• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Did you play the CD version of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father?

Mark Hamill voiced the cop friend of yours (inspector Mosely, Mostly as Gabriel says) and Tim Curry as Gabriel. Brilliance.

Afraid not. I only played the one with dialogue in text. Number 2 is really one of the most awesome gaming experiences of my life, while I never really played nr. 3 (I remember my father getting it and playing it, but I never got around it...it came out in 1999, as my interest had waned).

Cool to hear that Hamill was involved. He seemed to do lots of these things.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Hamill voiced The Joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum recently, a part he absolutely nailed IMO, with the absolute madness and over the top shenanigans we expect of the character... He seems to be rather good at this. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Hamill voiced The Joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum recently, a part he absolutely nailed IMO, with the absolute madness and over the top shenanigans we expect of the character... He seems to be rather good at this. smile

He also played a villain in the short lived live action, The Flash.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Hamill became quite the star in voice acting, though it's the Joker part that is the staple of his career in this particular field. That said, I still haven't seen the thriller where he plays a psychopath. It's either The Hitcher (original) or one of its variations.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Hamill didn't act in The Hitcher. That was Rutger Hauer in the original and Sean Bean in the remake. It must be in a similar movie then.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    Just finished the new 5-part MONKEY ISLAND games from Telltale, and it really took me back to the good ol' days.

Great music by Michael Land, which harkened back to the glory days, albeit perhaps a bit more atmospheric.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah Like! Like! Like!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Have you played the new ones, Martijn?

One of the advantages of being "chained to my apartment" is that I get to play a bit of computer games again. Especially now that adventure games are somewhat back in fashion.

I'm looking at buying the BACK TO THE FUTURE games next.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bill Brown's awasome main theme for TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOX SIX
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bill Brown's awasome main theme for TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOX SIX

I seem to remember that, although it came out in 1999, which was the tailend of my gaming days. It was a traditional 3D shoot'em-up, wasn't it? Not my kind of game, but I'm sure it had some great music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Well, I tried to on the iPad, but the controls are very sluggy (at least I find them incredibly hard to get used to).
    So I might purchase it for PC instead.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've just started the new BACK TO THE FUTURE games, and boy do they take me back (no pun intended) -- not only in terms of gameplay, but also in terms of the whole atmosphere of the films; since I'm now able to move around in the worlds the films created.

Great stuff, even though the puzzles themselves are fairly easy -- at least compared to the old Lucasarts games (and even the new MONKEY ISLANDs).

Very cool with the small references to the plotlines from the films, while opening up with lots more stuff.

Silvestri's classic score and themes are used a lot throughout, and maybe even some filler material in the same vein composed by someone else? It seems fully orchestral to me...no samplers. Can anyone tell me more about these scores?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Well, I tried to on the iPad, but the controls are very sluggy (at least I find them incredibly hard to get used to).
    So I might purchase it for PC instead.

Yeah, I would imagine it would be pretty awkward and difficult to play on one's ipads.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Not about the music, but I wish someone would do a clean-up of the old THE DIG game, arguably my favourite computer game of all time. You know, like Telltale did with MONKEY ISLAND recently.

I actually think I'm up for playing through it yet again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Make mine Dark Forces...lost many, many hours on that back in '95. smile
  4. What about TIE Fighter and its wonderful variations (heroic!) on Imperial March?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, all the STAR WARSes and INDIANA JONES games are good, with some cool twists and uses of Williams' material. They could do with some clean-up too, esp. FATE OF ATLANTIS.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Not about the music, but I wish someone would do a clean-up of the old THE DIG game, arguably my favourite computer game of all time. You know, like Telltale did with MONKEY ISLAND recently.

I actually think I'm up for playing through it yet again.

Holy shit, I'd pay the money for a team to do a remake in an instant.

THE DIG is a brilliant, brilliant interactive sci-fi movie. punk
  6. I didn't know whether to put this in the 'Clever people, clever things' topic but as this is PC game music related...

Tie Fighter videogame soundtrack semi-orchestrated by some clever dude

An incredible job IMO. Sounds a lot better than what I remember from playing the game. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    I didn't know whether to put this in the 'Clever people, clever things' topic but as this is PC game music related...

Tie Fighter videogame soundtrack semi-orchestrated by some clever dude

An incredible job IMO. Sounds a lot better than what I remember from playing the game. punk

Nice. It's obviously much fuller than the original MIDI. I would argue, however, that if you're going to listen to STAR WARS music, it's probably better to listen to the original JW film scores rather than synth sample-remixed versions of MIDI-version arrangements. wink

That being said, I have a nostalgic connection to several of those games (DARK FORCES moreso than TIE FIGHTER).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. It raised a smile on my face, but then I'm a big nostalgic too.

Did you know that the last game in the series 'X-Wing Alliance' from 1999 used the live orchestra pieces from the original trilogy? All tunes were cut up and the music was updated on the fly to reflect what action was going on. First you're flying on some random underscore from Return of the Jedi, then a Star Destroyer would show along with Vader's theme, then when you blasted enough Tie fighters Luke's theme would appear. Great times with that game, for the true Star Wars fan it was a must-play.

It was essentially like Tie Fighter for the inflight missions but it was the Willliams material that was used entirely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    Yeah, I seem to remember that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017 edited
    Thor, this is a heads up for you ! Saw it posted on Filmtracks, had to bring it to attention over here. cool

Kickstarter campaign for Wing Commander Orchestral Recording Volume 2

I missed the first volume so I might as well go ahead and help fund this since I love the music from WC III and IV. IMO the original synthesized scores were composed to be performed by live musicians.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017
    Cool! Bring it on! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    I should have updated this thread when I did a podcast episode about this very subject last year. Obviously, it's in Norwegian, so you won't understand a word, but you can view the playlist and scroll to the music clips in the episode if you're interested:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … illmusikk/
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I mostly played educational computer games (my parents were both school teachers) but I did play a little of Mist for a time. I don't remember much of the music from any of the games I played, so apparently they didn't make much of an impression on me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I mostly played educational computer games (my parents were both school teachers) but I did play a little of Mist for a time. I don't remember much of the music from any of the games I played, so apparently they didn't make much of an impression on me. smile

I played both MYST and RIVEN in the 90s, but found them excruciatingly difficult (and I was an adventure game buff). So not sure if I completed them. But Robyn Miller's music is excellent; moody and ambient. They have been released on soundtrack albums.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Never played Myst or Riven but one of the themes from one of the Myst games is a favourite. Myst III I think.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn