• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    Tom, i own vinyls and a professional sound system too. I know what you're talking about, it's my work, i don't need convincing. But people do tend to get a bit "know-it-all" and annoying.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tom, i own vinyls and a professional sound system too. I know what you're talking about, it's my work, i don't need convincing. But people do tend to get a bit "know-it-all" and annoying.

They sure do my friend. I'm so glad we're on the same page. smile
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    Erik and I had a further discussion about this as well as further experimenting being done.
    1... The superior sound quality for comes from playing a CD through my tube player with the stipulation that it is lossless. If I take 320kps files and transfer them to a CD and then play it on my player

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/jolida-jd100_e.html

the quality of the sound is unacceptable. However, if I transfer a lossless file and play it then the quality is fine. The sound is far better listening that way as opposed to listening to the file on my computer.

I listened to two different CD Players (Philips & Sony) and comparing a CD, Computer, and Lossless file. The results were as follows. The sound from the lossless and the CD played through my stereo system were exactly the same. The sound from the computer was less than the players. I played the file through headphones and also my stereo system with and without headphones. My Grado pro headphones sound ok played through my system but the sound is nothing special at all through the computer, not much more than a bose radio unit. The Philips produced a slightly better sound than the Sony unit but neither came close to the jolida unit. The sound from the Philips was perfect if you like clinical and sterile. The jolida produces a warmer sound (it should for a $1000) but many people don't like it. I do.

My advice buy a jolida and you might be surprised at what you hear. And get those damn buds/phones off your ears and listen to a nice pair of speakers.
    Thomas
  1. Interesting to read your comparisons Tom.

Unfortunately my own listening habits are driven more by circumstance and convenience. Hence my own listening to 320kbps mp3 files.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    320 files at least to my ear are like listening to a nice fm radio. you're selling yourself short my friend
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Seriously, Tom... you must have Superman hearing to tell the difference between 320k and CD quality. 128k to 160k is more like FM radio.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If I listen to a 320 file or a CD on my computer through my headphones I can't hear the difference but put the CD in my Jolida and Klipsch horn corner speakers and you'll hear the difference. Ask D and he'll agree with me I think
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm pretty sure he will not, Tom. smile

Like Erik said: it takes hearing well beyond human physical capability to tell the difference without machinery and programs for sophisticated analysis.

Yet many people insist they hear the difference (which to my mind is WAY more to do with the psychology of the situation than the phsyics. Which is exactly what Demetris is investigating in his paper. Which is why I am so very interested in his work, once it becomes published.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    Well, depends. My studies have to do with studio monitors mostly and generally flat-response scientifically-acknowledged models which are far from the usually much-bass-much-treble-no-mid frequencies’ state of the home hi-fi systems. I am not familiar with Tom's setup, but if it's an audiophile setup it complicates stuff even further, as those systems sometimes use techniques which are departed from the usual industry standards. Generally speaking audiophiles is an area i don't ever want to step into; most of them are lunatic fanatics and know-it-all types, AGAIN I am not talking bout you Tom 

However, someone has to perform blind tests to you Tom and with repertoire you haven't heard before, i.e be as neutral and unbiased as possible, to see the real outcome; even that would still be subjective, but naturally less than what you get with your own tests that you perform at home for which you already know "the answer" before-hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/k … -overview/

Mine are the 60's version, very similiar.

http://www.roger-russell.com/amplif1.htm

my model is a MC225

http://www.roger-russell.com/preamps.htm

My model is a C22

http://www.roger-russell.com/columns/columns.htm#sweet

The above was the original system my dad and i built keeping in mind we were still mono. eventually i bit the bullet and got the klipsch. i really liked the sound from the original mercury recordings of the 50's. that engineer was something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would really like to hear more about these so called pro headphones too.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr125.htm

those are the phones i'm using currently. for headphones they're adequate but i'm not a headphone person as you know. open to suggestions on an improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    still waiting for an opinion on the high end headphones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    http://tinyurl.com/2e5rrk4
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    thanks Erik but I want your opinion along with D
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    also take a look at what i have now in the grado headphones
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't have high end headphones but I have used them before and the sound quality is mind blowing!

A lot of the high head studio monitoring headphones go for no less than $400 and work there way up from there. The only way for you to know for sure is to go out and try some on. There are a few audio/visual shops in and around town here that have a wall of headphones ranging from $10 to $1000 that you can try on. You can bring in your own CD's, Discman's, iPod's, etc and try them out before you make a purchase. Everyone's ears are different so you are going to have to do this test yourself. Also, follow that Google search I just sent you are read some articles. Do some research. Personally, Denon, Sennheiser and Bose make excellent high end headphones. Check this site out!

Anyway, if you are serious about making a purchase don't make it a quick or blind purchase.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sennheiser does make sense as i once had a pair of them. i'll check them out for sure. i agree about taking my time. the key for me will be how do they sound on my antiquated system which is excellent but old other than the cd player which is 8 years old. i'll need a return policy or no deal.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Statement-S … -1-catcorr

I do admit I was quite impressed with these phones
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010
    I own sennheiser's and we do at the studio as well. I am very disappointed from most of our models. If i was to buy new headphones now, i'd go for Beyer Dynamics, like these babes here which i've heard (i am extremely again blind-buys and if i don't listen to something i can't have an opinion on it, this is why i cannot comment on the set you linked Tom) and which sound very sweet. AKG's makes some good models too. All their series is pretty good though, stuff for all pockets. http://www.thomann.de/gr/beyerdynamic_headphones.html However, it's a matter of personal preference and i always prefer a good pair of speakers over headphones for my listening pleasure and mixing. Headphones creates a very specific localization and stereo impression within our heads, far away from the standard and norm, i..e what we've used to listen to normally. Plus, when you listen from speakers, you have the room contributing as well which can be a good thing as well, if the room has some good acoustic traits. And speakers are always more natural.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i have a question about the 250 ohms?????
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited
    From what i know, the higher the ohms, the more professional equipment (consoles, mixers and such) you can connect your headphones to and the more expensive they are. For home equipment you are good with around 80ohms, it should be enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    thanks D. Will have a listen to these. Certainly they're a lot cheaper than the Grado
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    Tried the Beyer and found the Grado to be the far superior product. I'm going to evaluate the $300 Grado and compare them to the Beyer.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    D you should have a listen to the Grado units sometime.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i would if they were not so expensive. That amount of money for headphones is unrealistic imo. Tom my friend you should compare products of the same price range.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Right now I'm just trying to sort out what is available in San Diego. Will listen to the 325i Grado that sells for $299.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    That's a way more reasonable price smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    The obstacle that I have is a noise level in the bldg along with the fact that concrete isn't exactly ideal for good sound quality. No wall board but solid concrete that requires 5 minutes to drill a small hole, yikes! I really detest phones but being put into the position I'm in I have to consider all options and make the best of my situation.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010
    I can report this to you. The Chandos 24bit/96kHz are really quality recordings. I'm listening to the Gunning right now and the clarity even from my $100 cans are superb. Compared to other stuff well there is no comparison. England is lucky to have Gamba and the BBC Philharmonic.
    Thomas
  2. sdtom wrote
    England is lucky to have Gamba and the BBC Philharmonic.
    Thomas

Should I say something or not?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn