• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    Except for the prologue the Milan is the same as the original LP, however I can't compare it, sound wise, to anything as I've never owned it or heard it? The Varese is an excellent representation of the original score but listening to the Tadlow/Prometheus release you begin to realise how lacking the original was in it's recording and attention to detail.

Milan - ???

Varese - 9

Tadlow/Prometheus - 10
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    We need someone who has heard the three versions and gives us his valued opinion... Martijn?

And I suspect the new release to sound infinitely better than the Varèse, no? Not that it's horrible, but returning to it recently I found it a little flat.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn will say the same as me...GET THE NEW RELEASE!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. It's ordered mate, but just for comparing the three, I'd like to know, because I'm that big a nerd. And I've never heard the Milan release, maybe that's for the best.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm not someone who knows what they're talking about, but I've heard all 3 versions, and my opinion is that the sound quality of the original release is "better"* than the new release - however the actual performances on the new release are a lot nicer.

*the original is more raw, powerful, ancient-feeling...which i prefer...the new release sounds too clinical, and also has some distortion in some of the most intense parts...not that anybody but me cares about that cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. I've ordered it too. Did I mention that I've not received it yet? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes you did Alan wink Have I mentioned I'm still waiting for Red Sonja? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sound and performance-wise, the new release is the best hands down.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Scribe wrote
    *the original is more raw, powerful, ancient-feeling...which i prefer...the new release sounds too clinical, and also has some distortion in some of the most intense parts...not that anybody but me cares about that cool

I think I know what you mean by ancient-feeling... the same with the original Star Wars trilogy compared to the smoother, more modern sound of the newer trilogy. I prefer the harsher-sounding recordings of A New Hope and sequels to the prequels. Ah well, at least having another recording / interpretation of such great material should be enough reason for buying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sound and performance-wise, the new release is the best hands down.

I'd give the performance over to the original Italian orchestra... but the sound is much improved on the Prometheus re-recording!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i certainly don't want to be leveling and the original performance is top as well; but i found the new one much more modern, due to the sound as well. Also slightly more metered and of course a bit tighter and vigorous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    Agree with D. as far as the recording goes. It is more modern, but moreover -and winningly- it is big!
    BIG sound. BIG presence. Like I said before: it is how I always imagined this work to sound.

I find the Italian performance has powerful panache, but the skill level isn't always as steady as the Prague Orchestra shows. As far as that goes I go with the Nic Raine performance as well.

As far as the three issues go:
    Milan: 7 (I positively loathe that insepid prologue. "Onto this brow, the troubled horns of Aquilonia drank Conan..." URGH! Besides, it's nearly fifteen minutes shorter than the Varese release!
    Varese: 9.5 Excellent representation of the score. Fantastic recording...although to my ears it always sounded contained. I always wanted it to sound more expansive.
    Prometheus:: 9.9 Raine nailed it. According to Ford Thaxton James Fitzpatrick met with Poledouris to discuss the "Final Recording", and how it should sound. He got it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I find the brass lacking in parts epecially during the Riders of Doom sequence.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010 edited
    I find 'em bloody excellent! De gustibus non est disputandum. smile
    I can also understand Scribe's preference for the Varese recording.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    I can also understand Scribe's preference for the Varese recording.

When you compared Tadlow's Riders of Doom to the OST the Prague brass, in places, just aren't as sharp or as precise. But overall, it's still a solid album.

-Erik-
  4. Conan The Barbarian is in the house!!

I'm off to take a listen - with no interruptions...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HOORAH!

Now when is Red Sonja going to be in my house?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    how was it alan ?
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    I got it yesterday and gave it a quick listen. At first I thought it would be weird to hear a re-recording of a soundtrack that I know so well but so far so good. Better sound and better performance. Maybe it misses some of the raw, barbaric qualities of the original recording but that didn't bother me. Some of the new tracks aren't that interesting but it wouldn't be complete without them. Overall, it's an excellent release. smile
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    how was it alan ?

As mentioned above, "overall, it's an excellent release". I was a bit wary of hearing so many much-loved tracks from the original soundtrack re-recorded on this release but I was determined not to do too much comparing between the two (but it was unavoidable in places.)

But it's a wonderful release and it sounds great. Obviously there are subtle differences in passages that are very distinctive but, on the whole, the power of the orchestrations and the choir hits the ball out of the park in terms of getting across the feel of the score.

And I think that people really need to hear this one through speakers initially to really get the best out of the recording. The bass seemed to rumble through the house - and I don't have that great a system. I had to mute it at one point to make sure someone wasn't banging on the neighbour's front door!

When comparing this with the original (as I said it was unavoidable) there were subtle differences that I missed hearing again: maybe a specific strings line that wasn't as prominent here compared to the original or a brass emphasis that isn't so strong, etc) but these are minor quibbles.

I thought that the choir nailed some of the passages very well indeed making it almost a spiritual experience. The ethereal choral passage during "The Gift of Fury" and especially at the beginning of "Orphans of Doom" were beautiful. And the latter example especially is just as good as anything Howard Shore composed for The Lord of The Rings.

I'm listening to it again on headphones after having ripped it to 320kbps mp3s and it all sounds just great. Not as full (e.g., in the bass) as through the speakers but that's more a failing of my set up rather than anything to do with the recording.

I'd heartily recommend this to anyone.

Now I can settle down and consider my choice for 1982...