• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited
    I used to play a lot of games in the early and mid 90's, in particular, before I moved away from home in 1996. So my experience with computer games pretty much stops there. My favourites were adventure games from Lucasarts, Sierra etc., and the music within them.

What are your favourites from this era?

It's hard to pick, but of all the brilliant Lucasarts ones, I'd have to go with THE DIG, one of my alltime favourite soundtracks, period.

In the Sierra mold, I'd have to go with GABRIEL KNIGHT 2: THE BEAST WITHIN or the gothic darkness of the PHANTASMAGORIA games.

I also like George Oldziey's MIDI sci fi score for WING COMMANDER III, as well as the moody scores by Robyn Miller for the insanely difficult puzzle games MYST and RIVEN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Dude, you've just made my day with this topic. Where to begin... shocked

Wing Commander III and IV (George Oldziey), those bring back memories of good old-fashioned sci-fi drama with good actors like Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, John Rhys-Davies, cheesy looking sets, and decent effects (at least for such low-budget projects). For me the music stood out, it may have been cheap-sounding midi tunes, but at least there were some memorable themes. I remember watching the intro from WC IV again and again, just to hear the cool opening music. And the finale music is pretty emotional, again if you listen past the synthy approach.

The Dig (Michael Land), absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful, a truly original work that still to this day sounds fresh. The game was groundbreaking, as it was one of the first really interesting sci-fi stories that delved a little deeper than the usual 'hero goes to battle in unknown worlds blasting the shit out of numerous enemies'. There was actually a very human side to The Dig and it still holds warm memories of good puzzling and intricate storytelling. The music helped create an ambience unlike any other game. beer

The Lucasarts adventures like the Monkey Island series had some good music too, and don't forget Outlaws by Clint Bajakian, a true hommage to Morricone in more than a couple of tracks.

Command & Conquer (Frank Klepacki) has some tunes in a trance / industrial rock style with a cool vibe, and Dune 2000 does have a more symphonic edge, despite being synthesized as well, but I like the sound of it.

Then there's the music of Final Fantasy (Nobuo Uematsu). Tunes like One-Winged Angel (FF VII), Liberi Fatali (FF VIII), the opera from FF VI: groundbreaking stuff for videogame music if you ask me. I could post many more tracks but suffice it to say that the Final Fantasy music by the Mr. Williams of videogame music is highly memorable and brilliant, especially in their orchestrated versions. I've just bought the Distant Worlds albums, with concert pieces performed by the Royal Stockholm Orchestra and featuring choir in some of the cues from practically all the Uematsu FF's up to part eleven. Rousing stuff. punk

Then there's Medal of Honor by Giacchino, which everybody knows I guess. The first encounter with Giacchino and a love affair since then.

And then a little known Belgian company released an adventure game in 1999 that would win the hearts and minds of many gamers worldwide, the game is called Outcast, an ambitious game featuring a stunning world, varied gameplay and incredible orchestral music. Composed by Lennie Moore, it's one of my favourite soundtracks of all time, and any self-respecting fan of thematically rich works should have this one in their collection. Amazing doesn't even describe it. punk punk

There is so much more great game music out there, but they're pretty obscure and the composers aren't the most well-known out there. Needless to say I've always been terribly fascinated by videogame music, and in recent years, there has been a really incredible output quality-wise , surpassing film scores at times.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wing Commander III and IV (George Oldziey), those bring back memories of good old-fashioned sci-fi drama with good actors like Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, John Rhys-Davies, cheesy looking sets, and decent effects (at least for such low-budget projects). For me the music stood out, it may have been cheap-sounding midi tunes, but at least there were some memorable themes. I remember watching the intro from WC IV again and again, just to hear the cool opening music. And the finale music is pretty emotional, again if you listen past the synthy approach.

WC3 was really where I first recognized the socalled "fluttering sci fi chords", i.e. strings running quickly up and down the scale, if you know what I mean (to connote the vastness of space, I don't know). Interestingly, my favourite part of this game was not the missions or the flight simulations, but the film bits and walking around the space ship to suck up the atmosphere (the distant sound of ship engines etc.).

The Dig (Michael Land), absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful, a truly original work that still to this day sounds fresh. The game was groundbreaking, as it was one of the first really interesting sci-fi stories that delved a little deeper than the usual 'hero goes to battle in unknown worlds blasting the shit out of numerous enemies'. There was actually a very human side to The Dig and it still holds warm memories of good puzzling and intricate storytelling. The music helped create an ambience unlike any other game. beer

It's just fantastic, and one of - if not THE - best atmospheres I've ever encountered in a game, and the music deserves much of that credit. I have the soundtrack album, as well as the "rips" from the game itself (which also has some gems).

The Lucasarts adventures like the Monkey Island series had some good music too, and don't forget Outlaws by Clint Bajakian, a true hommage to Morricone in more than a couple of tracks.

Yes, indeed. Some great music there. So far, it only exists as PC rips. I wish someone made a great album out of it, like they did with THE DIG.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I checked out The Dig only recently, it's really wonderful. smile

Did any of you play the Sonic The Hedgehog games on Sega Game Gear and Genesis? Those had very simplistic audio chips but the tunes are incredibly catchy and among my favourites even today. Bobby Prince did some really good MIDI scores for Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Biomenace, DemonStar (yep, I loved this game biggrin ) too. I got introduced to Michael Giacchino's MOH scores and some of the Final Fantasy music much later, love them today.

One very obscure score special to me is the music from Toy Story 2: Action Game by Andy Blythe and Marten Joustra, sampled but very well-done tunes with some great individual boss themes.
  1. Have I got a different CD to everyone else when it comes to The Dig? It's completely unremarkable to my ears!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Have I got a different CD to everyone else when it comes to The Dig? It's completely unremarkable to my ears!!

Well, there's no accounting for taste! wink

Seriously, I love the fact that it includes these vast, Wagnerian harmonies with delicious synth textures...it's just so otherworldly and spiritual. Tracks like "Monument" and "Cathedral of the Lost" are wonderful examples of my beloved religious sound.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Clint Bajakian's TIE Fighter, the change of perspective to Imperial in the game, made Bajakian work out things like a terrorist-like arrangement of the Rebel Fanfare and a heroic version of the constantly appearing Imperial March. Also the new heroic fanfare for the Empire is a hoot!

The score is MIDI only, but still quite great. The usage of LucasArts' iMUSE method, which uses certain material dependant on the events in the game (you get into a dogfight - action music, etc.) makes the game the success it was in a huge part.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    DemonStar wrote
    Did any of you play the Sonic The Hedgehog games on Sega Game Gear and Genesis? Those had very simplistic audio chips but the tunes are incredibly catchy and among my favourites even today.

Boy did I ever... I still occasionaly play those for nostalgia's sake, and to hear the catchy music. The very first game on Genesis / Mega Drive has the most memorable tunes, Green Hill Zone, Marble Zone, Spring Yard Zone, Starlight Zone... Wonderful. Whoops, that's the geek talking here. biggrin

There is actually a suite Sonic music which is found on Video Games Live (their second CD offering). Check out the clip and your smile will raise. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Clint Bajakian's TIE Fighter, the change of perspective to Imperial in the game, made Bajakian work out things like a terrorist-like arrangement of the Rebel Fanfare and a heroic version of the constantly appearing Imperial March. Also the new heroic fanfare for the Empire is a hoot!

The score is MIDI only, but still quite great. The usage of LucasArts' iMUSE method, which uses certain material dependant on the events in the game (you get into a dogfight - action music, etc.) makes the game the success it was in a huge part.

Ah yes, both TIE FIGHTER and DARK FORCES made me MORE familiar with the STAR WARS scores than the actual soundtracks, mostly because whenever Bajakian et.al. settled into a certain fragment of Williams' score, they kept repeating it and modulating it within the gameplay. Like that little motif for the "mouse robot" that was all over it. Fun stuff! I didn't play these that much myself, though (I get too nervous when I play simulators and/or shoot'em'ups), mostly watched a friend of mine play them - at our place! :D So it became almost like watching a film.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Have I got a different CD to everyone else when it comes to The Dig? It's completely unremarkable to my ears!!

Seriously, I love the fact that it includes these vast, Wagnerian harmonies with delicious synth textures...it's just so otherworldly and spiritual. Tracks like "Monument" and "Cathedral of the Lost" are wonderful examples of my beloved religious sound.

yeah You said it Thor.

And a shame you found it unremarkable Alan, because it really isn't. shocked
  4. Thor wrote
    Clint Bajakian's TIE Fighter, the change of perspective to Imperial in the game, made Bajakian work out things like a terrorist-like arrangement of the Rebel Fanfare and a heroic version of the constantly appearing Imperial March. Also the new heroic fanfare for the Empire is a hoot!

Ah yes, both TIE FIGHTER and DARK FORCES made me MORE familiar with the STAR WARS scores than the actual soundtracks, mostly because whenever Bajakian et.al. settled into a certain fragment of Williams' score, they kept repeating it and modulating it within the gameplay. Like that little motif for the "mouse robot" that was all over it. Fun stuff! I didn't play these that much myself, though (I get too nervous when I play simulators and/or shoot'em'ups), mostly watched a friend of mine play them - at our place! :D So it became almost like watching a film.

Tie Fighter, brilliant game that one, to have this fantastic space combat from the imperial side was a dream come true for Star Wars fans, especially the ones that find old Darth the big badass that he is. I still remember how the music played out during the game, midi tunes and all, if these were somehow upconverted with orchestra, they wouldn't sound out of place in the SW universe, I think. Good memories.
  5. No, they wouldn't. When I have some time, I plan to patch the score through superior samples.
  6. I would like to add one I've encountered over the years and you guys into game music should check it out. I've never heard of the game, it's from japanese origin but the music is totally amazing: the album is called Ogre: Grand Repeat, and there's some info here. Definitely worth a download / purchase.
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    No, they wouldn't. When I have some time, I plan to patch the score through superior samples.

Not too sound like a moron, but how exactly do you plan to do that? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

yeah You said it Thor.

And a shame you found it unremarkable Alan, because it really isn't. shocked

Never heard it before but I've just spent some time on youtube listening to tracks from The Dig and I have to side with Thor and Gilles, I was quite astonished at how good the music is and yes, it certainly has that "religious" sound.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BILL BROWN's :RAINBOW SIX. Awesome stuff and very ahead of its time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. I have the whole MIDI score downloaded (yes!), I have a notation program which has orchestral samples, so basically I load the MIDI files tot he program and save the WAV files, which in turn can be made MP3.
  9. Sweet, I'd love to hear how those MIDI tunes turn out upsampled. I didn't know something like that existed.
  10. Thor wrote

WC3 was really where I first recognized the socalled "fluttering sci fi chords", i.e. strings running quickly up and down the scale, if you know what I mean (to connote the vastness of space, I don't know). Interestingly, my favourite part of this game was not the missions or the flight simulations, but the film bits and walking around the space ship to suck up the atmosphere (the distant sound of ship engines etc.).

I don't know what you mean with the fluttering sci-fi chords, but I understand how you feel, had the music been fully orchestrated at the time, it would have been a fantastic game score. At least how it made me feel playing it.

Those were my favourite parts too, the movie segments were great for me as they blended two favourite pastimes together, watching films and playing games. Granted re-playing the dated game mechanics now would be grating to say the least. BTW, did you ever play WC IV Thor? That one was totally superior in every way. They used real sets, the acting was better, the storyline cooler and had one hell of a twist, that floored me when I first saw it. It involved Tolwyn, and I won't say more...

Also, you may not know this, but sometime ago, somebody I used to know on a WC-related board made movies out of all these film segments of both WC III and IV. He edited all those clips together to form a more or less coherent film experience. Playable with any Windows media player, in superb audio and video quality (5.1 sound for WC IV). I have both films on a disc somewhere. Should they interest you, I'll have to upload them somewhere. It beats having to replay the game just to watch the cool bits. Like Blair punching Maniac in the face in WC IV. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I vote for Outlaws.

That is all.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No, they wouldn't. When I have some time, I plan to patch the score through superior samples.

Please please PLEASE let me hear it when you do smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't know what you mean with the fluttering sci-fi chords, but I understand how you feel, had the music been fully orchestrated at the time, it would have been a fantastic game score. At least how it made me feel playing it.

Listen to the MIDI strings in the background at 0:15 and onwards, those are my socalled "sci fi chords":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8vD5y0eE8

Those were my favourite parts too, the movie segments were great for me as they blended two favourite pastimes together, watching films and playing games. Granted re-playing the dated game mechanics now would be grating to say the least. BTW, did you ever play WC IV Thor? That one was totally superior in every way. They used real sets, the acting was better, the storyline cooler and had one hell of a twist, that floored me when I first saw it. It involved Tolwyn, and I won't say more...

Of course I played IV too; it even included the brilliant Malcolm McDowell. I agree about the better production values, but I somehow have a more nostalgic relationship to III. I never really played I and II.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Me neither, when I saw III reviewed in a UK PC games magazine, I simply had to have it. Seeing those awesome screenshots from famous actors against green screens and cool space combat (cool at the time) made me drool all over the pages. By the time IV was being developed I followed it even more, knew all the characters, anticipating its release. WC IV was also one of the first games being released on the DVD-Rom format after its initial CD-Rom release, which allowed for amazing video-quality of the film segments, unseen at the time for videogames (1997 I think). beer

But we're drifting here.

And if I can make a recommendation for a brilliant orchestral Final Fantasy album if you don't know about the series, and a great introduction to Nobuo Uematsu's writing style: listen to Final Fantasy VIII: Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec. Goosebumps guaranteed !!!! wink
  12. Main title theme from Panzer Dragoon (1995).

Orchestra !!! love

Shame the rest of the soundtrack was only synthesized but I like the music nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Main title theme from Panzer Dragoon (1995).

Orchestra !!! love

Shame the rest of the soundtrack was only synthesized but I like the music nonetheless.

Interesting, this was before the seminal Broughton score too.

As I said, I never really played console games, but there's apparently a treasure trove there to be discovered.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Me neither, when I saw III reviewed in a UK PC games magazine, I simply had to have it. Seeing those awesome screenshots from famous actors against green screens and cool space combat (cool at the time) made me drool all over the pages. By the time IV was being developed I followed it even more, knew all the characters, anticipating its release. WC IV was also one of the first games being released on the DVD-Rom format after its initial CD-Rom release, which allowed for amazing video-quality of the film segments, unseen at the time for videogames (1997 I think). beer

"Interactive movies", as I believe they were called, were always a pleasure of mine. THE RIPPER (with Chris Walken!), THE 7TH GUEST (from 1993, the first of its kind?), GABRIEL KNIGHT: THE BEAST WITHIN, MYST, the PHANTASMAGORIA games etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Yes, they were pretty popular back then, but they weren't always very 'playable', more like 'viewable' if you know what I mean. And its incredible how the interactive movies of today don't use real actors anymore. Pure digital characters than can 'almost' portray real emotions. Not in Avatar territory yet, but it's getting there.
  14. One of the Wing Commander games had Malcolm McDowell, both Mark Hamill (and I haven't played any!)

Most of the FMV (Full Motion Video) games were really short and all you had to do is click in the right place in the right moment, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    One of the Wing Commander games had Malcolm McDowell, both Mark Hamill (and I haven't played any!)

Most of the FMV (Full Motion Video) games were really short and all you had to do is click in the right place in the right moment, yes.

McDowell was in IV, yes. A fine performance too.

At the time, this was actually the first time I had seen the "contemporary" Hamill in anything after the STAR WARS films. If you disregard his voicing in FULL THROTTLE - another excellent Lucasarts game with cool music!
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Did you play the CD version of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father?

Mark Hamill voiced the cop friend of yours (inspector Mosely, Mostly as Gabriel says) and Tim Curry as Gabriel. Brilliance.