• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. In honour of the announcement of AMC that they are going to renew the series 'The Walking Dead' for a second season after being only two episodes into the first season, I started this thread.

So far I've only watched the first episode but I was very impressed by Bear McCreary's restrained scoring for this series.

He doesn't score this series as a typical horror show, as quite a few of the more scary scenes are acually without score (which makes sure you keep being on edge the entire time).

Mostly, the emotional scenes are scored with subtle music. And it really got me.

Anybody else been following this series?

I'm going of line now to watch the second episode ;-).

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    Just got episode 1 yesterday , gonna take a peek at it asap ... wink

So , do you like zombie movies Elin ?
    If so , what's your favourite one ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. No she just likes Bear... tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Eric wrote
    Just got episode 1 yesterday , gonna take a peek at it asap ... wink

So , do you like zombie movies Elin ?
    If so , what's your favourite one ?
    DreamTheater wrote
    No she just likes Bear... tongue

Yeah,

Gilles is right. I started watching because of Bear.
    But maybe the combination of Bear and Darabont can get me into the genre.

I have nothing for or against zombie movies. I liked '28 days later' if that can be classified as a zombie movie. But generally I'm not that experienced in the horror genre. I like the thriller aspect of it, and the darker themes, but not so much the slasher aspects. So I like horror when it's something like The Cube'.

Have you got any tips, any movies that should be on my 'not to be missed' list?

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited
    Shaun of the Dead if you like it a bit more comical / cynical. It's actually great fun.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) for good shocks and thrills.

Resident Evil, not so great but it helps if you've played the games.

Of course Eric should list some older classics he grew up with.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    So is this, like, a TV series about zombies? Wow, I can't remember having seen that before. Film series, sure, but not a regular TV series.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    So is this, like, a TV series about zombies? Wow, I can't remember having seen that before. Film series, sure, but not a regular TV series.

Hi Thor,

You should definitely check it out. It's being directed by Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) and executive produced by Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens). So good people at the helm.

And I can tell you after having watched two episodes: they are NOT cutting back on the gore. It's all nicely shown in HD and in close up.

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010 edited
    Smooth! I'll definitely be checking it out.

By the way, I've recently gone through CAPRICA (despite knowing that the series will end mid-air next year), and really liked it. McReary's score was more fullbodied and lyrical than BG, and a superb theme that actually reminded me of TWIN PEAKS a bit, especially when it pans across the Adama family.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Thor wrote

Hi Thor,

You should definitely check it out. It's being directed by Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) and executive produced by Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens). So good people at the helm.

And I can tell you after having watched two episodes: they are NOT cutting back on the gore. It's all nicely shown in HD and in close up.

Elin

Just the fact that Frank Darabont is at the helm means I'm very interested.

Elin, if you want a good dose of more old fashioned style horror then check out Darabont's film The Mist, taken from a Stephen King story and a great homage to H.P. Lovecraft.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

By the way, I've recently gone through CAPRICA (despite knowing that the series will end mid-air next year), and really liked it. McReary's score was more fullbodied and lyrical than BG, and a superb theme that actually reminded me of TWIN PEAKS a bit, especially when it pans across the Adama family.

I was really disappointed in Caprica. I still haven't actually got to the end of Battlestar Galactica (though I must - I like it a lot) and maybe that may have had some impact, but I don't think so. Just didn't like it. Nothing wrong with the score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

I was really disappointed in Caprica. I still haven't actually got to the end of Battlestar Galactica (though I must - I like it a lot) and maybe that may have had some impact, but I don't think so. Just didn't like it. Nothing wrong with the score though.

I was actually very positively surprised by CAPRICA, as I had been told it was more in the style of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES or GREY'S ANATOMY or something. Daytime soap drama intrigues. Well, count me wrong -sci fi is ALL over it, in addition to having this mythic back drop, large family saga plotlines and complex characters. In fact, I would say that the series is more interesting than BG was during the last season, where it could become awfully, awfully talkative in certain episodes and just plain-out BORING.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    No she just likes Bear... tongue

moon biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    nothing beats 28 weeks / days later when it comes to zombie movies and scores
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    nothing beats 28 weeks / days later when it comes to zombie movies and scores

Utter and complete nonsense!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    and what would that be instead ?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One name....

George Romero.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Skating_Lientje wrote

Have you got any tips, any movies that should be on my 'not to be missed' list?

Elin

As far as zombie movies go , the original George A. Romero trilogy is a must see in my book .
    By that I mean Night of the Living Dead , Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead .
    Land of the Dead (2005) is also watchable , but the last two he made - Diary of the Dead (2007) & Survival of the Dead (2009) were a serious step down for me . His Creepshow (1982) is also good fun !

You've already seen 28 Days Later which was a good one , but I prefer 28 Weeks Later the follow up .

Gilles already mentioned Shaun of the Dead which is also a must see . I just love that movie !

I'm also a big fan of the Resident Evil movies - they have some great visuals and lots of action .
    The final shot of the first RE film is one of my all time favourites , when Milla Jovovich leaves the Umbrella research center ... just awesome !

The 'new' Night of the Living Dead (1990) directed by Tom Savini is also worth a watch . Some great visuals in that one as well and with a female lead who starts off scared as the zombie break-out occurs but then during the film starts to fight back . A great performance by actrice Patricia Tallman .

The remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004) is also very good and kinda surprised me because I thought it was gonna be sh*t - as a big fan of the original . Director Zack Snyder did an awesome job and the use of fast moving zombies add to the tension off course . The Day of the Dead (2008) remake was seriously over the top with zombies who could crawl across roofs and stuff like Spider-Man does ! Bloody weird !

Timmer already mentioned The Mist which you definitely should check out asap ...
    A movie which has one of the most daring endings I've seen in a while !
    But no spoilers here ...

I could go on forever on the subject but I'll leave it at that ...
    If you would like a list of some other classics which are worth a watch just let me know and I'll send it to you through pm ... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sadly I gather the series is already deviating from the landmark comics series (which is one of the best, most mature, thought-provoking and human -utterly soebring and disturbingly so- takes on the concept I have ever read), so I'm a bit weary now, Bear or no. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pedo bear would love you too Skating wink
  5. To react in a certain former member's fashion...

confused

No really...

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing nothing. Get back to Zombies wink
  6. You mean 'shuffle back' ? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    To react in a certain former member's fashion...

confused

No really...

confused

yeah

confused confused confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Where do you live people. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Christodoulides wrote
    Where do you live people. wink

Not there obviously ... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never heard of Pedobear either. Freaky stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. What is really freaky is that D knows about that bear. freezing
  8. And apologies for using this topic for everything but zombies or Mr. McCreary, Elin. shame

Let's shuffle back on topic please !
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    And apologies for using this topic for everything but zombies or Mr. McCreary, Elin. shame

Right you are sir - let's go back to the shuffling dead !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    And apologies for using this topic for everything but zombies or Mr. McCreary, Elin. shame

yeah how could we do this? Go off topic in mt?