• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    I first came across Rachel Portman’s music in the film The Joy Luck Club at the movie theater and then went on to get the movie when it came out on vhs. I was absolutely amazed by the emotional impact of the score in the movie. Some might find that it underlines too much what is already there on the screen but for me, Portman does it the old fashioned way- emotional music, lyrical and present.
    After I read Christian Clemmensen positive review of Only You, I bought the score then I was hooked on her music.

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/only_you.html

Rachel Portman often writes for romantic comedies, sometimes for dramas and has a signature of her own. Her talent shines with her memorable themes, effervescent bubbly string writing and very often with her character-driven underscore.

Portman talked about her music: Happy, sad, bitter, sweet. I think there is an element of undercutting. It's never just one thing. I don't know--this is what other people have told me. It's never entirely happy or never entirely sad. There's always some hope in there with the sad or if it's happy or funny, there's always a little edge there around the corner that keeps it from being completely funny. That's how I would describe it emotionally. I use a lot of woodwinds... The other thing is I write melodic music. That's very important to me. Having a theme.

She was nominated a few times for the Oscars: The Cider House Rules and Chocolat. She won the Oscar for Emma. She was born on December the 11th so happy birthday Rachel!

Next project; Little House on the Prairie the musical.
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=22959
  1. Rachel Portmas is a kinda composer I like because her voice just instantly grabbed me. And even if the last couple of years she hasn't written anything in the grandeur ala Legend of Bagger Vance and Cider House Rules, she still know how to touch the heart. I honestly would like to see her doing something different for a change, what about an action of thriller?

Those woodwinds would come in handy there too wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007 edited
    She really touched my heart with the so underrated score for Beloved; truly a brilliant, touching gem (so if you haven't heard it yet; go out and do so!). The African children's choir in That's Ohio never fails to get me.

I also liked Oliver Twist and all, but Beloved will always remain my favorite work of her, not in the least because it's so wildly different then anything she has done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007 edited
    She is indeed a very fresh and distinct voice in the world of film music.One of the few female composers.Well,I'm not a feminist but this is something that is always bothering me.The lack of female composers and directors for that matter.But perhaps we'll discuss about it in a seperate topic. smile

Chocolat and Emma are my favorites.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. BobdH wrote
    She really touched my heart with the so underrated score for Beloved; truly a brilliant, touching gem (so if you haven't heard it yet; go out and do so!). The African children's choir in That's Ohio never fails to get me.

I also liked Oliver Twist and all, but Beloved will always remain my favorite work of her, not in the least because it's so wildly different then anything she has done.

Beloved I heard indeed, that choir is really a wonderful touch and its indeed a different score than we're used to from her
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    What a timely launch of this thread, here is some news:

Rachel is scoring THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … eling.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MY GOD! They're making a sequel?!?! Like the first crap wasn't enough? And the fact that they got Eidelman out is something i don' like either. His score for the first one was nothing special yes, but very sweet and sentimental.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Bad movie idea, great choice for composer (though it might now make Cliff terribly happy).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorLéon
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Rachel Portmas is a kinda composer I like because her voice just instantly grabbed me. And even if the last couple of years she hasn't written anything in the grandeur ala Legend of Bagger Vance and Cider House Rules, she still know how to touch the heart. I honestly would like to see her doing something different for a change, what about an action of thriller?

Those woodwinds would come in handy there too wink

She did The Manchurian Candidate and I think that worked out quite well... I'd also like to see her doing more diverse projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    ^ Yeah, that was pretty good. Dark and brooding, but repetitive. My favorite score by her to date is THE HUMAN STAIN.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    BobdH wrote

Beloved I heard indeed, that choir is really a wonderful touch and its indeed a different score than we're used to from her

That is a very good score -part of my top Portman essentials with: The Joy Luck Club, The Cider House Rules, Only You, The Legend of Baggar Vance and The Truth About Charlie. This last one only has one score cue on the Cd release and the movie is plastered wall to wall with songs unfortunately. It is so difficult to distinguish her score in there. The score features some wonderful singing by Natasha Atlas, some exciting parts for percussion and yet another "perfect" memorable theme.
  4. The Truth About Charlie, The Human Stain, The Manchurian Candidate, Beloved, the theme from Hart's War, and Joy Luck Club are the essential Portman scores for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    She writes lovely themes, but she lets them go on and on and on to the extent that they wear out their welcome.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    MY GOD! They're making a sequel?!?! Like the first crap wasn't enough? And the fact that they got Eidelman out is something i don' like either. His score for the first one was nothing special yes, but very sweet and sentimental.

But Demetris... these films AREN'T for you. There is a loyal following of the books so why not take advantage of that and make a few films. The first one was successful enough that they are making another one. And I'm sure we are going to get a sweet score from Portman repeating her one and only famous theme over and over again... wink

As for Eidelman being out... well, there's a new director on board who wasn't to work with Portman.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    The Truth About Charlie, The Human Stain, The Manchurian Candidate, Beloved, the theme from Hart's War, and Joy Luck Club are the essential Portman scores for me.

You are forgetting one...

The Cider House Rules. <-- My fav Portman score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    Hey Alan, what do you think of Hart's War after having heard the whole score?
    The main theme is a must-have on it's own of course, but I like the rest of the score as well. Very Portman-ish too. Listening to it right now.
    :solo-trumpet:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    Thor wrote
    She writes lovely themes, but she lets them go on and on and on to the extent that they wear out their welcome.

Indeed. Some of her themes are really, really lovely. I couldn't listen to any of her full albums from start to finish if they were the only music in the world.
  5. Bregje wrote
    Hey Alan, what do you think of Hart's War after having heard the whole score?
    The main theme is a must-have on it's own of course, but I like the rest of the score as well. Very Portman-ish too. Listening to it right now.

I love thr main theme but I also enjoy the whole CD. I don't know enough of Portman's for it to sound "Portman-ish" - a composer's style needs to be very obvious for me to recognise it in scores - and I'm pleased to have Hart's War.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2008
    New project:

Rachel Portman: The Duchess

Rachel Portman, the Academy Award-winning composer of Emma, The Cider House Rules and Chocolat, is currently working on the score for The Duchess, the 18th century drama starring Keira Knightley as aristocrat Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire.

More info at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … chess.html

----

This will surely be very interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    This will surely be very interesting!

Really? I could already hum you the entire score and she hasn't even written it yet (or at least, not under its new name). wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008
    No you don't. This time she might use a violin instead of a piano.

Or a harp

..or a flute?

Oh wait..
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008 edited
    Could anyone deny her any access to the orchestra? As soon as she returns to the experimental writing of the sublime Beloved, I'm paying attention to her again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Whatchall think of her Nicholas Nickleby score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very nice... but sounds like all the others!
  6. I want to see her branch out into interesting areas like she almost did with "Flightplan".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    wink
  7. I don't get the smiley, D. I really do want her to.
  8. THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2
    Original Motion Picture Score

Music Composed by Rachel Portman

Amber Tamblyn, America Ferrera, Blake Lively and Alexis Bledel reunite onscreen this summer as the lifelong best friends audiences fell in love with four years ago.

Based on Ann Brashares’ best-selling series of novels about four young women who share an unbreakable bond through the unpredictable events of their lives, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 catches up with Tibby (Amber Tamblyn of Joan Of Arcadia), Carmen (America Ferrera of Ugly Betty), Bridget (Blake Lively of Gossip Girl) and Lena (Alexis Bledel of The Gilmore Girls) in the months following their first year of college. Having been apart all year, their plans for the summer will take them even further along separate paths as each experiences the freedom, love, choices and challenging life lessons that mark their individual journeys toward adulthood. Now, it will take more than a hurried note or even a treasured pair of pants passed back and forth among them to keep their lives connected.

For Tibby, Carmen, Bridget and Lena, communication was always as easy as breathing. Now, new priorities and rapid changes make it harder for them to keep in touch. Messages are sometimes missed … or misunderstood. But when it matters most, they will still reach out to those who know them best. Finding a way to share their experiences as they always have, with heart and humor, they will come to value more than ever the immeasurable power of their friendship.

The spirited and tuneful score is by Academy Award-winning composer Rachel Portman (Emma).

Warner Bros. Pictures opens The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 nationwide this August 6.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 918 2
    Release Date: 07/29/08
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Hi guys,

do like Portman scores: road to wellville is REALLY GREAT fun!!! I love Ciderhouse Rules and adore 'Chocolat' & 'Only You'. For me her best 2 efforts so far. Strange you guys haven't have these on the lists. :p

But this aside, I do think it's all much of the same. And how lovely the tunes are, they are very similar. As for her more dramatic work, I think it's not very mature if you compare it to other composers. So, I hope she would challenge herself more often instead of stick to the things she knows that work. ( same rhytms, orchestrations and such )...

grtz, Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    I always felt like listening to THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (Surprisingly dark and brooding score for a Portman), INFAMOUS, THE LAKE HOUSE and THE HUMAN STAIN. The rest - with some exceptions - is usually too saccharine for me.