• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, I own the CD and the review still doesn't answer the question.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    Couldn't you just listen to the CD so you can hear for yourself?
  2. I did -- as pointed out in the Now Playing thread. Perhaps you didn't understand when I asked what kind of "musical style" it is.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorknight
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    What kind of musical style is the score for "Benny & Joon"?

The style is mostly playful, rather like a circus.
    The love theme is very nice.
    What would the world be like without Music...
  3. I'm trying to make up my mind about Hart's War, on the one hand, it's well constructed, but on the other hand, it's not really that memorable in the underscore's own right.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. Portman can be very boring. There's always some very nice stuff, but does it hold sway until the end?

Best ones, for me: Manchurian Candidate, Beloved, Cider House Rules and - although it's repetitive (as are they all) - The Human Stain.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    Portman can be very boring. There's always some very nice stuff, but does it hold sway until the end?

Best ones, for me: Manchurian Candidate, Beloved, Cider House Rules and - although it's repetitive (as are they all) - The Human Stain.

Not The Legend of Bagger Vance?
  6. Lovely theme. The themes are always lovely. I don't think it holds for the whole album.

Hart's War has one of her best themes actually (track 1), but like you, I don't go through with the whole album often.

Truth About Charlie isn't bad, now that I think about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Lovely theme. The themes are always lovely. I don't think it holds for the whole album.

Hart's War has one of her best themes actually (track 1), but like you, I don't go through with the whole album often.

What he said. I sold the album a few years ago. Theme is great, rest of the album is dull. Same with CHOCOLAT and CIDER HOUSE RULES.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    Lovely theme. The themes are always lovely. I don't think it holds for the whole album.

The last two cues on Hart's War are also very good, perhaps you should listen to it again?
  8. The second last cue is the first cue, with a slightly different trumpet line and build-up. I do enjoy it though. And I don't mind the theme in the last track, although it's also in the third track, I think?
  9. The theme is in second track.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    KevinSmith wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Portman can be very boring. There's always some very nice stuff, but does it hold sway until the end?

Not The Legend of Bagger Vance?

I think The Legend of Bagger Vance is her most diverse score. She does tend to sound repetitive (in a Debbie Wiseman kind of way) Her real strength are her themes like Hart's War. Spine tingling. She is one of the few composers out there that consistently comes up with strong themes. Melody is her strongest point and she has her own distinct and inimitable style. Perhaps, her music would be better shown on a 2CD compilation. Like Mikael once said, she is a one-trick pony. That is partly true. she has more layers than that, you just have to go further into her body of work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010 edited
    Tintin wrote
    Her real strength are her themes like Hart's War. Spine tingling.

One of her themes for Hart's War is one of the saddest I've ever heard.

I've never seen the movie and so I don't know anything about it's associations - part of me doesn't want to see the movie as I don't want the theme to be "spoilt"!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010
    New project released on cd, typical Portman territory:

Never Let Me Go [Rachel Portman]
    http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … tman-.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Can't wait for LLL release of "Storyteller", seems that will be released in October.

My fav of her is "Only You", no doubt... biggrin
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010
    RACHEL PORTMAN - never let me go

SOUND CLIPS
    http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … tman-.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    New scores for PORTMAN

Bel Ami
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.
    The Vow

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … -projects/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    NEVER LET ME GO Is quite beautiful...anyone else heard it and can comment?
  11. I've listened to some of the tracks and I particularly like the yearning violin and cello solos. I'm always a sucker for cello solos.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here. You are familiar with AMALIA from this year, i am sure smile
  12. Christodoulides wrote
    Same here. You are familiar with AMALIA from this year, i am sure smile

I am - though I've not had a chance to have a good listen to it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011 edited
    Yes, NEVER LET ME GO is a wonderful score and works extremely well within the movie. It's quite a difficult film to approach, but Portman does a very good job in underscoring the (naivety?) of the characters in a lightness of touch, instead of the weight of the story (you'll know what I mean once you've seen the film, and I'm sure it'll have added dramatic effect after you've seen it!). The final cue, We All Complete, left a whole row of girls crying, and anyone who achieves that does something very well *.

* Disclaimer: Within the boundaries of the movie theatre!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    [edit]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "sparkling gay vampire"?

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I realized that was another movie, not this one. Bob is the film worth it, granted i don't have boobs?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oi! You EDITED it! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, believe me, I don't have boobs either, and I loved it. Thing is, looking like an English boarding school drama with Keira Knightly and a score by Rachel Portman, it gives the completely wrong impression of the kind of film it is. But that's good, because the actual story should hit you by surprise. I don't want to give anything away, but the first 20 min., it's a light English drama. Then it shifts into a film about ethics, life and death, and you suddenly understand why Mark Romanek (One Hour Photo, remember) and Alex Garland (28 Days Later, The Beach, Sunshine) bothered to make this film. This is not an easy movie.

I think it flopped because people were expecting something entirely else (the preview at the film festival was full of girls as well), but it is rather un-mainstream in its story and requires a critical viewer not to bluntly accept what is presented (you need to be able to go against what the film seems to be saying, and not expect big emotional gestures - the characters accept their fate in a difficult to understand way). It's too bad it kind of flopped in America, but I'm hoping for a little more intelligent audience in Europe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A film for boob people, eh? I knew there was a benefit of not having worked out for a year...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounds good Bob smile