• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2010
    So it was before he discovered the endless 0,1 km/h steadycams and the slow-mo effect in montage? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Badlands is excellent. Here's my review:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BobdH wrote
    It's pretty good, like a much better and more contemplative version of Bonnie and Clyde. Yet it's also the least Malickian film of his. It's obvious his style really developed come Days of Heaven on, and Thin Red Line specifically, even though it still has a very fine pacing. If you love him as a director, you need to see this of course, even if its just to be able to say you've seen all his films. wink But don't expect the usual Tarkovsky-like Malick tricks.

A perfect summary! I think it's a really good film, but without a lot of the touches that define the director's later output.
  1. I think what Badlands has in its favour is a kind of irony that the others lack. Somehow it's not so unusual to treat a war film (line), a historical epic (new world) or a widescreen chamber piece (days) in that poetic style. But to treat the story of lovers who commit a string of murders that way -- now that's an interesting way to tell that story.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Haven't seen Badlands; any good?

It's excellent! Rent it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Haven't seen Badlands; any good?

It's excellent! Rent it.

Besides, it features Hans Zimmer's True Romance theme tongue tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011 edited
    For you Malick fans, try this!

Terrence Malick Cutaway or Nature Documentary?
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbe … ntary.aspx

(to make it harder, turn off the music smile )
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    New development: if you liked THE TREE OF LIFE, you're a follower of Satan.

There.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Not to rub salt in Desplat's wounds, but one of the major sources of the music in the film -- the piano renditions by Hannan Townsend of the film's classical music references -- is now available to some extent as a digital album.

http://www.terrencemalick.org/2011/08/m … ee-of.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    I just returned from a press screening of this film here in Norway. Wow. I need some time to let it sink in before I comment on the film.

I'm thinking about doing a montages article on the use of music, but it's quite bewildering, as I only recognized a couple of the classical pieces. The challenge remains in finding out what the other pieces were, and where they were used, in addition to Desplat's score. Seems like I have the work cut out for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    It's here in the Desplat thread:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … t/#Item_22

The main pieces (those that are used more then 10 seconds for example wink ) you can find here:
    http://flightoftherobin.tumblr.com/post … flifemusic
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote
    It's here in the Desplat thread:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … t/#Item_22

The main pieces (those that are used more then 10 seconds for example wink ) you can find here:
    http://flightoftherobin.tumblr.com/post … flifemusic

Thanks, but the main challenge is not to find out what pieces were being used (that's in imdb too), but what pieces went WHERE! Perhaps I'll post a list of the scenes I want to highlight, but don't know the music, and then someone can help from there.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Happy to assist in that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited
    Can anyone (franz?) help me identify which cues were used in the following scenes? Please be aware of spoilers in the following, if you haven't seen it!

* Opening – choral piece?
    * the notice of the son’s death - troubled string piece?
    * The creation – I assume that’s Preisner’s “Lacrimosa”, as that’s what the choir sings!
    * The sequence surrounding the love and pregnancy – classical piece?
    * The growing up montage 1 – classical piece?
    * The growing up montage 2 – classical piece, very famous, but I can’t put my finger on it. Sounds like Vaughan Williams, but I know it’s not
    * When the boy prays – piano piece?
    * Brad Pitt plays piano 1 +2 – I assume that’s Bach on both of those occasions
    * The oldest boy rebels against his mother – classical piece?
    * The moving sequence – choral piece?
    * Epilogue – an “Agnus Dei” or “Requiem” of some sort?

Also, can anyone pinpoint certain moments of Desplat's score (not all of them, but some of the more striking)?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote

* Opening – choral piece? --> Tavener 'Funeral Canticle'
    * the notice of the son’s death - troubled string piece? --> section of Mahler's Symphony No 1, Movement 1, somewhere in the opening minutes of the piece
    * The creation – I assume that’s Preisner’s “Lacrimosa”, as that’s what the choir sings! --> Indeed
    * The sequence surrounding the love and pregnancy – classical piece? --> Rossini's piece in the film (see the list in the Desplat thread, it is mentioned there)
    * The growing up montage 1 – classical piece? --> That could be a few things, but probably Holst's 'Hymn to Dionysus'
    * The growing up montage 2 – classical piece, very famous, but I can’t put my finger on it. Sounds like Vaughan Williams, but I know it’s not --> Probably Smetana's 'The River' / 'Vltava' from 'My Country'. Very famous.
    * When the boy prays – piano piece? --> Couperin's piece in the film (see list in Desplat thread -- the title is a bit complication to remember off the top of my head)
    * Brad Pitt plays piano 1 +2 – I assume that’s Bach on both of those occasions --> I'm not sure, I think so.
    * The oldest boy rebels against his mother – classical piece? --> I don't think so. This is a mixture of Hanan Townsend and Desplat's original cues.
    * The moving sequence – choral piece? --> I think this is part of Berlioz's 'Agnus Dei', might be another Tavener though
    * Epilogue – an “Agnus Dei” or “Requiem” of some sort? --> Berlioz 'Agnus Dei'

Also, can anyone pinpoint certain moments of Desplat's score (not all of them, but some of the more striking)?

Moments of Desplat.
    --> Apology to brother after shooting him -- harp, followed by strings (a rare full desplat cue) ('Clouds')
    --> Father goes to the court -- electronic bass piece, with string section ('Emergence of Life')
    --> I think in the scene in the neighbour's house with the underwear, there's a bit of Desplat's use of violin in 'Good and Evil', along with some of the drone of 'Temptation'. A bit of the gentle 'Awakenings' can be heard shortly after.
    There are sections in the childhood section where it will be dialed up for 20-30 seconds or so at a time, along with some other original pieces by Hanan Townsend.
    To be honest, I would still like to see the film at some point with a sense of what the Desplat would have done to the tone of the film. In toning down the romanticism, would it have left the film a bit flat? I suspect not, I think probably both score and the final soundtrack were valid, but it would be interesting to put to the test.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited
    Thanks!! You're awesome, franz, and I'll be sure to thank you at the end of the text should the article for montages ever get off its feet.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. No worries! This is an area where I probably know a bit too much for my own good. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    No worries! This is an area where I probably know a bit too much for my own good. smile

in instances like this you can never know too much.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    When you said Rossini for the pregnancy scenes, did you mean Resphighi, franz? I can't find any Rossini in your previous list.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Sorry, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    I'm going into the Norwegian radio program "The Culture House" on NRK in two hours to talk about TREE OF LIFE and poetic film. This is like the BBC of Norway, so big audience. A bit nervous, since I'm not as steady in poetic film history as I am, say, film music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited
    Finished. It went well, even though my co-debatant spoke so much, I hardly got to say anything. She's was against, I was pro TREE OF LIFE. But it was an hour-long program, only interrupted by segments and songs, so I stilll got time to say a few things.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. There are a lot of people against TREE OF LIFE out there. I was catching up with another filmmaker last night, and when I mentioned I'd been to see TREE a few times during its release (he hadn't yet seen it), he said I was pretty much the only film-connected person he knew that actually really liked the film in more than a grudging way. In a way that doesn't surprise me because of its operatic aspirations, and Christian themes, which both can be a bit of a challenge if you're not into those thing, but I would have thought the sheer filmcraft would have conquered all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011 edited
    I'm still to see it.
    I'm sure you're awaiting my unbiased, openminded opinion with bated breath.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Ah, it's just a film. I act like it's more important some times, but your opinion means more to me than any film could. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011 edited
    Funny you should say that, franz. My co-debatant (a film critic for Norway's biggest newspaper) called it "Christian kitch".
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Actually, I saw a beautiful film tonight. '13 Assassins'.

Samurai kitsch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    TREE OF LIFE and Malick's musical montages:

http://montages.no/2011/09/tree-of-life … montasjer/

Thanks again, franz! You get a special thank you at the end there.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Tip of the hat to you.

I just hope you said nice things about my favourite working film composer. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    Tip of the hat to you.

I just hope you said nice things about my favourite working film composer. wink

I did, actually, but commented on his difficult position.
    I am extremely serious.