOW. NOW!

smile

And people wonder why downloading is so popular! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a stop-gap, though: I need to travel quite a bit over this weekend, and I really wanted this on my iPod before I left.
    smile

I know, I know, rationalisations abounding.
    Nevertheless, Tadlow is getting my money. Several times over, as said.
    And they're very, very, VERY welcome to it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I ordered mine from Tadlow but it arrived in two days in Silva Screen packaging.

I guess they acted as my nearest distributor?
  7. I may have to give them a call.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I ordered mine from Tadlow but it arrived in two days in Silva Screen packaging.

I guess they acted as my nearest distributor?

Same here Ant.

Have you listened to it yet?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I have the oddest sense of apotheosis.

Seriously.
    It's like everything I ever loved from film music has finally come together in one blinding zenith.

Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian has always been a score that has been very dear to me, its sheer massive power grounding and anchoring me more than once during time of trouble and woe. To experience it with such richness, such depth and clarity of sound is simply...well... this is what film music was supposed to do, and how it's supposed to sound. Pushing each and every emotional button, without any hesitation or apology. Thoroughly powerful and thoroughly emotional.

Oh, and the performance...have you ever experienced that feeling when a piece of music you love and are ultimately familiar with, is performed anew? That you sit there, feet clenched into balls, just thinking "please don't fuck this up. PLEASE don't fuck this up!"?
    Well, I was just one big ball of anxiety going into this recording.
    But segueing from those deep, amazingly quiet timpani at the beginning of the prologue into the thunderous full orchestral majesty of the main theme was just climactic. My anxiety gave way easily to immense surprise and elation, and a thorough sense of wonder that these days rather seldomly visits me.

Unbelievable as it may sound, Raine and the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra have topped their incredible, incredible work on EL Cid, and have lifted rerecordings to a new level of musical presentation and expertise. The sound design, mixing and production are flawless.
    And better still: they are magnificent, elevating the orchestra and chorus to really showcase the melody's strength and the instrument's sound colours.

I am quite serious: I don't know what I expect or need more from film music than this.
    Should there never be another film music CD produced, I would be ultimately happy with the collection I have now, with this release its crowning experience.

I have always been open to new music and new interpretations, and have enjoyed much.
    But it just never ever got quite as good as this.

Damn it Martijn but you say things I would like to say but you say them better using my own bleedin' language, I shall use my chagrin to have a pop at my old buddy Thor....yeah YOU! Now I do understand why you like your albums "a certain way" but the fact you're happy with the MILAN release of Conan just beggers belief.

Simply put old friend...

YOU'RE MISSING OUT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's stunning, breathtaking. I wholly agree with Martijn.