• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    I thought there was a topic for this, but apparently I was wrong?
    Anyway:

Winnie-The-Pooh (full dramatisation, starring Stephen Fry as Pooh, Jane Horrocks as Piglet, Judi Dench as Kanga and Geoffrey Palmer as Eeyore).
    A double CD presentation of A.A. Milne's classic children's tale. I've always been a fan of audio drama, and this cast was just too fine (and spot on as far as typecasting goes!) to pass up. House At Pooh Corner is available as well, and if this is half as good as I hope it is, that'll be the next purchase!

Love That Louie: The Louie Louie Story - various artists
    Tracing the origin of that famous song (my very favourite pop tune EVER!) from its original Richard Berry version through its most famous incarnation by The Kingsmen, right from its inspiration points (including Chuck Berry's Havana Moon and -oddly!- Mercer's One For My Baby(And One For The Road) ).
    Oddball renditions include a softly sweet Spanish version by The Sandpipers, an astonishingly good instrumental version by Sounds Orchestral and a rather dry, back-to-the-roots variant by The Beach Boys.
    All in all 24 different versions of the fabled song, which is more than enough to EVEN out-Louie a massive fan like me. smile
    Accompanied by a very informative booklet. Good stuff, this! Although rather more historically interesting than a good listen start-to-end.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    i just got the charlie chan radio series
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    as you suspected Martijn, little or no interest
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah well, better to have lived and tried, eh Tom? smile

Who's playing Charlie in the radio series?
    And is it a recording from the 50s series or a newer one?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i think tonight i'll listen to a radio broadcast of the whistler. they were pretty darn good
  1. Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep - Spock's Beard

Five Miles Out - Mike Oldfield (remaster)

Meddle - Pink Floyd (remaster)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    I just received as a present the best radio calls of baseball. Brings back my childhood days on many of them.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013 edited
    God, I can't remember the last time I bought a PHYSICAL disc!

The last non-film album I got in downloadable format was -- if memory serves -- Juno Reactor's latest, THE GOLDEN SUN OF THE GREAT EAST.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    I just got a new Hanssler release of big band material and I was pleasantly surprised. The "Flight of the Bumblebee was to my surprise done on the trombone something I had not heard before. Far far better than anything I could have done myself during my days in the orchestra. Remember if you join classics online which is free your entitled to download 5 free tracks. This is one to hear!!!
    Tom smile

http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue … id=1923225
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/k … -big-band/

My review.
    Tom
  2. I browsed through a stand-up display with bargain priced classical CDs a few hours ago and bought:

Zubin Metha / Los Abgeles Philharmonic Orchestra:
    - Holst: The Planets (1970) ~ The third recording I own, but what the heck?
    - Williams: STAR WARS Suite (1978)

I always wanted to own that SW suite. It is comparable to the suite Gerhardt recorded back then and it had some impact in the classical world.

Vaughan Williams:
    Neville Marriner / Academy of Martin's Football Field (1972)
    - Fantasia on Greensleeves
    - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
    - The Lark Ascending
    London Philharmonic Orchestra / Roger Norrington (1998)
    - Symphony No.5 in D major

Both CDs: Decca Virtuoso

smile Volker
  3. Craig Armstrong's "It's Nearly Tomorrow". Armstrong does what Armstrong does. No surprises here, but it is very, very nice.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    I browsed through a stand-up display with bargain priced classical CDs a few hours ago and bought:

Zubin Metha / Los Abgeles Philharmonic Orchestra:
    - Holst: The Planets (1970) ~ The third recording I own, but what the heck?
    - Williams: STAR WARS Suite (1978)

I always wanted to own that SW suite. It is comparable to the suite Gerhardt recorded back then and it had some impact in the classical world.

Vaughan Williams:
    Neville Marriner / Academy of Martin's Football Field (1972)
    - Fantasia on Greensleeves
    - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
    - The Lark Ascending
    London Philharmonic Orchestra / Roger Norrington (1998)
    - Symphony No.5 in D major

Both CDs: Decca Virtuoso

smile Volker

I can't comment on the Star Wars recording which I've not heard but the Vaughan Williams is BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    Synchrotones wrote
    Craig Armstrong's "It's Nearly Tomorrow". Armstrong does what Armstrong does. No surprises here, but it is very, very nice.

How does it compare to his other 2, very good and succesfull studio albums 'The Space Between Us' and 'as if to nothing' ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Timmer wrote

I can't comment on the Star Wars recording which I've not heard but the Vaughan Williams is BRILLIANT!

It's a fine recording, some unusual tempi but I don't mind that in re-recodings. Not better than Kojian (love), Gerhardt or Williams himself (Philips, not Sony) though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSynchrotones
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Synchrotones wrote
    Craig Armstrong's "It's Nearly Tomorrow". Armstrong does what Armstrong does. No surprises here, but it is very, very nice.

How does it compare to his other 2, very good and succesfull studio albums 'The Space Between Us' and 'as if to nothing' ?

I hold TSBU in very high esteem, so I'm inclined to say that INT doesn't quite reach those soaring heights. It's probably on par with AITN. I do have to say, I have only listened to INT twice (the second time was in the car), so I've yet to really settle into it; but first impressions are along the lines of "really nice, especially the songs are very good, but there is nothing (or little) that truly jumps out at you". As you'd probably expect, it has lots of strings, piano and some beats. All in true Armstrong fashion. It's all quite subdued, melancholy, even the songs, despite the fact they're about love (but again, I've yet to properly take in the lyrics). You know, if I'm really harsh I'm inclined to say that it works great as background music, but if you pay too close attention to it, it kinda drags a bit. I find some tracks a bit too long, whilst not particularly interesting.

Again though... this is merely a quick, first impression. And also, Craig Armstrong is a bit like Thomas Newman, in that they are very classy, stylish, high-quality composers, even when they simply do the same thing they always do. So, if you like Armstrong you'll like this album, but don't expect to blown away.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014
    Thanks, perfect assessment for me. Love his music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014
    I don't think I've bought a physical album in God knows how long. Probably some of the latest Elfman and Williams. And non-film music is even longer.

However, I WILL be buying the upcoming ENDLESS RIVER album by Pink Floyd in CD format, their last one ever (actually an old album, but you know what I mean).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    While I've not purchased any either for a long time I do get an endless supply from the thrift store which encompasses all types of music.
    Tom
  5. Ooh, I'm loving Kiasmos (aka Olafur Arnalds + Janus Rasmussen). Dreamy piano, ambient synths mixed with stylish, (for the most part) minimalistic electronica (ie. beats and bass)... a wonderful chill out album rooted in dance; and towards the end, "Bent" hands out a serious asskicking - if you like this sort-of acid / trance-like music.